PDA

View Full Version : New Lawrence Smart F-5

ninevah
Feb-27-2005, 8:30pm
New Lawrence Smart F-5, with "blonde" top, sunburst back and sides, #169. Top is Englemann spruce from Idaho, back/sides/neck maple, I believe from the Northeast, USA. Varnish finish, very tastefully done, imo, not flat but not like the glare/shine you get on some instruments. Three piece neck with an ebony strip down the center, wow!. One of the easiest mandolins I have ever had the pleasure of playing, slight radius, neck is fast, no sticking, just slick. The neck has a rounded profile exactly as requested. Abbreviated ebony pickguard that off-sets very nicely against the top. Full mitered binding, black-white-black so it can stand out on the blonde, though it looks great to me on the sunburst sides too.

The sound is outstanding, you can pick outright and get a clear and focused sound, or pick to emphasize a woody sound, both are there. It responds to both a soft and hard touch very well. Plus it has a great chop, percussive with tone. Also asked Lawrence for a strong bass so on tunes like Jerusalem Ridge you can be heard clearly in the opening measures without hammering the strings, he pegged it. All strings are nicely balanced, and tone is excellent all the way up.

Lawrence has really hit his stride, check out his instruments.

ninevah
Feb-27-2005, 8:33pm
Back and sides

Jonathan James
Feb-27-2005, 8:33pm
Beautiful!

Skip Kelley
Feb-27-2005, 8:38pm
Beautiful mandolin! A real piece of art!!

Jeff A
Feb-27-2005, 8:45pm
Wow! Deserves an Oscar! What a beauty.

ninevah
Feb-27-2005, 8:54pm
Peghead. The peghead design is inspired by a pair of twin peaks just outside McCall, Idaho where Lawrence lives.

Scotti Adams
Feb-27-2005, 9:09pm
..thats gotta be some of the prettiest back and side woods I have ever seen....congrats man....what kind of tailpiece is she sportin? and..hows the action at the nut?....looks kinda high from the pics...

ShaneJ
Feb-27-2005, 9:48pm
My goodness! That is beautiful! I LOVE the color, and the binding is very nice. Congratulations!

ninevah
Feb-27-2005, 9:48pm
Hi....tailpiece is a Gary Price, with A. Lawrence Smart engraved. The string height at the nut is perfect for me. You can really grab the note there. Has to be one of the easiest mandolins I have ever played. Just can't over-state this point.

berkeleymando
Feb-27-2005, 9:50pm
Wow between these and SternART's (two) two pointers that show up by Mr. Smart here from time to time, one has to think this fellow is quite an excellent builder. You are indeed a very lucky fellow to have such a gorgeous mandolin.

jasona
Feb-27-2005, 10:46pm
Off the hook pretty that one is!

SternART
Feb-27-2005, 11:25pm
Congrats Ninevah!!!
I saw your mando without tuners & strings on my trip to McCall a few weeks back.
I'll bet she sounds as good as she looks.
Lawrence & I are now collaborating on a futuristic looking pair of instruments, they will be in his next batch,
a mandola and a mandolin. I'm a BIG fan of Lawrence's work.

amowry
Feb-28-2005, 12:10am
I've always loved those pegheads.

Milan Christi
Feb-28-2005, 12:43am
Those looks rate an "11" on a scale of 10. Can't stop staring at it. Thanks for sharing!! I'll bet it's a real blast just holding that baby!

Mando4Life
Feb-28-2005, 9:24am
wow....wow....wow

I normally don't care for the Monte style pegheads..but that one is real classy

congrats...if it sounds even half as good as it looks then...well....wow

enjoy!

WBL

timothy.c.hicks
Feb-28-2005, 9:51am
Do you have any pics of the whole mando front and back and the scroll up close...

Gibsonman
Feb-28-2005, 11:14am
GREAT Looking . Love the neck and back.

ninevah
Feb-28-2005, 5:52pm
Tim Hicks asked for more pictures, so if you all don't mind, I'll send the full front and back. Also a closer picture of the scroll.

ninevah
Feb-28-2005, 5:53pm
Back Fulll

ninevah
Feb-28-2005, 5:55pm
Scroll, could be closer but Tim it's what I have for now.

timothy.c.hicks
Feb-28-2005, 6:08pm
You are one lucky mandolin player! I'm jealous http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

LKN2MYIS
Feb-28-2005, 6:15pm
Incredible looking mando!

You are very fortunate.

Lane Pryce
Feb-28-2005, 7:06pm
That is without a doubt the most beautiful mandolin I have ever seen.It is incredible!!!Lp

mandopete
Feb-28-2005, 7:14pm
YOWZA!!

We missed Lawrence this year at Wintergrass! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Kirk Albrecht
Feb-28-2005, 8:55pm
That sure is one pretty mando! I hope it sounds as yummy as it looks - eye candy indeed!

mikeomando
Mar-01-2005, 1:01am
I don't usually quote Spike Lee as Mars Blackmun in the film "She's Gotta Have it", but tonight I am moved:
"Just let me sniff it!"

Baron Collins-Hill
Mar-01-2005, 10:11am
i love those sides http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Phil Jolly
Mar-02-2005, 9:36pm
WOW.....

WOW