PDA

View Full Version : New Bill Davis Flattop

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2005, 5:07pm
My new toy I got a couple of weeks ago and am just now taking pictures of. Bill Davis is a Kansas based builder who is turning out marvelous high end F mandolins. Jim Baggett at Mass Street talked him into building some affordable models and this is the result. These are priced under $1K and are only available from Mass Street Music. Plenty of mandolins in that range but very, very few with this kind of big voice, high end workmanship and setup/attention to detail. This one is x-braced. I had a radiused fretboard added which added a tad to the price but is well worth it. This mandolin is a ton of fun to play and is really easy on the hands. It's the sound that really drew me to these though.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2005, 5:08pm
From the back

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2005, 5:08pm
Close up of face

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2005, 5:09pm
back...

Scotti Adams
Sweet

Scott Tichenor
From the side. I love this shot.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2005, 5:10pm
Headstock logo is stamped.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2005, 5:10pm

J. Mark Lane
Feb-27-2005, 5:13pm
Uh, oh.

....What kind of wood is that?

This is bad, this is really bad.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2005, 5:38pm
Bill typically uses sitka but this one is red spruce. I suppose folks would think red spruce would sound better but these are real consistent and I can't tell any difference. Back and sides are walnut from a tree he cut down himself about seven years ago. The neck is mahogany. Schaller tuners.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2005, 6:12pm
One detail left out is that this is recommended for light gauge strings. Amazing sound for light gauge IMHO.

Mando Medic
Feb-27-2005, 6:28pm
What is the back wood? kenc

grandmainger
Feb-27-2005, 6:45pm
What is the back wood?
2 posts up from yours: "Back and sides are walnut from a tree he cut down himself about seven years ago."

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

I really wanted one on these with a couple of options, but I had such a hard time getting in touch with Bill Davis that I finally gave up. Apparently, he had computer problems. Shame really because they're lovely... http://www.grandmainger.com/avatars/damnpc.gif

J. Mark Lane
Feb-27-2005, 7:00pm
Well, if I wanted one (and if my budget allows, I may very well), I think I'd call Mass Street Music....I believe Scott indicated these were being made for them to market.

It sure is nice looking. I wonder if he's making any with East Indian Rosewood back and sides? I guess I should call Mass Street....

Gibsonman
Feb-27-2005, 7:24pm
Very nice Scott, and Great pictures.

luckylarue
Feb-27-2005, 7:55pm
Very nice - I always think my next mando would be an "upgrade" (whatever that is). This makes me realize less can be more. There sure are some nice looking mandos under a grand. Hats off to Bill Davis and the rest.

Jonathan James
Feb-27-2005, 8:19pm
Not to be too blatant, but I've got one of these up for sale in the classifieds...

Mandobar
Feb-27-2005, 10:17pm
boy, scott, that sure is purty.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mtnrose
Feb-27-2005, 11:18pm
Very very nice Scott. I think you just caused another flare up of MAS (not mine of course ;-).

How would you compare the sound of walnut to mahogany or maple?

PhilGE
Feb-27-2005, 11:25pm
Ah, less is more sometimes... aw, nuts. Makes me want one more. It's the other end of the scale from the super sweet Smart recently posted - that's out of range for most. But this...

So, Scott, when will you post a sound clip of yours?

-Phil (somebody hide my wallet)

pickinNgrinnin
Feb-28-2005, 12:22am
I've had a chance to play a few of these Davis flat tops at Mass Street Music. Great tone, volume and flawless workmanship. His attention to detail is other worldly. I have one of his F Mandos and of course, I'm a big fan of his work. He's a builder that deserves a brighter spotlight. Bill needs a new website as the pictures there don't come close to showing how nice his work is. These flat tops are the real deal.

sgarrity
Feb-28-2005, 12:57am
I'm sure people are tired of hearing you and I rave about our Davis F5's but his mandolins really are amazing. #Especially these flat tops for under a grand. #I've been avoiding the Mass St website so I don't get the urge. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Scott Tichenor
Feb-28-2005, 12:17pm
Just taking a peek at these from work. The color correction I did on my laptop Mac looks sort of awful on this PeeCee <sigh>. Interesting thing about these is that no matter what wood he uses or bracing they really sound about the same. Believe I've played every one he's made... maybe 6-7 total and they're very consistent. I have some pretty nice mandolins and normally wouldn't purchase something in this price range but you can't argue good sound. This is my ear--don't pretend to speak for everyone. Be glad to play it over the phone for anyone if they need proof of its big voice.

grandmainger
Feb-28-2005, 12:58pm
Just taking a peek at these from work. The color correction I did on my laptop Mac looks sort of awful on this PeeCee <sigh>.
Scott,
Assuming you're using Photoshop, you can preview the image by faking the bad gamma correction of PCs in the preview window of the Mac.

When you're done editing your file, select "Save for Web..." and select one of the tabs that displays the optimised photo (either Optimized, 2-Up or 4-Up). At the top right corner of the preview area (or just top left of the Save button), you will see a small arrow button. In there you can select the gamma correction of either Mac or PC as your preview.

HTH

Germain

Jim Garber
Mar-01-2005, 11:43am
I don't know why, but I really like the look of the vertical soundhole on these. Peter Mix had a white Q95 with a vertical soundhole which also looked cool. Sounded pretty good too.

Jim

Tom C
Mar-01-2005, 2:03pm
What kind of music do you play on it?

http://www.grandmainger.com/avatars/damnpc.gif

Jim Garber
Mar-01-2005, 2:13pm
One detail left out is that this is recommended for light gauge strings. Amazing sound for light gauge IMHO.
Are you using J62s on it or other lights?

Jim