PDA

View Full Version : Gibson F9

JimW
Feb-27-2004, 12:33pm
I know there's been some interest from a few of the cafe members on the Gibson F9. I just bought this one a few days ago. I'm really impressed with it's playability and tone. It's definitely got that dry, woody, Gibson bluegrass tone. Anyone looking for a F style mandolin in the 2K range should check these out.

Jim

ronlane3
Feb-27-2004, 1:43pm
JimW, Very nice. I really like mine. As soon as I get a digital camera, I'll post some of mine.

JimW
Feb-28-2004, 1:19pm
Ok, I took some pictures with better lighting today. Without the mauve chair (satisfied Dale) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

JimW
Feb-28-2004, 1:20pm
Another of the Front.

JimW
Feb-28-2004, 1:21pm
One of the back.

JimW
Feb-28-2004, 1:24pm
Last one, a closer shot of the back.

Dale doesn't know it yet, but I'm going to sell him my mauve chair. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

pickinNgrinnin
Feb-28-2004, 2:13pm
I didn't really care for the F9's at first but over time I am starting to like the simple look to them. Nice flame on the back on this one. Very nice.

Zed
Feb-29-2004, 9:55am
Same here. Lately i've come to really like the simple elegance of an F9 or a Collings MF.

markdavenport
Feb-29-2004, 5:36pm
I think Gibson some ante up and
put the dots on the fingerboard...

Coy Wylie
Feb-29-2004, 5:59pm
The simple look reminds me of an old fiddle. Question: why have mandolins been made so ornate and fiddles remain relatively plain?

mandobsessed
Feb-29-2004, 7:06pm
The simple look reminds me of an old fiddle. Question: why have mandolins been made so ornate and fiddles remain relatively plain?
Probably because the points might poke your eye out. Thats a good question actually. Any fiddle sages want to chime in here?

Bob A
Feb-29-2004, 8:53pm
Well, I don't know that I consider fiddles "plain". They're intricately carved, the purfling is probably harder to do that on a mandolin, the scroll is a piece of work, the overall shape has cosmetic augmentation as well.

I do know, though, that violinmakers do not like to work on mandolins. They hate the binding, and are taken aback at the amount of work necessary to open up a mandolin. Then there's the fret problems.

I guess it comes down to what you're used to.