PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Nashville Flatiron Festival F

mandotrout777
Feb-18-2014, 8:59pm
I just received this 2001 Gibson Flatiron Festival F. http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/105641#.UwQEMBYx-FI

This is an old "ad" by what I think might have been the original owner (based on some other information I've found). I have no idea how many times its changed hands since 2010. I bought it from a reputable used instrument dealer, and I don't in any way question their honesty. Stuff happens sometimes though and I have zero experience with Flatirons so I'm being a little paranoid. Does anybody see anything here that should set off alarm bells? Is this label consistent with other Nashville Flatirons? It is quite a bit different than the Gibson labels I've seen.

The mandolin sounds impressive. I have it on approval and am inclined to keep it, but I would like to know I could sell it for what I paid for it someday, if need be, instead of finding out later that it was a faked up knock-off or something.

Thanks for any help.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-18-2014, 9:05pm
I had a Flatiron Festival A. I don't see anything that would throw up a flag for me. The only people that ever faked a Flatiron was Gibson when they started bringing them in from the far east a few years ago. If you were going to go to the trouble of faking an instrument wouldn't you throw the more expensive label on it? It looks to be very similar to the Gibson F5G. Enjoy it.

Dave LaBoone
Feb-18-2014, 9:27pm
I had one almost identical to that one...great mandolin! I don't think you've got anything to worry about as far as it being a fake.

DataNick
Feb-18-2014, 10:37pm
I had one almost identical to that one...great mandolin! I don't think you've got anything to worry about as far as it being a fake.

Dave,

I believe it's yours; he got it from MandoMutt; ie your Giroud trade, etc.

Jeff,

I've been following that one; Dave's video clips were impressive!

mandotrout777
Feb-18-2014, 10:55pm
Thanks to all. And yes, I suppose it sounds silly suggesting someone would "fake" a Flatiron. Just my own inexperience with them I guess. That and the fact that Gibson kind of messed up the reputation. The mandolin sounds great, and I will enjoy it.

Here's an old Cafe thread I think is about this same one:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?64439-Nice-Flatiron-Master-model-for-sale-interesting-story-with-it

Clement Barrera-Ng
Feb-18-2014, 10:56pm
The mandolin sounds impressive. I have it on approval and am inclined to keep it, but I would like to know I could sell it for what I paid for it someday, if need be, instead of finding out later that it was a faked up knock-off or something.

Thanks for any help.

Congrats on the new Flatiron. If you indeed got it from Kevin then there is nothing you need to worry about. As Nick had mentioned, the former owner had discussed this mandolin on there before, and everything seems legit.

As for whether you can get your money back if you sell it down the road, that's a tougher questions. Market being what it is, prices will fluctuate. But I don't think you'll have trouble breaking even give and take.

mandotrout777
Feb-18-2014, 11:03pm
Congrats on the new Flatiron. If you indeed got it from Kevin then there is nothing you need to worry about. As Nick had mentioned, the former owner had discussed this mandolin on there before, and everything seems legit.

As for whether you can get your money back if you sell it down the road, that's a tougher questions. Market being what it is, prices will fluctuate. But I don't think you'll have trouble breaking even give and take.

Thanks. I did get it from Kevin. He was very patient with me during the process. I was freaking out a bit when the weather down there caused the delivery date to go from Thursday to Tuesday. I wasn't calling him into question at all, but even a dealer can get side-swiped once in a while. Even after all the reading I did about Flatirons I didn't know the previous owner had discussed it on here.

almeriastrings
Feb-18-2014, 11:30pm
These are a GREAT mandolin. Currently somewhat under-valued, in my opinion. They are every bit as good as any of the Big G labeled output of the same era. I have 2001 Performer A and it is really, really good. Being Gibson, they are 'authentic' in terms of inconsistency with regard to labels/stamps too. Some are hand-written. Some stamped like this one. Some have the orange label. Some white... weird!

mandotrout777
Feb-18-2014, 11:47pm
These are a GREAT mandolin. Currently somewhat under-valued, in my opinion. They are every bit as good as any of the Big G labeled output of the same era. I have 2001 Performer A and it is really, really good. Being Gibson, they are 'authentic' in terms of inconsistency with regard to labels/stamps too. Some are hand-written. Some stamped like this one. Some have the orange label. Some white... weird!

