PDA

View Full Version : New F4 on Ebay with pictures that are impossible

Gary Hedrick
Feb-09-2014, 9:25am
Another example of my pet peeve...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-Gibson-F4-Mandolin-/181320460961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a378aaaa1

So it goes like this: Want to sell instrument....take pictures (bad lighting...bad camera work....out of focus ...generally not of the important things)....put ad into Ebay...expect miracles...and oh don't review the photos to see if they are clear enough to see anything....

I assume this seller means well but he would be better served by taking better pictures. ....and what's with that finish on the back...

back to looking at that '22 F4 Scott has on the front page.......drooling indeed....now that puppy is the real deal....

ps. my avatar is an example of what one can do with a 3.6 megapixel camera and good lighting...
and I'm not even good at this...

pfox14
Feb-09-2014, 3:20pm
I don't know, I've seen worse pix than in this listing. They aren't that bad.

ollaimh
Feb-09-2014, 9:06pm
they're not the worst but they are pretty blurry and dark. however it looks like a nic einstrument. however am i the only one who finds that Gibson A models sound better?

Jim Garber
Feb-09-2014, 9:40pm
I always try to take photos outside even in cold weather -- the optimum being a cloudy day. I also take the photos with a real camera and not a cell phone. OTOH if I am seriously pursuing an instrument on eBay I will ask the seller to send me better photos and will ask him for particular shots. I will also request that I speak to him with instrument in hand esp if it is a high-ticket item like this mandolin.

Some people are just not hip to good photography.

Tobin
Feb-10-2014, 10:38am
I always try to take photos outside even in cold weather -- the optimum being a cloudy day. I also take the photos with a real camera and not a cell phone.

Yep, this is something I learned years ago taking photos of collectible firearms. Indoor lighting sucks if you're not a professional photographer with an expensive lighting setup. The best light is outdoor light on an overcast day, or when the sun is behind a cloud. No shadows, but lots of ambient light. Do not use the flash on the camera!

And the colors of the wood (especially on a mandolin) really come out when photographed against a natural background like grass.

Modern cell phones have really good high-quality cameras, but 99% of the time they suffer from shaky hands and poor lighting.

FL Dawg
Feb-10-2014, 2:08pm
It's tough to tell if the finish is original with those photos.

houseworker
Feb-11-2014, 3:38am
It's tough to tell if the finish is original with those photos.

Not from here it isn't. It's a refinish. Not unattractive though.

It doesn't have its original bridge or finger rest and I'd imagine the end pin is missing too. There's no mention of the case which presumably means that there isn't one.

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-11-2014, 11:07am
There is something not quite right with the peghead. I'm thinking the "neck repair" mentioned included a new peghead and use of some of the inlay. Inlay is not exactly right and the peghead shape/width, little curl is suspect.

pefjr
Feb-11-2014, 12:38pm
Neck repair? That may be the reason for the bad pictures.

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-11-2014, 2:24pm
Neck repair? That may be the reason for the bad pictures.

You can see the angular graft from say (not looking at the picture as I type) the 3-4th fret to just behind the nut

Gail Hester
Feb-11-2014, 3:31pm
I agree with Darryl that the inlay is all wrong. In addition, the headstock is an H4 mandola shape rather than an F4.