PDA

View Full Version : Is Rental a good idea for a newbie on a budget?

cjdempsey9
Feb-09-2014, 5:26pm
SAHM with 2 kids in school music programs has rented for her kids and wonders if she can try the Mandolin for the first time by renting? I'm the eight in the line of 11 kids and the first not to have music lesson. My Mom sent me to drawing lessons instead and now I want to learn to play in my 40's. But we're on a budget and I want to know if rental is possible. My son has a Viola from Quinlan and Fabish but they don't rent Manolins. Is it even possible to rent and from where? I am in the Chicagoland area. Thanks in advance for your help!

avaldes
Feb-09-2014, 5:42pm
The Old Town School of Music may be a good resource. They do rent, but I don't know what make/models.
https://www.oldtownschool.org/musicstore/rentals/

allenhopkins
Feb-09-2014, 9:53pm
The Old Town School of Music may be a good resource…

Their website seems to indicate that they only rent to students in their classes. Rental rates are quite reasonable ($25 for eight weeks, portion of rentals applicable against a later purchase), but the courses run $184 for eight weekly group sessions ($10 discount for Old Town members). This would make the cost of eight lessons plus rental about $210.

This is within shouting distance of the cost of a decent starter mandolin like the Kentucky KM-150. There are music stores in the Chicago area that may well have an instrument like that, either new or used: Different Strummer, Hogeye Music, Guitar Works. Might be worth a few phone calls before entering a rental agreement. If you own the instrument, and your mandolin progress isn't what you'd like, you can sell it and get some of your money back.

Of course, if the Old Town classes are attractive to you, renting your mandolin there may be attractive as well. I'd just do a bit of research before going that route.