PDA

View Full Version : Performing with blondes, and tortoise binding

Misty Stanley-Jones
Feb-21-2014, 5:46pm
First, I apologize if this has been asked. I did try to search, but didn't find much. ~:>

I've currently got a F5G on order, but I'm not a huge fan of the burst and I'm thinking of changing my order to a Gold Rush. The vendor has already told me I could. It would cost more but I like the look, and I kind of assume that blondes require more careful wood selection and binding so it might be a slight quality bump, or at least slightly more assurance of quality.

But I've watched heaps of mandolin performances on YouTube, mostly bluegrass, old time, and country. I can't recall anyone playing a blonde mandolin on stage. Of course that doesn't really matter, but I just wonder if I'm missing something. I have seen threads here about resale value but I'm not particularly bothered about that. More about being that tool who brings a classical guitar to a bluegrass convention, kind of thing. Is there anything that makes a blonde the wrong tool for the job?

I'm also wondering if the tortoise binding is more or less durable than the ivoroid. I assume they are the same stuff, just a different color.

Charlieshafer
Feb-21-2014, 5:59pm
it's all just looks. Get what you like, and when you're famous, everyone will want what you have. There are those who feel a varnish vs. lacquer finish affect the sound, but coloring doesn't.

roysboy
Feb-21-2014, 6:07pm
it's all just looks. Get what you like, and when you're famous, everyone will want what you have. There are those who feel a varnish vs. lacquer finish affect the sound, but coloring doesn't.

Exactement ...sounds like it'll be a beautiful looking instrument

Paul Busman
Feb-21-2014, 6:22pm
Many people are hesitant to try anything "different". If Bill Monroe didn't have a blonde, they don't want one.
Go with what you like and you'll be happiest.

belbein
Feb-21-2014, 6:24pm
I personally don't like the the sunburst. I think it looks cheap. I know it's traditional, and it's hard to actually apply that finish, so I'm not criticizing. But I just don't like the look.

I think some of the newer mandolin players--the Sarah Jarosz generation, if not she herself--play less traditional mandolins.

Misty Stanley-Jones
Feb-21-2014, 6:42pm
I decides to change it. Thanks all. Hats off to Dennis at the Mandolin Store for not being sick of my questions and for being very patient with me!

Anyone have a photo of a 30+ year old blonde mandolin?

Mike Bunting
Feb-21-2014, 6:45pm
I think that the good players on any generation play the instruments that sound the best to them.
Jesse McReynolds played a blond mando for awhile. At a workshop with Jethro one time Jesse commented that the blonds were more expensive. Jethro concurred, saying the blonds that he had known had cost him more too.

sgarrity
Feb-21-2014, 7:02pm
This one is 10 yrs old. It's the only blonde Master Model.

mrmando
Feb-21-2014, 7:12pm
Evan Marshall performs with a blonde. Of course, so does Lady Gaga's entire band.

BlueMt.
Feb-21-2014, 7:33pm
Of course, so does Lady Gaga's entire band.

Except for the times when her hair is blue, green, pink or white. ;)

Misty Stanley-Jones
Feb-21-2014, 8:42pm

That's gorgeous! Did you special order it?

OldSausage
Feb-21-2014, 8:46pm
If Bill Monroe didn't have a blonde, they don't want one.

If Bill Monroe didn't have a blonde, my name's Jesse McReynolds.

Neoclinus
Feb-21-2014, 8:53pm
Well chosen! My baby is also a blond with tortoise, and I think it's a great look. I too am not usually a huge fan of sunbursts (though I have seen exceptions) and prefer to see the grain and color of the wood. I think wood itself can be as much of a piece of art as any other part of the instrument and it's nice to be able to admire it. The blond finish will darken up over time as the wood "sun tans", though this can be more apparent with some spruce which can appear more white, rather than redwood or cedar. Also, I've never encountered or heard of any stigma against unstained finishes. At the bluegrass jams I've been to I've always received interest and complements on my mandolin. I think people, even in more traditional or "musically conservative" settings, generally like to see something different and outside the status quo. Especially when tastefully done. Now maybe if you showed up with a banjolin you'd get some looks...

sgarrity
Feb-21-2014, 8:57pm
I'm actually the third owner of this one. You can search the site here for Blondie and multiple threads will come up about it. It's a great mandolin and I play the heck out of some Monroe on it! :mandosmiley:

DataNick
Feb-21-2014, 9:28pm
I'm actually the third owner of this one. You can search the site here for Blondie and multiple threads will come up about it. It's a great mandolin and I play the heck out of some Monroe on it! :mandosmiley:

Roger That!

