PDA

View Full Version : New KM1000 and KM1500

yankees1
Jan-21-2014, 4:38pm
From what I have read these are comparable to Northfield in quality and sound but I was wondering if the Kentucky has any finish problems such as clouding like the Northfields ? Also, why does Kentucky and many other Asian builders use such a dark sunburst/vignette around the edges ? Just wondering !

Tobin
Jan-21-2014, 4:50pm
I've got no dog in this hunt, but I don't see Kentucky and Northfield being anywhere close to the same in quality and sound. Every Kentucky I've played (including both the models you mentioned) were blown away by the Northfields I've played. They just didn't have much in the way of tone, and the quality was pretty rough on the Kentucky models. The Northfields, on the other hand, looked amazing and had fairly good tone and volume.

FLATROCK HILL
Jan-21-2014, 5:00pm
I like Kentucky mandolins. I think they build a great product for the money. I've had some dealing (not a lot) with the people at Saga. They were very helpful and polite. In short, I have nothing bad to say about Kentucky mandolins.

Having said that, I don't agree that Kentucky and Northfield are "comparable in quality and sound". In my opinion, the small team of builders that produce the Northfield mandolin deliver a superior product. From what I've personally seen, the woods used, the fit and finish of the Northfield is a higher quality. And while the people I talked to at Saga were helpful and polite, the folks at Northfield absolutely go out of their way in the area of customer satisfaction and assistance. It is a smaller company and they have a very personal approach to doing business.
My Northfield (varnish finish) is two years old. It does scratch easier than a nitro finish, but so far it has had no issues with clouding.

As far as 'sound' goes, that's a pretty subjective area there. Try what you can before pulling the trigger.

Capt. E
Jan-21-2014, 5:05pm
I've got no dog in this hunt, but I don't see Kentucky and Northfield being anywhere close to the same in quality and sound. Every Kentucky I've played (including both the models you mentioned) were blown away by the Northfields I've played. They just didn't have much in the way of tone, and the quality was pretty rough on the Kentucky models. The Northfields, on the other hand, looked amazing and had fairly good tone and volume.

Ditto

yankees1
Jan-21-2014, 5:38pm
I did own a Northfield but after three months it looked distressed with cloudiness, etc. Sound was very good though ! I think I read where Adrian was working on a new finish that may alleviate this cloudiness problem.I think the french polish procedure was the problem. My Northfield had major finish problems but once this problem is resolved I may jump back in. However, I have heard/read only very good reports on the KM1500 also !

almeriastrings
Jan-21-2014, 5:48pm
From what I have read these are comparable to Northfield in quality and sound but I was wondering if the Kentucky has any finish problems such as clouding like the Northfields ?

1. I do not actually think they are close at all. I say that owning two KM-1000's and one Northfield. I've also played a few KM-1500's. The KM's are superb value - but not remotely close to the Northfield's sound-wise. There really is a substantial difference. The whole 'tonal palate' is completely dissimilar. The KM-1000's and 1500's are fine mandolins, but the Northfield (Master Models, at any rate) are on an entirely different level. You can directly compare them to many mandolins in the $7-$10K range.

2. Some people have had finish problems - but others have had zero problems. I have had no problem at all. Finish on mine is holding up extremely well.

The quality on both KM-1000's I have here is really, really good, by the way. Very far from "rough" in any respect. Very good fit/finish indeed. Superb materials used.