PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: The Andy Statman Trio - The Arkansas Traveler

wamubluegrass
Jan-24-2014, 8:31am
Here is The Andy Statman Trio performing The Arkansas Traveler for the WAMU's Bluegrass Country YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/bluegrasscountry).

That's Andy Statman on mandolin, Jim Whitney on bass, and Larry Eagle on percussion.

PZ-VIvo3oP8

Pete Jenner
Jan-24-2014, 8:35am
The bass is way too loud.

red7flag
Jan-24-2014, 8:37am
I lived in the Baltimore area for a long time. Got to love the bluegrass programming on WAMU. Got me through a lot of long drives. Thanks for the excellent video, WAMU.

roysboy
Jan-24-2014, 8:50am
Andy and the boys have a lot of time on their hands . BTW when did they start putting drums in "bluegrass" ?

coletrickle
Jan-24-2014, 9:16am
I thought that was fantastic and while the bass is loud, it is also a focal part of his trio sound. To me it sounded great, and Andy's playing was clean and energetic. Obviously Andy's approach to bluegrass is far beyond traditional and the percussion element is central to his approach of combining traditional fiddle tunes with jazz. I'm glad WAMU showcases other types of American music, and these videos are always nicely done. Thanks!

wamubluegrass
Jan-24-2014, 9:20am
Thanks cole.

Guys,the trio is not a bluegrass band (and I wasn't aware that this forum was a bluegrass-only mando forum).

And WAMU's Bluegrass Country isn't just a bluegrass station. While bluegrass is our bread and butter, we broadcast all kinds of roots music on the weekends mostly.

ides1056
Jan-24-2014, 9:27am
I look forward to hearing them in Northampton soon.

JEStanek
Jan-24-2014, 9:31am
We're not a bluegrass only forum, that's for sure. Some folks just really defend that patch of ground vigorously (as if it needed defending). I'm a big Statman Trio fan. I thought the video was great. Nice use of the GoPro's to capture the action without having a cameraman in their faces.

Jamie

onassis
Jan-24-2014, 10:11am
Is this two-point the same Kimble that Andy's had for a while? I don't recall seeing it before.

BTW, it always makes me smile to hear Andy humming along. :)

brent1308
Jan-24-2014, 10:21am
Andy had an F and then sold it through Will and obtained this one last year.

John Radcliffe
Jan-24-2014, 10:40am
Thanks cole.

Guys,the trio is not a bluegrass band (and I wasn't aware that this forum was a bluegrass-only mando forum).

And WAMU's Bluegrass Country isn't just a bluegrass station. While bluegrass is our bread and butter, we broadcast all kinds of roots music on the weekends mostly.

I enjoyed that.

While not a bluegrass forum, to hear a bluegrass standard, posted by someone representing a bluegrass channel (in name if not exclusively bluegrass) in _such_ a jazz arrangement, I was surprised that they didn't bring in saxophones or clarinets to take a break!

It is amazing how far a song can be bent from it's original conception without breaking.

Rush Burkhardt
Jan-24-2014, 11:13am
Good music is good music; with mandolin, so much the better!
Thanks WAMU!
:popcorn:

AlanN
Jan-24-2014, 11:17am
Bass too loud? Not to my ears. And these fellows know where they are in the tune at all times. I love it.

roysboy
Jan-24-2014, 2:09pm
I enjoyed that.

While not a bluegrass forum, to hear a bluegrass standard, posted by someone representing a bluegrass channel (in name if not exclusively bluegrass) in _such_ a jazz arrangement, I was surprised that they didn't bring in saxophones or clarinets to take a break!

It is amazing how far a song can be bent from it's original conception without breaking.

Yeah ...this sums up what I tried to express earlier, John . Great players , obviously ...but I'm not sure Arkansas Traveller could have been bent too much further before it broke .....lol .

Tobin
Jan-24-2014, 2:23pm
LOL, I wouldn't have known it was Arkansas Traveler at all if the title hadn't said it was. The ending sure sounded like Get up John to me! The middle was just... well... I dunno.

