PDA

View Full Version : String Width

Lee
Feb-28-2005, 5:40pm
It seems to me that many emando bridges are merely 4 or 5 string versions of a telecaster or stratocaster type bridge. I wonder if little or no thought were given to narrowing the spacing of the strings at the bridge; or if maybe there was some thought about it but decided not to. Has this aspect of emando design been overlooked?
I'd prefer them a little closer than the regular guitar type saddles will permit. Anyone else feel this way too?

thistle3585
Mar-01-2005, 9:32am
When I made my first emando bridge I was surprised at how close the string spacing was to a guitar. As I worked on my new design, I based the spacing off my acoustic bridge. The spacing, on center between the pairs, vaired from 10 mm(treble side) to 12 mm(bass side), so I spaced the emando strings at 11 mm on center. This left them a little larger than my acoustic spacing, but still closer than a guitars. Also, the biggest thing that will control the spacing is the availability of mando sized parts. On a hardtail bridge the saddles are going to determine the spacing more than anything else. They are only so small, and personally I didn't want them touching, in case there would be any sympathetic vibration. Here's the very first drawing I did. It has changed a little since I had to take the saddle sizes into consideration, but it is as close as I could get to matching my acoustic bridge.

Lee
Mar-01-2005, 11:20am
Nice drawing. What is it? Sorry, I'm not a guitar player and don't know what you mean by "hardtail bridge". I was expecting to see a plate or casting with a 90 degree bend. The flat expanse would lie flat on the emando top and the short bent part would have four (or five) holes to fit the screws that adjust the saddles fore & aft.

On another point of design; would it be appropriate on the emando to space the strings nearly equal to the center/center distance between courses on the acoustic, or space them as between adjacent strings on the acoustic? Or somewhere in between.

thistle3585
Mar-01-2005, 11:48am
Sorry, there would be a 90 degree bend about 7/16" from the top. The uppermost holes hold the saddles, the next row down hold the strings then the bottom ones are for mounting screws. The hole locations are based on the type of saddle, whether it be a barrel or a rectangular saddle. The holes for barrel saddles are done off center, because the string slots are off center, whereas the ones for rectangle saddles are drilled inline. Here is a photo of one with barrel saddles.

thistle3585
Mar-01-2005, 11:50am
Here is one with rectangle saddles.

Lee
Mar-01-2005, 2:09pm
And the strings terminate at a tailpiece? I'm used to seeing ferrules routing the barrel-end strings through the body.
Nice looking bridges.

thistle3585
Mar-01-2005, 3:55pm
Ballend strings thread in from the backside, over the saddle. Each saddle is adjustable for string height and intonation.

mandroid
Mar-01-2005, 7:50pm
thistle3585

If you manage a good substitute for the OEM fender fm61se 8 string bridge, I could use one , Im sure.
Got the action down so theres little micro setscrew spikes sticking up from the bridge barrels.

thistle3585
Mar-01-2005, 10:29pm
I've never seen a Fender up close. If you have a closeup shot of the bridge please post it. I suspect that the rear of the bridge is too high. I don't think it would be any big deal to make a replacement with lower holes. Post or send some drawings or pictures. I'll take up the challenge.