PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Mandobird VIII (Correct subforum!)

Petrus
Jan-22-2014, 1:00am
(Erroneously posted this in the Vintage Instrument subforum.) :redface:

Something I've been thinking of lately, being offered in my local area. Opinions -- good/mediocre? I already Googled it, and am not seeing a lot of them out there; a few of the four-string model (which is hardly a mando, imo. ... it don't mean a thing if it ain't got eight strings!)

pfox14
Jan-22-2014, 4:15pm
I love the shape of the original Gibson Firebird guitar, so I think it's way cool. How much is it?

Vernon Hughes
Jan-22-2014, 4:21pm
You can buy them when offered for less than 300.00..Then you need to upgrade the pickup and tailpiece intonation parts to get them to play balanced and in tune. I have a gold colored 4 string i've already done the upgrades to that i'm considering letting go soon.

jefflester
Jan-22-2014, 4:22pm
You can run a search on Mandobird VIII here on the cafe and get a bunch of previous threads.

Petrus
Jan-22-2014, 5:30pm
Around $200.

Freddyfingers
Jan-24-2014, 1:02am
Also consider a Eastwood Mandocaster! I have one, Plays well after set up, stock pickups ok, but can be easily upgraded. It plays very well!

Petrus
Jan-24-2014, 1:16am
I also like the Vox (teardrop or pentagonal/trapezohedral shape.) Saw one on eBay a few weeks ago, it might've been out of my range. Recently I saw a "Givson" advertised (not a typo, literally "Givson.") Not too sure about that one. Any company that would try to make themselves sound similar to Gibson in hopes of buyers not knowing the difference is a little suspect, imo.

jefflester
Jan-24-2014, 4:42pm
Avoid the Givson at all costs.

The Vox is not actually a mandolin, rather a mini 12-string guitar.

There are plenty of threads down in the electric section for you to read to become more familiar with the various electric models.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?53-Four-Five-and-Eight-String-Electrics