PDA

View Full Version : Adam Steffy Workshop?

swain
Feb-15-2014, 4:39pm
Anyone else try to watch this and have "Veetle" take over?

mrkrgr
Feb-15-2014, 4:46pm
I am unable to watch it veetle or too slow a network. Makes me mad. I waited all day and nada. I hope its available for viewing later. I even tried my phone too slow in the area. That's what you get when your getting more snow and everyone's sucking up bandwidth, its just not working.

mandotrout777
Feb-15-2014, 6:10pm
Anyone else try to watch this and have "Veetle" take over?

I watched it. Had to endure a commercial every few minutes, but other than that no problems.

I loved the bit about WD-40 on the strings. Probably common knowledge to his hardcore fans, but a new one on me.

Franc Homier Lieu
Feb-15-2014, 6:33pm
I watched the first half, but before that had to wrangle with Veetle a good deal to get things going. When the commercials popped up I just clicked 'watch without commercials', then when it wanted me to sign in and pay, hit the 'back' button and was watching again (so a total of 2 or 3 seconds missed each time).

WD-40 was a true revelation to me too. And that A style Northfield with the Engleman spruce top. Whoah. And Steffey is about as affable as they come. Hope a video of this turns up online at some point.

EDIT: OK, just watching the video now on the Northfield site an hour after it finished. So there you go.

Michael Bridges
Feb-15-2014, 6:45pm
I did the same trick with the ads, made it much more watchable. May have to try the WD-40 trick I loved the sound of that A model,too. Wonder if they have those on their website? (guess I could go there and check) All-in-all, a nice hour watching a really nice guy play really, really nice music and chat!
I watched the first half, but before that had to wrangle with Veetle a good deal to get things going. When the commercials popped up I just clicked 'watch without commercials', then when it wanted me to sign in and pay, hit the 'back' button and was watching again (so a total of 2 or 3 seconds missed each time).

WD-40 was a true revelation to me too. And that A style Northfield with the Engleman spruce top. Whoah. And Steffey is about as affable as they come. Hope a video of this turns up online at some point.

mandotrout777
Feb-15-2014, 7:45pm
I guess I'm too slow to figure out how to bypass the ads.:(

At about 36:30 he said those golden/blonde A models are made "all here in Michigan". Is this a new thing or have I missed/misunderstood something significant there?

shortymack
Feb-15-2014, 7:56pm
What?!!!!! DO NOT GO TO NORTHFIELDS SITE AND DOWNLOAD THIS VETTLE MALWARE. I just crashed my pc doing this, on my tablet now while doing a rescue scan. Not cool.

mandotrout777
Feb-15-2014, 8:09pm
What?!!!!! DO NOT GO TO NORTHFIELDS SITE AND DOWNLOAD THIS VETTLE MALWARE. I just crashed my pc doing this, on my tablet now while doing a rescue scan. Not cool.

I watched it on my Mac without downloading anything. At least nothing that I know of.

shortymack
Feb-15-2014, 8:14pm
It made me dl to view the vid. Now I'm mad, it's blocking malwarebytes from removing it and blocked my antivirus shield and access to the program,grrrrr. Not cool at all. Into safe mode I go and process hunt.

Michael Bridges
Feb-15-2014, 8:15pm
I installed it without thinking, then after it was over, went back and uninstalled it. Gonna run a couple of different malware scans, but no ill effects thus far.

Killian King
Feb-15-2014, 8:31pm
veetle is not malware. Perhaps you downloaded the unnecessary toolbar that was offered as well? I watched without commercials it was very good Mandos sounded excellent.

Michael Bridges
Feb-15-2014, 8:48pm
Yeah, on the install, there was a "standard", and "advanced" Advanced gave the option of not installing something else. (I didn't look to see what. By default, I never install any "Extras"). That may be where the problem is. I hate it that pretty much anything you download these days has all this extra, invasive stuff hidden in with it!

Timbofood
Feb-15-2014, 8:56pm
I have not had any problems......as far a I can see.

Markus
Feb-15-2014, 8:56pm
Can someone explain WD40?

Timbofood
Feb-15-2014, 8:58pm
Opposite of ductape! See redgreen

mandotrout777
Feb-15-2014, 9:06pm
Can someone explain WD40?

Adam cleans his strings with a polishing cloth sprayed lightly with WD-40.

shortymack
Feb-15-2014, 9:13pm
veetle is not malware. Perhaps you downloaded the unnecessary toolbar that was offered as well? I watched without commercials it was very good Mandos sounded excellent.

Nope, just the .exe file.

Vettle.exe 9.19 IS a PUP malware file. Recognized and quarantined. I just got done cleaning it all out and am up and running again on the PC.

When you hit dl and you system crashes, its a malware virus or there is one attached.....am just glad it wasnt a nasty trojan. I had other PUPs on there too that may have been from elsewhere but that dl is what triggered the crash.

