Scotti Adams
Feb-27-2005, 5:53pm
another

Scotti Adams
Feb-27-2005, 5:54pm
another

Scotti Adams
Feb-27-2005, 5:56pm
last one...John sent me these pics to resize and post for him....nice lookin 'doe huh?

El Rey del Mando
Feb-27-2005, 6:05pm
Scotti,your the best,I had more trouble posting these pictures than I did building this instrument.I know,It looks it.I am going to try another for my brother,(the real mando player)and his is going to be normal,although this is normal to me.All my instruments look like this, only years did it, not me.Now if I could just do something about getting the right smell to it I would be ok.

John

Gibsonman
Feb-28-2005, 11:27am
Man it sure looks old. Very nice job.

Keith Miller
Mar-01-2005, 12:54am
This may seem a daft question but I've always wondered since Gibson brought out the distresssed MM, WHY buy a new instrument and have it aged to look 80 years old ? is it purely cosmetic or does it actually change the tone ? If it is cosmetic why not spend the same sort of cash and get an original http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
Keith

Scotti Adams
Mar-01-2005, 12:57am
...purely cosmetic...now if they used old wood that may be a different story when it comes to the sound...

El Rey del Mando
Mar-01-2005, 8:20am
Keith,If you are talking about the instrument that I just built,I could have made this one look all shiney and new, easier than the work it took to make it look old.I have been beating the devil out of it for only a week and a half and if you heard it,you would not believe it.It sounds old too.Maybe it's the german silver spruce top.My Gibson and my Flatiron are going to hate me soon.They are not getting any attention as of late.I am excited to see what another month will do to this one.I am building another one for my brother and when I finish it,his will have a shiney,new looking finish.Keep an eye open for # 2.Then I quit!(I think)

John

Keith Miller
Mar-01-2005, 8:35am
John,
No critisism meant, I prefer old mandos to new, I just wondered why the sudden popularity of distressed finishes
distressing a MM seems to add a lot to the price ! Does distressing add odour as well http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif that might be harder to copy that the finish.
Keith.

kudzugypsy
Mar-01-2005, 8:53am
good job!
as for the distressed craze going on...
for 200 years, violins have been distressed, and even to this day, symphony players usually opt for the distressed look. why? because its COOL!
but seriously, the violin has been around for over 400yrs, the (modern, ie F5) mandolin for 80yrs, and the electric guitar for 50. it is just now that those old instruments are beginning to really show their age. there would have been little need to distress mandos and electric guitars 20-30yrs ago, because you could buy the naturally distressed ones for a decent price.
the rest of the instrument market is just following the violin trade. i would put a safe guess that with in the next 20yrs, a distressed "replica" will be available from most luthiers, much the same way that violin makers for years have offered "down to the exact ding" replicas of the most famous italian masters work.
there are professional violinist paying $30-60K for "worn out" replicas by the top luthiers.

El Rey del Mando
Mar-01-2005, 8:53am
Keith,I was not thinking that way at all.No odor,It smells new all the way.Too bad though,I love that smell.I would wear it for aftershave if I could find it,and put some in the mando and the case.It should be called,Eaude de grandma's attic.(o:

John

El Rey del Mando
Mar-01-2005, 8:58am
Kudz,Thanks for the input.If I can get any good feedback on this site,after all I've seen here,I'm thrilled.Thanx again,

John

Baron Collins-Hill
Mar-01-2005, 10:08am
i think gibson sprays something in the f holes of their distressed MM. maybe you could buy a bottle off them. dont know how others would take to it though http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

El Rey del Mando
Mar-01-2005, 10:17am
Believe me Phish,I would take that chance.If they can't handle it,Oh well!

John