PDA

View Full Version : series of questions on tone

dwc
Mar-02-2005, 1:52am
From time to time someone will broach the subject of compiling a compendium of terms to descibe the timbre and tone that we hear. #To my knowledge, its been a pretty dead topic, as it seems nearly impossible. #So, to my point.
I know what tone I want but I lack the vocabulary to fully describe it; however, I shall try. #The tone I am after is a sort of hollow, pop or thwop (We need Campy Batman Sound effect Emoticons) on single notes. #The attack is less crisp and piercing than on other mandolins that you hear,more percussive, almost like the note is wrapped in a halo, and you can almost feel the note like you feel a note from a bass.
It is a tone I have heard from a myriad of mandolins, but a specific example would be the soundbites of the Rigel Jethro on This I Know from the Rigel Website.
Secondly, if anyone can figure out what it is that I want in terms of sound, could they suggest ways for me to make my mandolin (Eastman 805) sound like this while I save up for my Rigel.

Gail Hester
Mar-02-2005, 2:06am
What you are describing sounds like what we call the water-drop tone, like a big drop of water plunking into the bottom of big oak barrel. Some mandolins have it and some don't.

John Flynn
Mar-02-2005, 8:16am
I have heard that tone described as "tubby." I like that description. Unfortunately, my mandolins don't have it, but my instructor's does, even when I play it. Some day I will get a mando that has it.

dwc
Mar-02-2005, 5:12pm
Yeah, it does sound like a water drop. Thank you. I guess it is dependant on the instrument and varies a bit.