PDA

View Full Version : Value of 1919 Gibson A-2

StoneSt
Mar-01-2005, 10:41pm
Looking for info on the value of an A2 in VG condition but with replacement tuners and bridge. It also is missing part of the pickgurard support and endpin. The top seems a little bit sunken under the bridge but not so much that the bridge is any taller than what I would consider acceptable for an F-5. It sounds full and open and the intonation seems fine.

This is my first time considering an oval hole so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks --Bob http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

fatt-dad
Mar-01-2005, 10:51pm
If it is structurally sound (a big if), considering that the replacement tuners required the peghead be redrilled (not a good thing for a collector) and considering that there are missing parts, I would say (sight unseen and to start the conversation), somewhere in the range of $800 to $1200.00.

If there is a loose brace on the underside of the top plate, you will probably spend a hundred or so on the repair (widely variable and not including shipping). If you try to buy missing parts, when they are available, they go for a pretty penny - so you may not get the pickguard parts anytime soon.

Some of this I'm making up, but that's my impression anyhow.

fatt-dad

Juice6120
Mar-02-2005, 12:41am
Always check with Ebay ,fatt-dad is pretty close to what i would have said . If you have a decent digital camera send pictures to george gruhn www.guitarpriceonline.com and for 35 dollars he will give you a current market value. You will recieve an email within 24 hours also a written appraisal mailed to you with his signature. You can use this for insurance purposes since george is one of the fathers of the vintage market and also a #noted author not to mention historian . I have used him many times. I wouldnt hesitate to do so again. If you should ever have a disaster happen his appraisal will help big time .

keithd
Mar-02-2005, 11:37am
Bob,

I have a 1919 A-2 that I bought about 1-1/2 years ago for $1050. It had everything original, case and all, except for the TP cover. It also had two well-repaired face cracks, and had been well played and worn, as you might expect.

I too had concerns about top sinkage before buying. If you can get hold of it, look through the tail pin hole while shining a light through the sound hole; you should be able to see if the brace is loose.

Even at the time, I think $1050 was a very good price, since all had been repaired and it was nicely set up by a luthier I knew. If there's no top sinkage, and the tuners were replaced without re-drilling, the price may be closer to the high end of fatt-dad's range. Check the prices of A-2's at websites like Charles Johnson's, etc., then deduct the likely cost of repairs, appropriate replacement parts, and set-up to get a general sense of value.

They're great mandolins; worth the extra effort!

Keith

fatt-dad
Mar-02-2005, 12:53pm
They're great mandolins; worth the extra effort!
Here Here! I should have also said that they are great mandolins. I love my A3 and am the first to admit that the repair work that I have commissioned over the years was worth it.

f-d

StoneSt
Mar-02-2005, 3:36pm
Thanks for replying all. Yeah, I can't get that sound outta my head! The more I get into oldtime and acoustic jazz the more I need another mandolin. Thing is, he's asking 2000 and it is on consignment so I don't know if he has any room to move. My first inclination was that it was quite a bit overpriced but man it's exactly the sound I am looking for.

Great tip about checking the brace through the endpin hole, I'll do that next time I play it.

I'd hate to pass up the sound...but the price....hummm.
This situation reminds me of a Givins I passed up 5 years ago. I still wish I had come up with the cash for that one. Dang MAS! I wonder if Cartwright's has any old A'a in stock for comparisons. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif