PDA

View Full Version : Old Time Mandolin for $300.00?

garyblanchard
Feb-27-2004, 11:35am
I also posted this in the general section, but thought you folks might have some insight and might miss it.

I am looking for a new (to me, anyway) mandolin for old-time music. My budget and my sensibilities put a strict $300.00 limit on what I will spend. At this time the mandolin will be played for about 4 or 5 songs out of a 45 song set; I am primarily a solo performer.

What type of mandolin is best suited to old-time? I find myself drawn to the look of the F-style but I gather they might be more suited to Bluegrass. Are there particular brands or models that I should consider? Ones that should be avoided? I want something that is easier to play than my Santa Rosa; the nut is so high that it is hard to hold the strings down at the first fret.

Thanks for any help you might provide. Please don't suggest that I save for that "good" mandolin, because this is as good as it is gonna get. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Bob DeVellis
Feb-27-2004, 11:43am
You might find a used Mid-Missouri for that price. They're a fine mandolin for old time music.

John Flynn
Feb-27-2004, 11:51am
I second that. A used Mid-mo would be your best bet, if you can find one for that price. There is also Don Kawalek's kits. For $300 you could build your own "mid-mo type" with all the trimmings. If you can't do either of those, I wouldn't worry about type of mando. In that price range, just get the best mando you can. I would find a $215 mando like a Kentucky and then spend $85 having a good, independent mando luthier do a complete set up with new strings. That will yield your best instrument for that amount of money.

doanepoole
Feb-27-2004, 12:57pm
Mid-Mos often show up used in the classifieds at or about that price range. I think I saw a couple at this price listed recently, and they pop up fairly regularly.

gretschbigsby
Feb-27-2004, 1:52pm
Strad O Lin! If only for the old time vibe...

Or this Kalamazoo maybe: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3706519339&category=10179

Those Mid-Mo's look great with the oval sound hole....

garyblanchard
Feb-27-2004, 1:59pm
Thanks for the input so far. The Mid Mo's look good, I'm thinking that might be the way to go. I'm sure I'll get more for the money used than new. That Kalamazoo looks nice, but the only time I got burned on Ebay was by someone who refused to take Pay pal, so I'm leary.

I'll have to check out the Strad O Lin. Not familiar with that.

I'm still open for input. Thanks again.

mcashion
Feb-28-2004, 7:09pm
I bought an Alvarez 100 A model from teh 1960's and I use if for old time. Solid wood, spruce top. Great sound with a set of TI mittle on it and looks great. Paid $200 for it. It'a not my main mandolin, but it was the main mando for the guy I bought it from...he used on a CD. Started selling Kentuckys, so thought he should play the merchandise. I learned on a friend's Alvarez.

ira
Feb-29-2004, 8:29pm
mid mo, especially their relatively new 'w' models- tried em at the music emporium in lexington, ma- and was most impressed.

garyblanchard
Mar-01-2004, 9:28am
Thanks again to all those who have supplied info. Unfortunately, other unexpected expenses have intervened to prevent a new purchase. Fortunately, I got the problems with my A-style Johnson madolin worked out and am content with it.