PDA

View Full Version : Silverangel medium distressed redwood

kyken
Feb-11-2014, 8:58pm
just got this one strung up tonight. I'll be out of my shop for 2 months after Friday, surgery day on my finger.1141451141461141471141481141491141501141511 14152114153

renoyd
Feb-11-2014, 10:20pm
And that A, yikes - gorgeous! Wishing you the best on the surgery and recovery Ken.

eastKYmando
Feb-11-2014, 10:46pm
Looks great Ken....can't wait to get up there and pick this one up! I know it will be a hoss.

jasona
Feb-11-2014, 10:48pm
And that A, yikes - gorgeous! Wishing you the best on the surgery and recovery Ken.

Seriously good looking mandolin eh?

Best wishes for your surgery and rapid recovery Ken!

Frank Farley
Feb-11-2014, 11:41pm
Beautiful instruments! Hope you have a speedy recovery Ken!

Skip Kelley
Feb-12-2014, 11:49am
Ken, those are killer looking mandolins! Love the flame in the maple!

Zissou Intern
Feb-16-2014, 12:22pm
Those are stunning mandolins! I have admired you mandolins for years. I hope to play one some day. Good luck with your surgery.

eastKYmando
Feb-22-2014, 10:04am
Those are stunning mandolins! I have admired you mandolins for years. I hope to play one some day. Good luck with your surgery.

I sure hope you get the opportunity to play one. Ken is certainly consistent with his mandolins, and he's very deliberate in maintaining "his" tone. I've never played one of Ken's that didn't have his signature tone. They're all great, differences from one to the next will be slight..maybe slight volume difference or something of the sort, but never anything major. Like I said, he's consistent. I had a killer Cedar top of Ken's, but it had a 1 1/8" neck....I wanted to get back in a 1 3/16" (simply a preference), so, having FAITH in Ken's work and consistency, I sold the Cedar and had him build me a new Redwood (the one you're seeing in this thread), let me tell you....He did not disappoint. This mandolin has plenty of volume, deep tone that won't stop, very playable, robust sound with each note ringing true and with great clarity, not to mention a nice barky chop. It's only been strung up for a week and a half, and it sounds broken in already! Really opened up in a matter of days. I still expect this mandolin to get even better with a little more time, although I don't know if I'll be able to stand it if it gets much better....my cup runneth over. I hope to have a video up pretty soon.

dang
Feb-24-2014, 9:17am
just got this one strung up tonight. I'll be out of my shop for 2 months after Friday, surgery day on my finger

Hope all went well! I hate to see an artist away from their work... especially when it is so beautiful!!!

Denman John
Feb-24-2014, 9:42am
That A style is a real beauty.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike Arakelian
Feb-26-2014, 4:44pm
Really beautiful...hope you have a speedy recovery.

kyken
Feb-26-2014, 5:00pm
Really beautiful...hope you have a speedy recovery.
Thanks for your concern. My finger surgery didn't really go the way I'd hoped. My Dr told me there just wasn't enough bone left to make the bend and fuse it like I wanted. I'm thankful to have the fingers I have left and I still can build mandolins without any hindrance. I've built three since I cut my fingers, but my playing I'm afraid will always be limited.

Frank Farley
Feb-26-2014, 5:12pm
Sorry to hear that Your surgery didn't go well,hope you recover soon.

eastKYmando
Mar-15-2014, 4:43pm
Here is a video of the Redwood F shown at the top of the thread. At the time of this video, this mandolin is only a few days young. Sorry about the light. My good picking buddy Frank Farley was on guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ouRNqEqAg0

tburcham
Mar-15-2014, 8:37pm
Ken, I'm sorry your surgery didn't go as well as you had hoped. I know your mandolin building won't be hindered, because the work of an artist comes from the mind and soul, your hands simply fashioning the inspiration therein. You truely are an artist.

Godspeed my friend.

CES
Mar-15-2014, 9:19pm
Ken, sorry to hear that your surgery didn't go as well as you had hoped. Glad to hear you can still build, though...I'm still loving my "econo" model!

Donnie, you've got yerself a hoss there! Really looks and sounds great--

eastKYmando
Mar-16-2014, 3:14pm
Ken, sorry to hear that your surgery didn't go as well as you had hoped. Glad to hear you can still build, though...I'm still loving my "econo" model!

Donnie, you've got yerself a hoss there! Really looks and sounds great--

Yeah, Chuck, I've never ceased to be amazed by the tone and power in Ken's mandolins, but this one seems to be a stand out....I've owned several since 1998, currently have 3. This Redwood is much better now than it was in the video, really developed and matured at a swift rate.

gwh17
Mar-16-2014, 10:06pm
Thanks for your concern. My finger surgery didn't really go the way I'd hoped. My Dr told me there just wasn't enough bone left to make the bend and fuse it like I wanted. I'm thankful to have the fingers I have left and I still can build mandolins without any hindrance. I've built three since I cut my fingers, but my playing I'm afraid will always be limited.

Good luck with your recovery Ken. I have been following your work for some tome now, and one of your distressed "F's" is on my bucket list. Maybe one day my playing will justify one. For what it is worth, I haven't had and accident and my playing will always be limited! Get well soon!