PDA

View Full Version : P.H. Kirk Mandolin

James V
Feb-16-2014, 2:51pm
Has anyone ever heard of the mandolin maker P.H. Kirk? I recently purchased one and it looks and sounds great. It is also wonderfully built. I couldn't find much information about the maker, so I thought about coming here. I have attached a pictures too. Any help would be great.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu2/Spaceace2112/image_zpse48ddc16.jpg (http://s628.photobucket.com/user/Spaceace2112/media/image_zpse48ddc16.jpg.html)

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu2/Spaceace2112/image_zps371c77f9.jpg (http://s628.photobucket.com/user/Spaceace2112/media/image_zps371c77f9.jpg.html)

Denman John
Feb-16-2014, 3:03pm
I know nothing about the builder, but that is a seriously beautiful instrument you have there.

Enjoy it in good health!
John

Ryk Loske
Feb-16-2014, 8:36pm
I knew Phil and his wife Patty. Last i knew they had moved from St. Johnsbury, Vermont to somewhere in Virginia. Great people. Phil is a meticulous woodworker. I played one of his mandolins about 4 years ago and one of his guitars about 3 years ago.Both were very nice instruments.

If more information is needed pm me and i can check with some dear friends of theirs up here in the Kingdom and try and get more information.

Ryk

billhay4
Feb-17-2014, 11:38am
Nice looking instrument. I'd like to hear a soundclip.
Bill

Shelagh Moore
Feb-17-2014, 12:48pm
That's a fine-looking mandolin.

James V
Mar-05-2014, 2:18pm
Thanks for the replies. While I am not much of a player-I am mostly a guitar player, this instrument is great. Strangely, may MAS has subsided.

I also found out more info about the builder. He and his wife did in fact move to Virginia. According to his bio, Phil and Patty Kirk, The Virginia Mountain Singers, moved to Carroll County in May of 2013 to continue a 23 year history of performing. Natives of Pennsylvania and former residents of Vermont, the Kirks were performing with bands playing French Canadian and Irish music but limited old-time. They grew tired of the cold temperatures and high taxes of the north and searched for a location in which they could pursue their love for old-time Appalachian music. Patty, a retired English instructor at various colleges, is a self-taught musician who plays the banjo, guitar, fiddle, baritone ukulele and autoharp. Phil, a retired carpenter and luthier learned music from his mother, a piano and voice teacher. He plays the mandolin, guitar, banjo, ukulele and all the instruments he builds except the fiddle. Inspired by the late Tommy Jarrell of Mt. Airy, the Virginia Mountain Singers pick and grin in many styles, but enjoy the rhythm, fiddling and bowing techniques of the Round Peak tradition. They say “We didn’t bring our northern music with us to Virginia. We want to play old-time!”

Thanks again for all the kind words about the mandolin.

F-2 Dave
Mar-05-2014, 8:30pm
Nice looking flat top.

Ryk Loske
Mar-06-2014, 8:07pm
"I also found out more info about the builder. He and his wife did in fact move to Virginia. According to his bio, Phil and Patty Kirk, The Virginia Mountain Singers, moved to Carroll County in May of 2013 to continue a 23 year history of performing. Natives of Pennsylvania and former residents of Vermont, the Kirks were performing with bands playing French Canadian and Irish music but limited old-time. They grew tired of the cold temperatures and high taxes of the north and searched for a location in which they could pursue their love for old-time Appalachian music. Patty, a retired English instructor at various colleges, is a self-taught musician who plays the banjo, guitar, fiddle, baritone ukulele and autoharp. Phil, a retired carpenter and luthier learned music from his mother, a piano and voice teacher. He plays the mandolin, guitar, banjo, ukulele and all the instruments he builds except the fiddle. Inspired by the late Tommy Jarrell of Mt. Airy, the Virginia Mountain Singers pick and grin in many styles, but enjoy the rhythm, fiddling and bowing techniques of the Round Peak tradition. They say “We didn’t bring our northern music with us to Virginia. We want to play old-time!”

James,

As great as they sound in that piece … they're even better in person. Very nice folks …. and avid canoeists. (Probably played a role in there move away from iced water up here in Vermont.)

Ryk