PDA

View Full Version : JH Ebblewhite 10-String, 4-Choose Banjolin

Keefaz
Jan-31-2014, 10:17am
Hello chaps,

I find myself working on this old thing.

http://s27.postimg.org/vnqxfhpgj/CAM00063.jpg

As you can see it has ten strings and slots arranged 2-2-3-3. Would tuning be as per normal with a triple course for the A and E? Nylon strings okay or is gut the way to go?

Help much appreciated!

allenhopkins
Jan-31-2014, 12:54pm
You have triple courses on the treble strings, which surprises me a bit; off the cuff, I'd have thought that perhaps the lower two courses were octave strung, but doubt that the treble courses would be.

You say "banjolin," so I assume it's a variant of the mandolin-banjo, with a skin (if you're in UK you may say "vellum") head. I've almost never seen a mandolin-banjo strung with anything other than steel strings, but this is a real oddball, so who knows?

Good luck finding a 10-string bridge for it, if it didn't come with the original. I'd also suggest very light steel strings, because nylon/gut tend to vibrate through a wider arc, and with a triple course, strings very close together, it might be hard to keep the strings from clashing when strummed.

Your tuning question's a good one: lot of string tension with ten strings, so definitely light gauge, maybe tuned down (?).

Googled "Ebblewhite" -- looks like you've got a late-19th or early-20th century oddity! Keep us posted. What kinda pegs are you going to use.

Keefaz
Jan-31-2014, 9:18pm
Actually, I have the original machineheads, but they were soaking to de-crud while I was photographing! I took three old fishing-line type strings off it but I've no idea if that is what 'should' be on there. The whole thing is a bit... weird.

I think I will go the nylon string route. The neck already has quite a bow in it, and the tension from 10 steel strings might just finish it off! I only wish I knew what the maker had intended...

alanroyjohnson
Jun-26-2014, 5:11am
Hello chaps,

I find myself working on this old thing.

http://s27.postimg.org/vnqxfhpgj/CAM00063.jpg

As you can see it has ten strings and slots arranged 2-2-3-3. Would tuning be as per normal with a triple course for the A and E? Nylon strings okay or is gut the way to go?

Help much appreciated!

I have been given exactly the same instrument! It has steel strings which I'm pretty sure is what its supposed to be strung with. Nylon strings might make quite a pleasant sound although I guess they would be a bit quiet and possibly a little dull. I'd be interested to hear your experience. I'm going to fit new steel strings, make a new bridge and clean it up. it makes a good sound already so I anticipate finishing with a nice instrument.

alanroyjohnson
Jun-26-2014, 5:27am
I have been given exactly the same instrument! It has steel strings which I'm pretty sure is what its supposed to be strung with. Nylon strings might make quite a pleasant sound although I guess they would be a bit quiet and possibly a little dull. I'd be interested to hear your experience. I'm going to fit new steel strings, make a new bridge and clean it up. it makes a good sound already so I anticipate finishing with a nice instrument.
I also meant to add that each set, of the current strings, are tuned in unison and each set of grooves in the nut and bridge look the same thickness within themselves also supporting the probability that each set of strings were tuned in unison, not an octave apart.

alanroyjohnson
Jun-29-2014, 6:25am
I have advice from andybanjo@andybanjo.com that the mandolin-banjo in question is meant to have steel strings with each course (or choose) tuned in unison.