PDA

View Full Version : New member

AlsMusicShopNY
Feb-22-2014, 12:01pm
My name is Sean Mason. I am a long time trumpet player with a BM in Jazz and Classical trumpet performance. I have been playing music for over 20 years. I am also a graduate of the Renton Technical College Band Instrument Repair Program. So, I do have a musical background. That said, I am very new to the mandolin. I have been doing repairs (brass and woodwind) for Al's Music Shop in Port Jervis New York for a few years now, and the owner has recently commissioned me to maintain his online webstore. This has put me in the position of selling many instruments I am not overly familiar with. Although the store owner is very knowledgeable about all the instruments he sells, I have been scouring the interwebs trying to educate myself. That said, I have no desire to be a know-nothing sales rep. I love music, and I want to learn everything I can about these instruments. I look forward to reading your posts, and hopefully after I start to know what I'm talking about, contributing as well. Thanks for all the helpful information.

Jim
Feb-22-2014, 12:04pm
Welcome Sean, You certainly found the place to learn all you ever wanted to know and more about mandolins.

Mike Arakelian
Feb-22-2014, 12:46pm
Welcome to the Cafe, Sean. It's great that you want to educate yourself regarding some new instruments...I'm sure your customers will appreciate your newfound knowledge. What brands and models of mandolins does/will your shop carry?

AlsMusicShopNY
Feb-22-2014, 12:55pm
Right now we have Kentucky, Gold Tone and Oscar Schmidt in stock. But, we are looking to expand soon and get into more higher end, hand made Mandolins. We would love opinions on what you would like to see us carry, or any items that are hard to find. I don't know if posting direct links is frowned on, I don't want to come off as spammy, but if you click the link in my signature and browse around you will see that we carry many high end and hard to find banjos, harps, dulcimers and more. Our mandolin stock is small right now, but we are working in that.