PDA

View Full Version : Those with TC OM-How they holding up?

tkdboyd
Jan-13-2014, 8:42am
Been back and forth looking into an Octave Mandolin for a while. Would like to get a Weber but 2 1/2 year old daughter is getting the better of my income, so it looks like a TC OM or Gold Tone. Seems like I had read where some people had issues of the top sinking on those models, if you have (had) a TC or a Gold Tone, how they holding up for you?

Thanks in advance!

JEStanek
Jan-13-2014, 9:54am
I've had mine for almost 10 years. It doesn't have tons of play time on it but it has been strung up to pitch the whole time. No issues. I never felt it was particularly lightly constructed. It has a nice voice and is an inexpensive way to get into the OM. This is the first time I can recall of a report that they had collapsing tops.

Jamie

jmp
Jan-13-2014, 2:29pm
I bought mine two and a half years ago and it was used when I got it. I play it hard, travel with it, and keep strings at tension the whole time. No issues with top, neck, or anything else. Holding up well but ready for next MA.

Steve L
Jan-13-2014, 3:19pm
I've had a TC bouzouki for quite a while. There's a bit of "deflection" in the top, but it's been stable for years. I've noticed a lot of OM players string up with the heaviest gauges they can handle, which may not be such a good idea with inexpensive flat tops.

tkdboyd
Jan-13-2014, 4:08pm
Thanks to you all!

acousticphd
Jan-14-2014, 2:10pm
It is the Gold Tones that, for whatever reasons, experienced falling tops, despite seeming to be designed almost exactly like the TC (Saga Instr). Dozens and dozens of these defective-top Gold Tones turned up on ebay, and occasionally still do.

jmp
Jan-14-2014, 5:52pm
I went back and measured the deflection of the top, and if there is any, it is less than 1/32 of an inch. I am using J80's.

Barry Wilson
Jan-14-2014, 7:13pm
I love the gold tone, I dunno. The pick up in mine needs to be replaced but acoustically it is warm and holds it's tune very well. John Pearse strings that are wound aside from the E. Time will tell if the top sinks but for what I paid for it, it does the job. Some day I want to get a shorter scale to try but the dentist is taking all my money at present hehe

jzings
Jan-15-2014, 6:32pm
I have two TC octaves, for about three years, one in low humidity winter Wisconsin and one in tropical high humidity Honduras. Neither one has any problem. Both tops are in perfect shape......They are a good way to get introduced to the OM. I have upgraded to a Joe Mendel and a Josh Humphrey that have better sound but I still play the TC's. They are great for knocking around

Freddyfingers
Jan-21-2014, 6:18pm
I was looking into these as well. Have yet to find one t actually touch. Good replies here