PDA

View Full Version : Old Time Mandolin for $300.00?

garyblanchard
Feb-27-2004, 10:41am
I am looking for a new (to me, anyway) mandolin for old-time music. My budget and my sensibilities put a strict $300.00 limit on what I will spend. At this time the mandolin will be played for about 4 or 5 songs out of a 45 song set; I am primarily a solo performer.

What type of mandolin is best suited to old-time? I find myself drawn to the look of the F-style but I gather they might be more suited to Bluegrass. Are there particular brands or models that I should consider? Ones that should be avoided? I want something that is easier to play than my Santa Rosa; the nut is so high that it is hard to hold the strings down at the first fret.

Thanks for any help you might provide. Please don't suggest that I save for that "good" mandolin, because this is as good as it is gonna get. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

GBG
Feb-27-2004, 11:12am
A used Mid-Missouri.

Bowzette
Feb-27-2004, 1:25pm
Flatiron Cadet

Tiderider
Feb-27-2004, 3:28pm
I've seen several Kalmazoo flat-top round hole mandolins on ebay as of late, these make nice old time instruments and in your price range, imho.

Lee

garyblanchard
Feb-27-2004, 5:14pm
Thanks to all who replied. I like the look of the Mid-Mo as it fits my "no-frills" style. I saw a Kalamazoo on EBay today, but the seller isn't taking Pay Pay and is pushing Bid Pay. The only time I got ripped off on EBay was a similar situation.

I'm still open to suggestions.

Walter Newton
Feb-27-2004, 11:26pm
Used Mid-Mo gets my vote too; - flattop/round hole, all solid wood, American made, low frills/price...seems just the ticket for OT to me. Had one as my first mando 'till I decided I was serious enough to upgrade, and sold it to a good home...

pathfinder
Feb-28-2004, 6:36am
Why not the used Mid Mo listed in the classifieds yesterday for $300? #Sounds like a perfect fit to me, and the owner's in Virginia (not so far away from you). #FWIW.