Thanks. And thanks for the suggestion about these Gibson Flatirons in my Kentucky/Northfield thread. It caused me to take a detour from where I started in that thread and here I am. I still haven't played a Northfield, but this Flatiron has the tone I was/am looking for.

mandotrout777
Feb-18-2014, 11:52pm

Well, as it turns out this is indeed your old mandolin (I just saw your video clip). It now resides in Helena, Montana. I hope you're happy with your Girouard.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Feb-19-2014, 3:57am
BTW, check out this other recent thread on another 2001 Flatiron Festival:
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?103087-Flatiron-FG5-Sign-by-Michael-Owens-Information-Any-body-know-him&highlight=Michael+Owens

Perhaps it would be fun to check out whether there is also a signature on the underside of the top in yours?

bhaltom
Feb-19-2014, 9:57am
Hey Jeff, I have a Festival-F from 2001, The label looks just like mine and the serial number is very close to mine as well, wonder who signed the inside top, bet its Mr. Owens, if it is you can have zero worries as I have talked with Mr. Owens and he worked at Gibson during 2001.

Josh Levine
Feb-23-2014, 2:39pm
Is the $2000-2300 range par for these at present?

mandotrout777
Feb-23-2014, 6:31pm
Is the $2000-2300 range par for these at present?

I'd say closer to 2k, slightly plus or minus depending on condition. The guy I bought mine from still has it on his site at $2,399.95, which is more than it was listed for when I made an offer on it. Not sure why he has that price shown on it now.

Josh Levine
Feb-25-2014, 10:45pm
Well... I just bought submitted to MAS and purchased a 2001. It was local so I got to play it first. I guess I am selling the MT... It is a beauty.

Josh Levine
Mar-02-2014, 10:44pm
Man the tone of this thing is outstanding. Definitely has the clear bell ringing, classical Gibson tone. It is very crisp, plays well up the neck. And it is nice and clear in the lows and highs. The upper highs really sound good too. Loud as well. As someone else said the tone is totally different from the F9. The F9 has a really growling chop. Chop on this thing isn't as gruffy.

DataNick
Mar-03-2014, 12:52am
Sounds like you got a winner, which btw doesn't surprise me!

If you like the Gibson Bluegrass F5G mandolin, these are the best deal going to get into one at a reasonable price as long as you you don't mind "The Flatiron" on the headstock; and that's good with me!

Enjoy!

mandotrout777
Mar-03-2014, 2:37am
...If you like the Gibson Bluegrass F5G mandolin, these are the best deal going to get into one at a reasonable price as long as you you don't mind "The Flatiron" on the headstock; and that's good with me!

I've been playing the Flatiron quite a lot since I got it. I took it to my local luthier and had the frets dressed and re-fit the bridge, both of which were much needed. The mandolin sounds good and definitely has the "clear bell ringing" thing going on. It's very even across the strings, and is quite loud. It has an excellent percussive chop. It's really easy to pull out that Adam Steffey chop sound. So, while I agree with the statement above, I have to be completely honest though and say now that I've had more time to compare it to my 2012 Dave Harvey signed F5G Custom, it's really not in the same league. I've never played an early 2000s Nashville F5G, so I can't really compare the Flatiron to one of it's contemporaries. I did have a "pre-flood" 2008 F9 and the Flatiron IS much more similar to that one.

My F5G is by far the best mandolin I have owned (to my ears). It sounds much closer to a friend's Derrington signed Master Model than to the Flatiron. So while I'm more than happy with the Flatiron as a different flavor (some people might actually prefer it), the new Gibson mandolins just seem hard to beat. I'm going to keep working my way toward a Dave Harvey signed Fern or Master Model.

almeriastrings
Mar-03-2014, 3:08am
The more recent Harvey-signed Ferns and MM's are indeed different from the Flatirons. They have quite a distinctive sound of their own. A bit richer... fuller... The Flatiron's are closer to the Derrington-era sound in some ways, but different in others, both of the regular line and the MM's. Hard to put it in words, but to give a practical example, I find the Derrington-signed Fern I have just about perfect for "Get Up John". Has that very dry, Monroe sound without hardly trying. Especially on the lower strings. The Flatiron A-style I have from a year later is very, very similar in character. For other things, though, the Harvey Fern might suit better... a bit warmer.. richer... fuller. All of these are fine instruments and personal preference is really where it starts and ends. They're all good!

DataNick
Mar-03-2014, 9:16am
You're right Jeff...I should have qualified my statement with an "F5G of the Derrington era".

Almeria,

Appreciate the tonal descriptions!