PDA

View Full Version : My new Girouard A-5 pumpkintop

David Surette
Feb-13-2014, 5:06pm
Hi folks, Here's a few photos of my new mando. There's also a little video Lauri took in the shop, which I will try to post later. Max and Lauri Girouard did a wonderful job, and they were great to work with; my thanks to them, and to Mary Y, who really helped bring us together. We came up with a nice design for an A-5 styled after the old Gibson "pumpkintop" A models from the teens. My first good mando was a 1917 pumpkintop, and I've always had a soft spot for that look. This one has a beautiful finish job by Lauri, who worked really hard to replicate the colors; they are spot on! The flamed maple is really nice. We decided on the dark ebony for the peghead, and the top is bound with maple, left natural. It sounds fabulous, full, rich, sparkly with lots of definition on the individual notes, and it is LOUD. I can't wait to play it more and really get to know it. I'll have it at the March Mandolin Festival, and Max and Lauri will be there as luthiers as well. Looking forward to seeing some of you there!

David Surette
Feb-13-2014, 5:09pm
This should link to You Tube, hopefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UklrSe8Wmik&feature=share

Eric F.
Feb-13-2014, 5:48pm
That sounds - and looks - great. Enjoy!

Frank Farley
Feb-13-2014, 5:58pm
Beautiful mandolin and really enjoy your playing!

rb3868
Feb-13-2014, 6:55pm
Lauri seems to be a genius with finishes

Larry S Sherman
Feb-13-2014, 7:03pm
Embedded for those who enjoy such things:

UklrSe8Wmik

Larry

JeffD
Feb-13-2014, 7:20pm
David you have a winner there. I love the tone.

Cheryl Watson
Feb-13-2014, 7:38pm
Super looks, super tone, super playing! I like pumpkin top A's too, a lot.

Ben Cooper
Feb-13-2014, 7:43pm
Its just Fantastic David! I hope to hear it in person sometime soon. I didn't the to sign up for the March Mandolin events, but I may come to watch!

mandogerry
Feb-13-2014, 7:53pm
Simply beautiful. I'm probably going with the same stain Lauri concocted for the back and sides, for the entire body of the A oval hole she and Max are going to build for me over the next few months. Hooray!!

Mike Steadfast-Ward
Feb-13-2014, 9:09pm
You lucky fellow. It sounds gorgeous, looks fantastic, congratulations you really deserve to enjoy it.
Your playing of it in the demo had me drooling.

Mandobar
Feb-13-2014, 9:29pm
As good as you all think it looks, it looks a hundred times better up close, and it sounds way better. Seriously, David had been playing a Stonebridge F5, which was nice, but this actually has a bigger fuller sound.

Dan Margolis
Feb-13-2014, 10:10pm
Yeah, that is beautiful. Enjoy!

Galileo
Feb-13-2014, 10:18pm
Yowsah! Very nice looking...and sounding. I thought my MAS was cured...but I feel a case of it coming on.

Pete Jenner
Feb-13-2014, 11:07pm
It's a fine example of the mandolin art of the Girouards.

Gene Summers
Feb-13-2014, 11:32pm
That's a keeper David, love the tone! Beautiful curly maple too. Congrats! :)

jasona
Feb-14-2014, 12:14am
Very nice playing! Enjoy your lovely new mandolin

Johnny60
Feb-14-2014, 6:14am
I can only re-iterate what everyone else is saying - great playing, great sound, great mando and some FANTASTIC flame on the back! Enjoy!

ccravens
Feb-14-2014, 9:09am
Bravo!

Much happiness on your awesome looking and sounding aquisition! Your joy is now my MAS.

I feel a sick, stay-at-home-from-work day in your future....

nickster60
Feb-14-2014, 10:58am
Great Tone and A Great Axe. That should keep you busy for awhile. Sorry Honey, my honey do list full until spring. Better let talk to me in the fall.

sgrexa
Feb-14-2014, 11:09am
I have been a big fan of the Girouards for a couple years now, and this example looks and sounds wonderful. I am curious about the wood selection on this one, so please tell. Enjoy it, you got yourself a winner for sure!

Sean

William Smith
Feb-14-2014, 11:24am
Great look and Great sound! Congrats.

David Surette
Feb-14-2014, 10:18pm
Thanks for all the nice comments, folks. The woods are flamed red maple and red spruce. I asked Max to pick out the specific maple, with an ear towards volume and a warm full low end. And I will be bringing it to work Saturday night...