.exe files are where these things lurk.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-16-2014, 4:09am
Quote - "Adam cleans his strings with a polishing cloth sprayed lightly with WD-40.". He must have got that tip from me !. I stated on here years back that i'd used WD40 & also 3-In-One oil (on a cloth) to wipe my strings over & got close to laughed off the cafe. Any way,'great minds etc.......'':grin:
Ivan;)

Michael Bridges
Feb-16-2014, 8:48am
I took a look at Northfield's website, no mention of A styles anywhere. Interesting, though, one of the opening slideshow pics shows the backside of an A. Wonder when they'll put out anything on the models Steffey was playing?

OldSausage
Feb-16-2014, 7:43pm
For anyone who, like me, still wants to watch this, it's available to view on their website now:

http://northfieldinstruments.com/component/content/article/273

No vettle (whatever that is), no ads, no viruses, just Adam doing his thing. The first 11 minutes is just waiting for Adam to show up, so use that slider.

Bill Baldridge
Feb-16-2014, 10:19pm
For anyone who, like me, still wants to watch this, it's available to view on their website now:

No vettle (whatever that is), no ads, no viruses, just Adam doing his thing. The first 11 minutes is just waiting for Adam to show up, so use that slider.

I guess I can't operate a computer any better than I can play a mandolin. Veetle, cut me off while he was talking about the strings he uses. I do appreciate your attempt to be helpful.

pheffernan
Feb-16-2014, 10:55pm
At about 36:30 he said those golden/blonde A models are made "all here in Michigan". Is this a new thing or have I missed/misunderstood something significant there?

I just watched the video and heard the same thing. I was reminded of Scott's recent return from NAMM when he suggested an exciting upcoming announcement from Northfield which he would allow them to make at the appropriate time...

OldSausage
Feb-16-2014, 11:58pm
I guess I can't operate a computer any better than I can play a mandolin. Veetle, cut me off while he was talking about the strings he uses. I do appreciate your attempt to be helpful.

Well, now I think of it, I watched it on my iPad - that probably helped avoid the ads.

Timbofood
Feb-17-2014, 10:05am
My iPad feed was just fine too OS.

Bill Baldridge
Feb-17-2014, 12:22pm
I guess I'll wait for the VHS edition. I don't like Adam enough to go buy an iPad.:crying:

OldSausage
Feb-17-2014, 12:38pm
Well, don't feel too bad. It's fun to watch, but mostly it's just Adam telling jokes, and saying the sort of things that, if you spend much time on Mandolin Cafe, you've already seen discussed ad infinitum.

AlanN
Feb-17-2014, 1:22pm
and saying the sort of things that, if you spend much time on Mandolin Cafe, you've already seen discussed ad infinitum.

You mean BC picks, best mando for < $10, that sort of thing?

Bill Baldridge
Feb-17-2014, 2:03pm
I think he means, "You misspelled a word, so I have no idea what you are talking about."

OldSausage
Feb-17-2014, 2:28pm
You mean BC picks, best mando for < $10, that sort of thing?

Actually yes.

Timbofood
Feb-17-2014, 2:40pm
Pretty much

AlanN
Feb-17-2014, 2:46pm
I see.

Sounds fascinating.

mandotrout777
Feb-17-2014, 4:19pm
Actually yes.

Now, that's a bit jaded isn't it? He also talked about red spruce vs Engelmann (did I spell that right), f-holes vs oval holes, and the taste of wd-40 on a sandwich along with the resultant pants wetting when driving by cell towers. :)

Timbofood
Feb-18-2014, 10:10am
My question about the spruce vs. Englemann was : Were the tops graduated exactly alike? Not one in the crowd asked that. It was still interesting from even the small "method" tips shared. I would have liked to have been there.

sarai
Feb-18-2014, 3:44pm
Someone asked about the A-models in the thread... why they weren't on the website.... We were at the festival. The A models were prototypes not ready yet...

sarai
Feb-18-2014, 3:48pm
Actually I think that it still wants you to install the software. I'm disappointed because I can't install this sort of thing on my computer even if I wanted to. Was hoping to rewatch. I did have a front row seat! But he did a couple fiddle tunes I'd like to hear again.

Bill Baldridge
Feb-18-2014, 4:05pm
For what it is worth, if you are as determined to listen to the workshop as I and you are using a computer with Windows OS, try this:

I reloaded the page at the point where the veetle ad stopped me and I was able to start from there. After a bit Veetle stopped me again, so I reloaded once more. I am about 40 minutes into the video. I have to stop now to go work on my woodpile, with a chainsaw, not a mandolin, but I think I can work my way through the video this way. So far, 40 minutes at the cost of two reloads.

drbluegrass
Feb-18-2014, 4:29pm
What the heck is "veetle"? There are youtubes that will only allow me to listen to half the video, then the video stops. Is that "veetle" causing that?

Tom

Bill Baldridge
Feb-18-2014, 4:52pm
Veetle is a software program. If you go to the Adam Steffey workshop video on a Windows OS (At least that was my experience.) it will stop the video and ask you to download that software. I suspect that the you-tube videos that don't function properly (Been there, done that.) are corrupted files, not Veetle. Perhaps someone with more computer knowledge can give you better information.

Killian King
Feb-19-2014, 12:00pm
Try going directly to this URL. It is the actual Veetle link and is running on my Win7 machine right now without any download, or video stalling issues.

http://veetle.com/index.php/profile/590882759?play=53052772705f4e418337d59131951ef1