PDA

View Full Version : Camera phones...

John Flynn
Mar-02-2005, 2:23pm
I don't have a camera phone, but I did have one where you could program your own ring tones. I programmed the A part from a Missouri fiddle tune I was playing a lot at the the time I got the phone, "Squirrel Heads and Gravy." Every time it rang, I wished I was playing music!

Stillpicking
Mar-02-2005, 2:27pm
The only thing I can say is MAS . If your married put your wife's pic in there or if you are married with kids place the family pic in there.
That mando photo will become a trigger and the next thing you know instead of working you are on the Cafe looking at the classifies "just to research mandolin related info"

Good luck

Tom C
Mar-02-2005, 2:28pm
The problems with camera on cell phone is you will not be allowed to bring them into certain places -Some buildings, court rooms, lockers etc. My wall paper is also my mando.

Ken Berner
Mar-03-2005, 12:48pm
Best thing I can suggest is to use your boss as wallpaper. That should prompt you to get back to work. Signed., The Boss

Professor PT
Mar-03-2005, 1:17pm
I'm not a Luddite by any means, but I think our society is full of too many of these gadgets. #Look around you: #the people who are talking on their cell phones are usually younger people with nothing better to do. #Just eavesdrop on their conversations for a moment; #you'll hear the most insipid comments. #Add to this the cell phone camera and you have yet another distraction. #Last night, I had to request another classroom since the one I originally had was full of LCD flat panel monitors; #each student had his/her own little screen, which I guess was just too cool for words to them. #After starting my lecture, I soon realized that I couldn't compete with the seductions of technology. #The students are mad, of course, because now they have to listen to me instead of checking e-mail or surfing the web. #When I spoke with the assistant who handles the room reservations, he replied, "Oh, I figured you'd want the hi-tech classroom. #It's really cool!"

Tom C
Mar-03-2005, 1:48pm
<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>I hate cell phones.</span></span>
I commute to NYC by bus. Going in is OK. Going home freaks me out. All those electronic buzzes, beeps, tunes are so plastic and annoying. I also hate hearing one sided conversations about work, or how little Joey is doing. If people need to discuss work, stay in the office. people talk 1/2 the ride to somebody they are going to see in 45 minutes. I give people nasty looks and even ask them to find another seat if they are sitting next to me. I do not care if I offend people anymore telling them to shut up. Smoking used to be a social thing. You'd go outside and speak to people from your office or other offices and build friendships. Now everybody is so introverted standing in a corner with their phone to their ear. I am contemplating buying a jammer for the bus rides even though they are illegal in the U.S. Unfortunatley all your personal info will soon be on one of these things from health info to the ability to charge purchases.

grandmainger
Mar-03-2005, 7:11pm
Dude, just be glad you don't have a video-phone. I got one a couple of months ago. Wasted a whole week recording nothingness and playing it back to whoever was nearby. I gave it back and swaped it for a standard phone. Now I play less with my phone and more with my mando http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Bob A
Mar-03-2005, 9:04pm
I've walke behind a group of college students who were walking together, if that's the word, and seemed to be going along as a group, but they were all talking to someone who wasn't there on their cells. Amazing.

Ten years ago you could have disguised the homeless insane by giving them cell phones, so that they'd seem less, uh, odd, by talking to a little box than just ranting to the open air. Now you can't tell who's nuts. (I fear I'm the crazed one - everyone else seems perfectly OK with this sort of behavior).

generankin
Mar-09-2005, 10:11am
[snip]
Ten years ago you could have disguised the homeless insane by giving them cell phones, so that they'd seem less, uh, odd, by talking to a little box than just ranting to the open air. Now you can't tell who's nuts. (I fear I'm the crazed one - everyone else seems perfectly OK with this sort of behavior).

First time I ever saw one of the hands-free phones was in the Farringdon tube station in London. #A well-dressed woman was standing off in a corner, talking to herself. #I thought "Jeez, London's loonies are much sharper-looking than ours." #Then I saw the little wire leading up to her ear.

Michael H Geimer
Mar-09-2005, 10:59am
You can buy a Gibson A-9 or the latest Blackberry. Most people would consider the Blackberry to be the more practical choice, even though it's only the A-9 that might still be working and valuable in 50+ years. The lifespan of a PDA is probably no more than 4years!

iPod or Mid-mo? Theorhetically, there's more music inside a Mid-mo.