It was fantastic playing, though. I'm not into that jazzy sort of stuff, but you certainly have to give the man props for totally being able to shred that mandolin.

coletrickle
Jan-24-2014, 2:42pm
While not Traveler, this cut shows how far these three can take a fiddle tune:
http://vimeo.com/17619034

roysboy
Jan-24-2014, 3:03pm
While not Traveler, this cut shows how far these three can take a fiddle tune:
http://vimeo.com/17619034

OK ...I give up . I thought I had a clue what the song was from the washboard part but ...nope . Copeland ? Cage ? Cougar ?..hey wait ..is that even a washboard ?

Bill Baldridge
Jan-24-2014, 3:18pm
Not my cup of tea, but so what? Thanks for sharing.

coletrickle
Jan-24-2014, 3:24pm
I believe the entire tune is Liberty

tkdboyd
Jan-24-2014, 4:08pm
They were taking liberties with Liberty. Never heard anything from Andy Statman that I didn't appreciate, sometimes you have to be in the right mood to enjoy his works, some may never enjoy it. But one who listens and watches without bias has to admit there is some massive talent there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCnOTlepqc

sgarrity
Jan-24-2014, 4:15pm
Love it. Please keep posting your roots music videos!

Charlieshafer
Jan-24-2014, 5:30pm
Andy is still my favorite player just because you can't categorize him. Not very many can match his playing, and even fewer his inventiveness. With Andy, don;t worry about what the title of a tune is; it's irrelevant. And don't worry about labels; it's music. And great music at that.

outsidenote
Jan-24-2014, 7:04pm
As a fan of both Jazz and Bluegrass I thought it was great. I also really like the bass - wasn't too loud for me. Thanks for posting this video. From a Jazz perspective the improv sections didn't really stretch into the abstract that much but the phrasing was more Jazz than Bluegrass.

I love Bluegrass and appreciate efforts to keep it alive but I listen to other music also. I can't live on grass alone!

mandolirius
Jan-24-2014, 7:16pm
Andy is still my favorite player just because you can't categorize him. Not very many can match his playing, and even fewer his inventiveness. With Andy, don;t worry about what the title of a tune is; it's irrelevant. And don't worry about labels; it's music. And great music at that.

It's a shame more people can't think like that. I'm always amazed by the absolute rigidity some folks exhibit around here. A Statman video always elicits that type of reaction. Some people can't paint without numbers, some can't hear without "encumbers".

FLATROCK HILL
Jan-24-2014, 7:34pm
They were taking liberties with Liberty. Never heard anything from Andy Statman that I didn't appreciate, sometimes you have to be in the right mood to enjoy his works, some may never enjoy it. But one who listens and watches without bias has to admit there is some massive talent there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCnOTlepqc

Not a big fan of the progressive/jazzy Statman stuff but this one was excellent! Tim and Michael kept things within my narrow minded musical taste limits (encumbers?). The guy playing the desk however, was gittin' way too jiggy wit it.

jesserules
Jan-24-2014, 8:22pm
Here is The Andy Statman Trio performing The Arkansas Traveler for the WAMU's Bluegrass Country YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/bluegrasscountry).

That's Andy Statman on mandolin, Jim Whitney on bass, and Larry Eagle on percussion.

PZ-VIvo3oP8

That is really good, I enjoyed it. I've been a fan of Andy Statman's since Flatbush Waltz days.

That isn't Bluegrass.

Mike Bunting
Jan-24-2014, 8:24pm
Damn right! He plays with passion and soul, just like old Bill.

truck2242
Jan-24-2014, 9:06pm
I don't care what kind of music you may prefer, these fellas can flat tear it up. Thanks for posting.

Ken Olmstead
Jan-25-2014, 2:34am
Just smoking! Andy rules! Reminds me of another feller that gave a unique spin to traditional fiddle tunes until they exploded on the airwaves all over America!!!

For me, the bluegrass genre is limited to Bill Monroe, I consider everything else acoustic music (if they use acoustic instruments that is.)

Try not to let labels decide whether you like something or not. That is a dizzying display of mando virtuosity. I can't imagine any one on this forum not being at least a little inspired by that post! Thanks OP!