PDA

View Full Version : Weber Aspen 1 Brekke bridge yes/no ?

mandodan1960
Jan-24-2014, 11:57pm
Ok, So I picked up a very nice Weber Aspen 1 off craigslist this evening. It came with the original packaging i.e pick, made in Montana sticker, Brekke bridge card, Hex adjustment tool etc. But the bridge is not a brekke. The curious thing is that on the foot of this two piece non-adjustable bridge it has written in pencil ASPEN and the serial number. So did the Weber Aspen 1 come with a Brekke bridge ? I would assume so but the more I think of how low a profile this bridge is verses the brekke on my Weber Yellowstone I think maybe the Brekke would not be possible for a flattop. I guess the obvious question is.... "Whats on your Aspen?" Thanks to all that reply.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-25-2014, 3:54am
Take a photo of the bridge in question & e-mail it to Weber.They are extremely helpful folk & they'd give you the definitive answer.OR - look for Verne Brekke's name on here & send him a PM. He designed the 2 versions of the Weber 'Brekke' bridges so he'd be able to inform you of any exceptions if a different bridge was fitted,
Ivan

multidon
Jan-25-2014, 6:38am
All of the Weber flat tops I have seen came with the non adjustable bridge not a Brekke. I'm not even sure if its possible to put one obe. Those are sesigned for arch tops. I think there is a way to adjust action. There may have been different height saddles at one time or the saddle you have could be shimmed I suppose. I dont know why the tool is in the case. Maybe its just standard case candy. I got a tremolo arm once in case candy that came with a fixed bridge telecaster.

JeffD
Jan-25-2014, 1:44pm
My Aspen II did not. Its a one piece non-adjustable bride.

VernBrekke
Jan-25-2014, 2:07pm
The Aspen, Alder, Sage and Tamarack flat top instruments had two piece bridges: a base with a saddle insert that could be sanded to height. The Original Brekke and the Traditional bridges could not adjust low enough to work on the flat instruments and still have a reasonable adjustment range. For a period of time, all of the bridges that I designed for Weber were called "Brekke Bridges" including the flat bridges.

Hope this helps,

Vern

mandodan1960
Jan-25-2014, 3:27pm
The Aspen, Alder, Sage and Tamarack flat top instruments had two piece bridges: a base with a saddle insert that could be sanded to height. The Original Brekke and the Traditional bridges could not adjust low enough to work on the flat instruments and still have a reasonable adjustment range. For a period of time, all of the bridges that I designed for Weber were called "Brekke Bridges" including the flat bridges.

Hope this helps,

Vern

Great products Vern. I appreciate the Brekke on my yellowstone and thanks for your reply.

Dan

pheffernan
Jan-26-2014, 12:21am
I would be very interested in playing a Weber Aspen or even a Y2K2 so as to compare it with my Mid-Missouri and several other flattops.