I've heard it, played it...and it's opening up somethin' fierce...it's already a beast and likely will be a monster, and it's x-braced!

Tremendous mando, and the guy who owns it is one "Dead Eye" Monroe picker!

For those of you not familiar with that descriptor "Dead Eye" means on the mark!

dcoventry
Feb-21-2014, 9:52pm
Blondes have more fun. These are the guitar versions:

Toni Schula
Feb-22-2014, 3:20am
A blonde with a blonde. Both from Czech Republic.

http://www.krishot.com/ekrishot/fotky/zrzecka.jpg

That's Zuzka K. of New Pauza and her Blonde F5 Krishot.

Lord of the Badgers
Feb-22-2014, 3:43am

Sorry - not an F style!

Shortloin
Feb-22-2014, 4:18am
My number 1 is a Blondie and it is my weapon of choice for all sessions. My other mandos rarely gets out of their cases nowadays (sad but true)

Edit: ok, reread the post and saw that you wanted a photo of a 30+ blonde mandolin - I sadly posted a pic of a 30+ bald mandolinist ;)

mrmando
Feb-22-2014, 4:57am
Sure.
Oh, wait. Not quite what you asked for. How about this:

Paul Busman
Feb-22-2014, 8:23am
Be sure to post a picture once you get your blonde!

Misty Stanley-Jones
Feb-22-2014, 8:39am
Thanks all! Feeling good about this.

Sean, you make that mandolin sound amazing!

It may be several months until my blonde is born. I don't have a timeline. Truth be told I hope it doesn't come TOO quickly so I can warm my husband up to the idea! At least give me a few weeks. :)

bluemoonofky
Feb-22-2014, 8:46am
You won't regret the Goldrush

There is a guy that jams with us that has one and it sounds amazing

Jim Adwell
Feb-22-2014, 9:11am
Here's the strange blonde I live with:

You can't really see it in the pic but there's a strap hook built in to the peghead.

Lord of the Badgers
Feb-22-2014, 9:24am
sorry should've said, my blonde is 20 yrs old. Oh dear.

Lord of the Badgers
Feb-22-2014, 9:26am
You can't really see it in the pic but there's a strap hook built in to the peghead.

mine's got one too - just behind the hardware... not the best but it was there when I got the mandolin. If my straps start getting a bit old i have to be careful. In fact I dropped the thing nose first at a gig once, and one tuner's been slightly bent ever since. On the to do list...

stevedenver
Feb-22-2014, 11:10am
blondes are NOT traditional BG, and
in this regard only, it might be limiting in the event of future resale
BG types , imho, are pretty traditional and staid

that being said
I love blonde instruments with contrasting binding, and the woods are better because nothing is hidden, and the beauty of the wood is what I love.

There are some colors, and bursts, however, that are so beautifully subtle and balanced, and artfully applied, they too enhance the wood.

Natural tops are, also, in the tradition of the some the best jazz , classical and many other wooden instruments. It is a contemporary trend imho among the boutique jazz guitar builders, and a good one. It is usually a more expensive option because of the wood needed.

I will eventually have a blonde mando too.

Sean That MM is superb!

Jerry Byers
Feb-22-2014, 11:25am
I like the Gold Rush look. Don't worry about what others think, just play on.

belbein
Feb-25-2014, 3:00pm

It may be several months until my blonde is born. I don't have a timeline. Truth be told I hope it doesn't come TOO quickly so I can warm my husband up to the idea! At least give me a few weeks. :)

Oh, just ask your husband if he'd like a young blonde to move in with you. (You may not want to mention if it's A style or ... well, hmmmm....)

niels
Feb-25-2014, 3:58pm
not a sophisticated mandolin but it fits the description ...

