PDA

View Full Version : Importance of tailpiece cover

Jim Yates
Feb-09-2014, 3:33pm
How important is the tailpiece cover?
Does it affect the sound?
What is its purpose?
Are there any pros who play with no tailpiece cover?

Jim Garber
Feb-09-2014, 4:18pm
The two-piece style often loses the cover. I don't think it affects tone, but the prongs could get caught on your sleeves. I don't know of anyone who actually takes it off intentionally.

sunburst
Feb-09-2014, 4:32pm
If the tailpiece cover buzzes or rattles, it affects the sound. The purpose it cosmetic, mostly, to cover up the "nuts and bolts" of the stamped metal Gibson-style tailpiece. It is also functional in that it keeps the player's arm off of the "nuts and bolts" of the tailpiece. Many pros play without the cover because it got lost, or because it buzzed or rattled, or because it just isn't convenient to have to remove it for frequent string changes.

JEStanek
Feb-10-2014, 11:04am
I've seen many play with the cover off of the old two piece. Thile for example. I think if it rattles or gets in the way, some folks pull it off.

Jamie

mandroid
Feb-10-2014, 7:47pm
One less thing to deal with during string changes .. I recommend setting it aside , putting it
in the case compartment rather than losing it, then coming back on the classifieds
and needing to find another one ..

Elliot Luber
Feb-10-2014, 9:40pm
Short answer: No.

jasona
Feb-10-2014, 9:55pm
Counterpoint: with a nice piece of felt it can help dampen overtones from behind the bridge.

Loretta Callahan
Feb-10-2014, 11:56pm
Personally, I prefer tailpieces with no cover at all. I seem to be allergic to tailpiece covers. They rattle and scratch. So, I'm voting another "no".

Givson
Feb-11-2014, 9:44am
David Grisman used to recommend playing without the cover, as he felt the extra weight affected the tone. He also recommended removing the pickguard. I believe he now uses both, so try both ways and trust your ears.

Tim2723
Feb-11-2014, 10:51am
I've played with them off whenever they became a PITA.

bratsche
Feb-11-2014, 1:49pm
My one-piece tailpieces are all covered by armrests. (Except the GOM, where it's not necessary to have one that low.)

bratsche