PDA

View Full Version : Mando Planet (Connell & Dwyer) in Concert w/ Phila Mando Ensemble

mlinkins
Feb-18-2014, 7:55pm
On March 23, Mando Planet - the mandolin duo featuring Tim Connell and Jack Dwyer - will appear in concert with the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble. The concert - presented by the newly-formed Mandolin Society of Philadelphia - begins at 7:00 PM at St. George's Episcopal Church in Ardmore, PA. Connell and Dwyer will present a workshop - open to any mandolinists - from 3:00-5:00 PM at the same locations. For more details about the concert, click here: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/588262 For more info about the workshop, look under the "Workshops" section of Mandolin Cafe. Clips of Mando Planet and the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble are posted below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdpjhEcN87Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4uypslGEBs&list=UUqMAkizEWNDi_Ucnn9nv37Q&feature=c4-overview

Doug Heinold
Feb-18-2014, 10:46pm
I've been trying to get to one of the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble events... hoping to catch the workshop and concert. Looks great. Thanks for posting.

lex
Feb-20-2014, 8:55pm
Hi, I'm a long time forum viewer (lurker?) but this post motivated me to become a member.

I just moved to Philadelphia and have been looking forward to seeing the Mandolin Ensemble live so, I'm psyched to attend. I'm new to playing the mandolin and have become enchanted with the instrument. My wife is very supportive and has endured many hours of acoustical torture as I work to building finger strength, learn scales, and figure out a few tunes. Hopefully, hearing the mandolin's full potential when it's in the hands of skilled musicians will give her something to cling to during my daily practice sessions.

I'm interested in attending the workshop beforehand, but I'm not sure what the protocol is for something like this. As I mentioned above, I'm a new player who is dedicated to improving but has a long road ahead of them. I've been playing for a about a year, practice an hour a day, and am doing the Mike Marshall course online. Would I be welcome at a workshop or is this something for more experienced players? The post mentions the workshop is open to "any mandolinists" but at what point does one qualify as a mandolinist? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Lex

Doug Heinold
Feb-22-2014, 9:34am
Lex, FWIW, you sound like you are similar in experience to me, and I've signed up. I figure with something like this, even if I pick up just one or two tips, it will be worth it. If the rest of it is beyond my skill set at this point, so be it. I'm sure they won't throw us out. :)

lex
Feb-24-2014, 8:32pm
Thanks for the encouragement. You make a good point - picking up any little tip a this point with probably have a big effect in the long run especially for a beginner like myself. Did you call to sign up for the workshop? I haven't been able to find the event listed in the "workshop" section or on the "event calender" of the cafe.

Cheers,
Lex

Doug Heinold
Feb-24-2014, 9:28pm
The OP sent me this link for the workshop: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/588937

Signed up on-line without any difficulty. Best of luck and hope to meet you there.

lex
Feb-25-2014, 9:08am
Thanks for the link! I don't know why I could find that before. I guess if I had read the workshop description first, my questions would have been answered. Whoops.

mlinkins
Feb-25-2014, 9:13pm
Hi, Lex and Doug - Thank you both for your interest and for signing up. I think you'll both enjoy the workshop. Based on Tim's description, I think it truly is designed for players at any level. I look forward to meeting your both at the workshop/concert. I with the Phila Mando Ensemble. We'll be grabbing a bite to eat nearby between the workshop and concert. If you'd like to join us, you're welcome to do so.

lex
Feb-28-2014, 5:24pm
Thanks for the invite. I'm looking forward to meeting some mandolinists, seeing some great playing, and listening to some fantastic music.