Ken Berner
Mar-09-2005, 12:06pm
I have a huge dislike for cell phones and do not own one. One ding-alinged in church a couple of weeks ago while our Bishop was speaking; the recipient of the call was seen after the service weeping on the shoulder of a friend. I don't know if she was embarassed or someone had chastized her; I was amazed that she stayed through the entire service, after leaving the sanctuary to talk. None of the conversations I have overheard, have amounted to a hill of beans; mostly like the chat you might have with a pet! I wonder if some callers feel as though being seen using one affords them status or importance. I really hate my restaurant meals being interrupted by someone at a nearby table; some continue to shovel their food while speaking, which is a real appetizing sight. One night while several of us were jamming at a local coffee shop, a picture phone went off and the young lady enjoyed pointing the thing at us so her caller could view the pickers. Do you feel my disgust?

Lee
Mar-09-2005, 1:14pm
A little off topic but interesting: Some of you may recall the musician known as Sun Ra. For many years he was always seen wearing headphones in public. During an interview he revealled that there was never any music playing, he just found that more people tended to leave him alone.

darthstar
Mar-09-2005, 1:35pm
Great replies, everyone...and I agree with pretty much every sentiment. Working in software as I do, I'm surrounded by gadget-aholics. The one gadget I look forward to more than anything though, happens to be my mando.

By the way, I just spent four days in Tahoe with a friend (who I'm happy to say is becoming a little more than a friend) and I left my mando at home (in part, because I only know Yankee Doodle, Worried Man's Blues, and Red Haired Boy so far), and yes, I still feel guilty about it even though I had a beautiful weekend with her...her the girl, not her the mandolin...she I'm still making up to. But oh, making up with the mandolin is soooo much fun (in a less-moist kind of way, that is). I figure another two hour session tonight and she'll have forgiven me and my fingers.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Oh, and I did introduce her(the mandolin) to my friend(the human), though she'd already seen the photos on my phone while we were away...and more than once. Who says having two lovers is bad?

Tim
Mar-09-2005, 2:29pm
Both this thread and the one recently about the cafe being bad because it interfers with playing are interesting. #I don't understand why people blame the tool when an idiot mis-uses it.

rattler
Mar-10-2005, 12:11am
HAHAHAHAHA.

Put the BOSS'S picture in there. THAT will break you http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandoJeremy
Mar-10-2005, 12:53am
Mr. darth, I know it is a public forum and there are other freak people like me that would prefer you not use the GD word. Thanks in advance dude.

mandroid
Mar-10-2005, 2:36am
just read on BBC technology section that Nokia had 2nd thoughts about a fuelcell powered cell phone , powered with Butane!
they considered the fact that you couldnt board a airliner with it may be an inconvenience .
camera-phone and ciggs lighter ? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

TeleMark
Mar-10-2005, 10:58am
Mr. darth, I know it is a public forum and there are other freak people like me that would prefer you not use the GD word. Thanks in advance dude.
"Grateful Dead?" Did I miss something?

I have a cell, and have had one for about 10 years. I travel like mad for business, and it's good to be able to call home. With the exception of my wife and maybe 3 other people noone has my cell number. I forward my work phone to my cell so I'm in touch, but as someone else said, it's just a tool.

Idiots will be idiots. Technology is just window dressing.

Tom C
Mar-10-2005, 11:58am
"I don't understand why people blame the tool when an idiot mis-uses it."
The tool allows them to. Sounds familiar. Just ask the parents of the young actress shot in NYC by some lowlife punks. She had more guts than the shooter. Without the tool, that would have never have happened.

Flowerpot
Mar-10-2005, 1:56pm
--"I don't understand why people blame the tool when an idiot mis-uses it."
The tool allows them to. Sounds familiar. Just ask the parents of the young actress shot in NYC by some lowlife punks. She had more guts than the shooter. Without the tool, that would have never have happened.--

Without the tool, she may have been stabbed instead of shot. Or without the knife, bludgeoned with a lead pipe. Or beaten down with a club. Or strangled with bare hands.

Violence and idiocy are universal and timeless; technology may make thugs more efficient, but assault and murder have been occurring since the dawn of time. Those with violent intent will always find a way to carry it out.

Technology also enables more efficient self-defense, if we allow it to be used. As the old saying goes, God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal. If NYC hadn't handed the advantage back to the street thugs by making it illegal to carry the tools of self-defense, perhaps that tragedy would not have happened. If you can't magically erase criminal intent, I think you at least ought to level the playing field. Flowerpot out.

Tom C
Mar-10-2005, 2:02pm
"Without the tool, she may have been stabbed instead of shot. Or without the knife, bludgeoned with a lead pipe. Or beaten down with a club. Or strangled with bare hands."

Most people avoid hand to hand confrontations. It's alot safer to shoot somebody from 10 or 20 feet.

Would it make you feel any better if they were pushed out-a windows?
-Archie Bunker

Scott Tichenor
Mar-10-2005, 2:06pm
Closing this one down folks. Deleted one inappropriate post and we're clearly off-topic here and now headed into other issues that are no part of what we're here to discuss.