John Ritchhart
Feb-25-2014, 4:39pm
I assume you've seen this demo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_c8TxGz0Rg

bohemianbiker
Feb-25-2014, 4:55pm

Oh, you definitely made the right choice! I am in love with that F-5 Goldrush! bb

Misty Stanley-Jones
Feb-25-2014, 5:00pm
not a sophisticated mandolin but it fits the description ...

Lovely! They do seem to hold their finish well, which is what I wanted to know. :)

Wolfmanbob
Feb-25-2014, 6:33pm
I'm a big fan of blondes, which you can see from the thumbnail of my Lawrence Smart 2 point.

F-2 Dave
Feb-25-2014, 7:40pm
Glad you're getting the Goldrush. I play a blonde Collings with tortoise binding that i just love.

Darrell D
Feb-25-2014, 7:45pm
I play a honey and tortoise Weber on stage all the time in my Bluegrass band.Dont sweat I and enjoy your new mandolin!!

hank
Feb-25-2014, 10:59pm
Welcome to the Cafe Misty, I'm fond of both my golden blonde and classical burst finish mandolin but after playing my Goldrush the first time, the lightening response and raw power of this new 06 Goldrush is what haunted me until I returned to the store and bought her a week later. For me, fun to play wins over looks and perceived sutle tonal differences so when I had a chance to have a mandolin that excelled in all these areas it was a no brainier.
Back then when they first came out the trim was in black with a white inner line before it was changed to tortoise and white. One of the biggest differences in the Goldrush compared to the rest of the Gibson models except the Lawson signature is smaller F holes. I like the look of them a lot but the real bonus is amped up low end in the bass spectrum with a more woody sound even on the treble end. Some of these Goldrushes and Lawson's will really shake your chest cavity with their low end. Something to keep in mind with F5/f hole designs is your true sound is out front and different from the more choked tone you hear when you play them. This may sound irrelevant but many a fine sounding F-5 has been later sold or traded because of this inability to truely hear them while playing them. All in all a Harvey built Goldrush model Gibson is a pretty safe bet for an extraordinary mandolin. I tried to embed some photos but couldn't figure how to drag and drop with an IPad. ~:> Congratulation again on your new Gibson Goldrush.

Misty Stanley-Jones
Feb-26-2014, 5:34am
Well I fessed up to my husband and told him what I ordered. I showed him the Gibson website and he said "but it doesn't look bluegrassy!" So I explained to him that I think I prefer the look. Then he looked at the MSRP and said "you realize that most people spending this much are getting paid to play, right?" *gulp* ... "But it's pretty?"

Then he said "so when can I upgrade my upright bass?" I said "Can you get a better one for 6k?" And he said, "no ... I'd need 18!" LOL

Then he shook his head and said, well what are you doing talking to me? You better go practice and earn this thing!

Funny conversation but I think I've gotten away with it. :)

hank
Feb-26-2014, 6:45am
Your husband plays bass! Wow, how fortunate. Great to hear it's all falling into place for you. I hope you enjoy your Goldrush as much as I have YellowBell(mine).

belbein
Feb-26-2014, 7:39am
Good for him, supporting you like that! He's a prince. You probably should keep him.

Cornelius Morris
Feb-26-2014, 10:02am
Jack Tottle.

Iron
Feb-26-2014, 10:49am

Now that's a good lookin Blonde

Misty Stanley-Jones
Feb-26-2014, 4:50pm
Jack Tottle.

Sorry, you are right. Looks like it's too late for me to correct my mistake in the post itself. :(

hank
Feb-28-2014, 1:56pm
I found a way around the drag and drop limitation with my IPad. I like the way this photo came out in the afternoon filtered light.

DataNick
Feb-28-2014, 3:56pm
Well I fessed up to my husband and told him what I ordered. I showed him the Gibson website and he said "but it doesn't look bluegrassy!" So I explained to him that I think I prefer the look. Then he looked at the MSRP and said "you realize that most people spending this much are getting paid to play, right?" *gulp* ... "But it's pretty?"

