PDA

View Full Version : binding cement

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-02-2005, 2:26pm
Hi folks, I can't find the older thread..

What was the other brand of Duco like cement that someone mentioned a while back. I think it may have been Hans that mentioned it as being better. I've tried the Stew-Mac stuff and don't like it.

On a related subject, is there a such thing as industrial strength Acetone..something 3-4 times as strong as that available from Lowes/Home Depot. This seems like something that should exist

Billiam
Mar-02-2005, 2:51pm
My can of hardware store acetone is marked "100% Pure". I don't think you can make it any stronger! What are you trying to dissolve?

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-02-2005, 3:00pm
I need to re-read my can...it seems as if there is something that indicates it is not full strength, or at least has other "vehicles" in it

amowry
Mar-02-2005, 3:09pm
I think the can I have from Ace actually reads something like "extra strength", whatever that means. It certainly dissolves celluloid easily.

Hans
Mar-02-2005, 5:19pm
Hans likes the Stew-Mac stuff!

Rroyd
Mar-03-2005, 11:06am
As I recall, the other thread mentioned a brand called "Bond Cement", or "Bond Glue", which may be the same as what I used to use, which was called "527 Bond Cement". It worked better than Duco. I don't know if it still uses that designation or not.

Jim Hilburn
Mar-03-2005, 12:11pm
Bond cement is what you find at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I thought it seemed much the same as Duco.

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-03-2005, 12:52pm
That may be it..I believe someone referred to it as "insert brand name here" 527...Like Wagners's 527 ect ect

Bob Schneider
Mar-03-2005, 1:01pm
I've used Weldon #16 for years,,,purchased from TAP Plastics here in Portland.

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-03-2005, 3:37pm
Bingo...Weldon...that's what I was thinking of....that's why I used Wagner as an example..semi-photographic memory..thanks. #I'm going to experiment around since the Duco doesn't seem to be up to its old formula.

Hans
Mar-03-2005, 6:05pm
That's the Stew - Mac stuff.

dstretch
Mar-03-2005, 8:55pm
I think the stuff mentioned in the other topic was weldbond. The website is for the stuff is. http://www.franktross.com/weldbond.asp
I have no experience with the stuff just saw it in the other post. I used duco on #1 and was very happy with it. Although I have no other experience's to compare it to. Worked great for me.