PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Wind Chords

jstrain
Mar-01-2005, 9:00am
Does anyone have or know chords for the song "When I'm Next To You"? It is a great tune my Mitch & Mickey from the movie. I have looked everywhere, but all I can find are lyrics.

Adam Tracksler
Mar-01-2005, 9:24am
I have the chords at home and will post them later today, if you want. Its a great movie, Chris Guest and Michael mckeon wrote all the songs.

--ad

John Flynn
Mar-01-2005, 9:56am
I bought the DVD, but the disk didn't have a hole in the middle! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

OdnamNool
Mar-01-2005, 10:05am
What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Meander on over to the "haiku" thread... #and explain!

John Flynn
Mar-01-2005, 10:46am
OdnamNool:

I don't do haiku. I enjoy reading it, though! The "hole" thing is an inside joke from the movie "A Mighty Wind." You should see it and I don't want to spoil it for you.

Nathan Sanders
Mar-01-2005, 11:56am
Check out EBAY! A friend of mine was bidding on a song book from A Mighty Wind.

jstrain
Mar-01-2005, 12:54pm
Thanks AD. If you have them, I'd love to see them. One of my favorite songs from the film. Johnny, that is a great scene discussing the new label. "Well they didn't have any distrubution really".

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-01-2005, 5:46pm
I bought the DVD, but the disk didn't have a hole in the middle! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
WhahhhHappenn?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Daniel

Adam Tracksler
Mar-01-2005, 5:54pm
Here goes:

D A/C# Bm Bm/A G D Bm A

D G A
Oh When The Veil of dreams has lifted

D G A
And the Fairytales have all been told

Theres A Kiss At The end of the Rainbow

More Precious than a pot of gold

D A
In Tales of ancient glory

D A/C# Bm Bm/A G
Every Knight and maiden Fair

A D G
Shall be joined when the quest is over

Bm A
And A kiss is the oath they swear

Thats pretty much it.

Dont forget the kiss, its the most important part!

Also if you (or anyone reading this) hasnt seen the other two movies 'Waiting for Guffman' and "Best in Show" (And i guess Spina Tap too) Please do.

--ad

Mar-01-2005, 6:33pm
I thought it was one of the worst movies ever. I rented it and i took it out 30min later. Id rather watch "O Brother" which is now one of my favorite movies of all time.

GeoMandoAlex
Mar-01-2005, 10:10pm
If you notice when the promoter's son was pointing out the wires and such on stage and the theater manager smacks him on the head, they cut the scene real quick. My fiance and I watched the movie with Guest and Levy doing commentary and they mentioned that after the manager hits him, the entire stage/film crew busts up in laughter.

Who here is a member of WINC?

John Flynn
Mar-02-2005, 12:57pm
"Oh Brother" is a great movie also, but a very, very different approach. I can completely understand why someone would not like the movie "A Mighty Wind," but I loved it. I think it was unfortuntely aimed at a narrow audience. To like that movie, you have to like Christopher Guest's "mocumentary" sytle of humor, a la "Sinal Tap," and "Best in Show" AND you have to have been really into the folk scene of the 60's and 70's, not only appreciating the good parts of it, but being open to some of the sillier aspects of it also.

What I liked about the movie was that it did some very effective send-ups of some of the foibles of folk scene, while still honoring and respecting that scene. The characters, like some of the real people they were based on, were often very flawed, but they were nonetheless single-minded in caring about thier music and about each other.

I also think some of the music written for the moive was very good. I thought it was notable that the tune "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" was nominated for an Oscar for "Best Original Song." It was also interesting that the soundtrack was released on T Bone Burnett's DMZ label. Of course, Burnett was the man behind the music on "O Brother." Small world.

man doh
Mar-02-2005, 1:04pm
Pgafan. I had the same thought as you when I saw it at the movies but now that it is on Cinemax I can't stop watching it. I knew it was a comedy but I did not expect that approach to it.

Katie
Mar-02-2005, 2:43pm
Christopher Guest movies are an acquired taste. I always thought they were brilliant because of the level of preparation and the quality of the improv that goes into them. A Mighty Wind is one of my favorites because it wasn't quite as silly as the others. There were some genuinely touching moments.
-Katie

jefflester
Mar-02-2005, 6:03pm
My favorite song is "Never Did No Wanderin'," that Guest plays mandolin on when they are rehearsing.

Nolan
Mar-02-2005, 7:55pm
Christopher Guest plays a Collings MT2 in the movie....

That is a great movie.

John Flynn
Mar-03-2005, 8:22am
Christopher Guest plays a Collings MT2 in the movie....
I read an interview with him around the time the movie came out. He said he was the only one of the "musicians" in the movie who had actually played music professionally, if only briefly. Decades ago, he backed both Arlo Guthrie and Loudon Wainwright on mandolin in a few performances they did in the NYC area.

Jack Roberts
Mar-05-2005, 1:17pm
A mighty wind is for '60s folkies. It pokes fun at the genre of music that includes "The Back Porch Majority" and the like. But what makes it a good film is that they are making fun out of something they actually do love. I've got tons of old vinyl, some even with holes in the middle of this stuff, and after seeing the film, I have started listening to them again.