PDA

View Full Version : Newest work from Martin Brunkalla. F-5

Mando-ish
Jan-15-2014, 5:53pm
Hi Everyone,

Here is Marty Brunkalla's newest F-5 mandolin. I received it back in mid May of 13'. Great mando. I'll let you all know when I get a video up on youtube for a sound tasting. Id say don't hold your breath considering how long it took me to get photos up here! I'm still testing out different strings. Ive always used J-75's but recently gave the thomastic heavy's a try.
Not sure what proper etiquette is for picture quantity, so please be kind! :grin:

Alex

http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/Hoyts1/slideshow/New%20Brunk%20F-5

Mando-ish
Jan-16-2014, 12:21am

Denman John
Jan-16-2014, 1:12am
Very nice looking mandolin you have there. I haven't heard of Martin Brunkalla, but I will remember him now!

What tuners do you have on it? Love the neck ~ looks like a real player's mandolin.

Thanks for sharing
John

Mando-ish
Jan-17-2014, 1:34am
Hey John.
Thanks for the kind words. The tuners are an older set of waverlys I got from a builder/repairman who never used them. New old stock I guess. I'll get the video up this week. I'm curious on the feedback of its tone.
Take care!

Alex

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Jan-17-2014, 9:19am
Looks really great to me! How does it sound? It looks like a shop-worn or distressed look....you said it was new right?

Skip Kelley
Jan-17-2014, 10:06am
Alex, that is a fine looking mandolin! Congratulations!

Mandomax
Jan-17-2014, 10:15am
Alex, didn't you also have one of his earlier mandolins? How does this one compare? Nice looking mando, but his prices are STEEP, especially when compared with folks like Heiden and Ellis. don't mean to sound negative- killer looking, hope you are digging it!

Jim Garber
Jan-17-2014, 10:54am
I remember Brunkalla was the flavor of the month maybe 10 years ago here. I assume he was concentrating on violins more since then. What kind of tailpiece it that? It looks like serious workmanship but I would guess he does better in the violin world where a respected maker can make lots more money per instrument.

Mando-ish
Jan-20-2014, 1:01am
Hi Eric. Mandolin is sounding great and opening up wonderfully! Its not shop-worn or distressed... the poor mandolin just has a sloppy owner who doesn't put it down. 8 months old or so.

Mando-ish
Jan-20-2014, 1:10am
Hi Mandomax. I did have one of his earlier ones.. This one has a very similar voice to it. Id say maybe a little more power in the high end and more clarity up the neck. What I've been saying to most people who ask is, my old one sounded better "to me" at the time I sold it, but this one is starting out better "to me" than the original one did. So with some playing time and break in, it will right up there! wow that was a confusing description on my part!

Jim..To answer your question. It is a tailpiece made by Ken Oden. In an attempt to undo he mistake of selling my old brunkalla, I wanted everything to be as close as possible to recreate. Including the older waverlys, tailpiece, fret size, woods etc... Very tricky task getting that Oden!!

Pete Counter
Jan-20-2014, 1:21am
I thought he was a fiddle maker!

Mando-ish
Jan-21-2014, 3:21pm
hey pickinpete.. He has a pretty broad repertoire of instruments he builds. He does do a lot with violin, 4 and 5 string, violas as well as the mandolin family. He developed a theory for guitar building that he calls freedom top and recently applied it to an acoustic bass. Pretty amazing but I wont get into explaining it because I have no idea how to! haha