PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Bilw85
Jan-27-2014, 9:49am
Hello people,

My name is Bill and I thought I'd join this community seeing as how I just ordered my new mandolin. I have no music experience but I have attempted several times to learn to play music. After weeks of research and listening to dozens of instruments on youtube and talking with some people, I decided to buy the mandolin package from Elderly that includes the KM-150. I'm really excited to take this next step in my life. I'm 28 years old and have always wanted some music in my life, but was shamed and discouraged by a select few people around me. I hope to learn a lot from you folks and I'll make sure to give feedback on my experience. Thank you. :mandosmiley:

George R. Lane
Jan-27-2014, 9:56am
Bill,
Welcome and enjoy your new mandolin.

JeffD
Jan-27-2014, 9:58am
There will be nothing more satisfying down the road, than to casually pull off some great music in front of those discouraging select few! :)

Denny Gies
Jan-27-2014, 10:17am
Welcome, Bill, to the wild, wacky world of mandolins. Be prepared for a lot of fun, enjoyment, frustration and some pain in the fingers as you get your calluses built up. Have fun.

David Rambo
Jan-27-2014, 10:19am
Welcome to the Café, Bill. (And welcome to the mandolin world) You have wonderful experiences waiting for you!

lorrainehornig
Jan-27-2014, 11:49am
Hello people,

I'm 28 years old and have always wanted some music in my life, but was shamed and discouraged by a select few people around me.:
Welcome! I just want to say that there are always going to be people out there who will want to rain on your parade. Don't let them. If they try to discourage you it is because they don't have the drive to actually go out and learn something new. The adventure upon which you are embarking is worthy and admirable. Start learning that mandolin and never look back! Good luck to you!

Tobin
Jan-27-2014, 11:58am
I'm trying to imagine what kind of a person would "shame and discourage" anyone from taking up a musical instrument. What possible objection would they have to it?

I'd stay as far away from people like that as possible, whether you take up the mandolin or not. That sounds like a toxic personality that only adds negativity to the lives of others around them.

Timbofood
Jan-27-2014, 12:07pm
Be prepared for some generally good natured ribbing and the once in awhile feeling like you've just had your nose put out of joint but, stick with playing and remember it is always supposed to be fun!
Welcome to the wacky world of mandolining!

Bilw85
Jan-27-2014, 12:15pm
Thanks for the warm replies.

As for the shame and discourage; That seems more like a small-town cultural thing where I live. "Music is for females and sports is the guy thing". At least that was how I grew up. Not something I really hold against anyone now.

Now that I'm a father of two young ins, I really want to be able to be an example to encourage my kids. I'd rather not have them say at my funeral That I always wanted to master an instrument but never had the courage or time.

Thanks again.

catmandu2
Jan-27-2014, 12:30pm
I'm trying to imagine what kind of a person would "shame and discourage" anyone from taking up a musical instrument. What possible objection would they have to it?

I'd stay as far away from people like that as possible, whether you take up the mandolin or not. That sounds like a toxic personality that only adds negativity to the lives of others around them.

There certainly have been negative cultural attitudes toward musicians throughout history--such as Bill mentions in his community; many of these dispositions endure among many families. Music is often seen as frivolous--not something a proper person would pursue when they should be out earning an income. Musicians have traditionally occupied a low-echelon position in social ranks--often just a rung above beggar and thief

Particulalry in modern society: we don't exactly value art--myth, storytelling, shamanism, local ritual, etc.--in real terms. There's usually a pill for all that..

OldSausage
Jan-27-2014, 12:36pm
I've always thought music was for females. That's the main reason I took it up, but sadly they never seemed that interested.

Mark Wilson
Jan-27-2014, 12:47pm
..and have always wanted some music in my life, but was shamed and discouraged by a select few people around me.Nothing motivates me more to buckle in and work harder than ever, just to prove folks like that wrong.

Welcome to the world of mandolin. It's harder than you can imagine but more rewarding than you could have hoped for.

TheBlindBard
Jan-27-2014, 2:44pm
Hey, Bill,
You're in for some good times. You did good by getting an elderly instrument, set-up is key to a good mandolin. Your fingers will thank you for sure. Enjoy the journey and don't be afraid to ask questions. What genre are you interested in taking up?
Happy picking and enjoy the mandolin!

Bilw85
Jan-27-2014, 3:31pm
I'm mostly aiming for classical and celtic, but I will try to learn a bit of blue grass just for the heck of it.

F-2 Dave
Jan-27-2014, 5:11pm
Hello Bill.

nordian
Jan-27-2014, 5:25pm
Welcome Bill. The Cafe is a great place to pick up info and learn about all things mandolin. It's members are a truly great bunch of people. Have fun with your new instrument and on your musical journey. Patience will pay off for you on this journey.

Bilw85
Jan-31-2014, 7:29am
Well I just wanted to report back: I received my mandolin from Elderly yesterday after only 4 days. The mandolin looks great. It's a KM150. So I wanted to make sure to let everyone know that Elderly did a great job and shipped twice as fast as I was even hoping for.

OU1
Jan-31-2014, 7:34am
Hey Bill, welcome to the team....keep us posted on your progress, love to see the posts. Get a good book, instructor, or use you tube and pluck some strings, make a noise, and don't look back!

JEStanek
Jan-31-2014, 8:47am
Welcome to the Cafe, Bill. Have fun with your mandiolin, you're starting with a good one.

Jamie

Wolfmanbob
Jan-31-2014, 9:55am
We welcome recent converts to our arcane sect of devotees known as mandolytes. We have many strange and mysterious practices that are passed on individually. If you study faithfully and prove your devotion you may someday become a full fledged mando-master. Until then you must struggle on, note by note, learning your craft with faith and patience. It may often seem a thankless endeavor as most people have little understanding of our ways. But in the end, I think you will find it to be worthwhile.

Matt DeBlass
Jan-31-2014, 10:31am
"Music is for girls, sports are for guys,"well, you can do both, and you'll certainly find any number of pickers who are just "regular guy" types. In fact you'll find just about every "type" of guy (and a number of gals) here on the Cafe. More importantly, though, who cares?

If they're going to give you a hard time, they can stick it where the sun don't shine (this time of year, I believe that would be northern Norway or maybe a couple towns in Alaska).

Welcome to the cafe! And enjoy the journey

Amanda Gregg
Jan-31-2014, 11:01am
Welcome, Bill, from a fellow 28-year-old. Enjoy your mandolin. Many of us, as you can see from the discussion above, have faced some discouragement when learning to play. I've had plenty of criticism from my family, for example. However, playing music has introduced me to whole new social spheres that I would never have encountered otherwise. So, you lose, you gain.