Then he said "so when can I upgrade my upright bass?" I said "Can you get a better one for 6k?" And he said, "no ... I'd need 18!" LOL

Then he shook his head and said, well what are you doing talking to me? You better go practice and earn this thing!

Funny conversation but I think I've gotten away with it. :)

That whole exchange is CLASSIC!

"Honey, err I just dropped a boatload of $k on a new Gibson Goldrush cause it's pretty"
Response: "well you better practice those chops to earn it"

You are couple of the year in my book!

Just CLASSIC!

I ordain you the new poster child for MAS...

Misty Stanley-Jones
Feb-28-2014, 8:16pm
You're so right, Nick! Now I just need to get good enough that it doesn't look like I'm a yuppy with too much money when I take it to jams or festivals!

I do think if we ever win the lottery my husband deserves a custom bass. :) he actually HAS made money from playing.

DataNick
Feb-28-2014, 9:29pm
You're so right, Nick! Now I just need to get good enough that it doesn't look like I'm a yuppy with too much money when I take it to jams or festivals!...

As it's so frequently said: "You go Girl!

Eric F.
Feb-28-2014, 10:09pm
Here's a nine-year-old blonde beauty.

Phil Goodson
Feb-28-2014, 10:21pm
I've always thought that the Goldrush is one of the best playing, sounding, and looking mandolins that Gibson makes.
Congratulations on your choice. I think you'll be happy with it.

Eric F.
Mar-01-2014, 10:59am
I'm sure you'll love the Goldrush. I think blonde mandolins are gorgeous. This one's a year away from 30.

testore
Mar-01-2014, 2:02pm
Shaun's blonde Gibson is a spectacular playing,looking and sounding mandolin. Here's my blonde.

Eric F.
Mar-01-2014, 3:06pm
That's a beauty, Gary.

Cheryl Watson
Mar-01-2014, 3:19pm
Tremendous mando, and the guy who owns it is one "Dead Eye" Monroe picker!

For those of you not familiar with that descriptor "Dead Eye" means on the mark!

Oh, before I even got to that explanation, a flash went through my mind of Sean playing his blonde mandolin with one dead eye! :confused: But anyway, I have only heard/seen Sean playing that mandolin on video, not in person, but it seems to really be a match for him. It sure is pretty too.

allenhopkins
Mar-01-2014, 4:32pm
... I can't recall anyone playing a blonde mandolin on stage...

Here's Pete Seeger playing his half-brother Mike's blonde F-5 Fern, on the old Rainbow Quest public TV program.

W_V5KjWy4No

Here's (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?103107-Seeger-s-Blonde-Gibson-Fern) a thread about the instrument; apparently not the original factory finish.

By the way, did y'all know Pete could play mandolin like that?

Misty Stanley-Jones
Mar-01-2014, 5:11pm
This thread is so much fun. Thanks everyone for the lovely photos and videos! Gibson has begun working on my mandolin!

DataNick
Mar-01-2014, 11:01pm
Shaun's blonde Gibson is a spectacular playing,looking and sounding mandolin. Here's my blonde.

Gary,

Is that the one you had with you at the Great 48 with the cedar top?

That was a "killer" mando!

DataNick
Mar-01-2014, 11:02pm
This thread is so much fun. Thanks everyone for the lovely photos and videos! Gibson has begun working on my mandolin!

Congrats!

Now the waiting game begins...

allenhopkins
Mar-02-2014, 12:31pm
My only "blonde" is an Eastman DGM-1 "Dawg" Giacomel clone, purchased at Bernunzio's:

N3aGHHSlcO4

Really nice instrument, especially for the price; probably not the right voice for bluegrass, though I have played a bit of that on the DGM-1.

Above vid is one of John B's promo pieces on YouTube; believe it's the lovely and talented Michelle Y demonstrating...

sgarrity
Mar-02-2014, 8:40pm
Gary's blonde pictured above may be the loudest mandolin I've ever played. Very toneful as well. Next to the Master Models, the Goldrush has consistently been my favorite new gibson model. I think they get it "right" on those.