PDA

View Full Version : Collings MT Experiences?

McSoappy
Jan-13-2014, 12:27am
Okay so I'm still on my mandolin hunt. I started a thread here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?102123-Noob-Here-Looking-For-A-Nice-Mandolin

I indicated that I was in search of the F style and have been doing my research on some of the more affordable F style mandolins (Ratliff (used), Bovier, Breedlove etc). I'm quickly coming to the understanding (as I was told in my first thread) that the quality ones are really expensive. So I've been looking at A styles and found a Collings MT gloss top for under 2k. I'm actually familiar with Collings as I've got a D2H. I guess my question is will I find anything even remotely close to the quality of the Collings MT in a middle of the road F style mandolin?

Any specific experiences with the MT's would be nice to hear as well!

Thanks,
David

DataNick
Jan-13-2014, 12:33am
If you mean for example would a JBovier be as good for you as a Collings MT; not to sound like a broken record, but they are all really different, even within brands/models. You have to play them individually. That being said, I've played several Collings MT mandos: nice, good sounding, well made instruments; was considering one from a friend a little while ago. I wouldn't mind having one in my stable...

JeffD
Jan-13-2014, 12:49am
As a rule of thumb: F styles cost more than A styles of comparable quality.

So, to answer your question, no. An F style that is of a comparable quality to the Collings MT will likely cost more than the Collings MT.

Josh Levine
Jan-13-2014, 12:56am
Collings are known for consistency in sound, build quality, fit and finish. My Gibson F9 cost less than my Collings MT. They are both great mandos, but have totally different sounds. The fit and finish is finer on the the Collings.

DataNick
Jan-13-2014, 1:11am
The OP asked:

...I indicated that I was in search of the F style and have been doing my research on some of the more affordable F style mandolins (Ratliff (used), Bovier, Breedlove etc). I'm quickly coming to the understanding (as I was told in my first thread) that the quality ones are really expensive. So I've been looking at A styles and found a Collings MT gloss top for under 2k. I'm actually familiar with Collings as I've got a D2H. I guess my question is will I find anything even remotely close to the quality of the Collings MT in a middle of the road F style mandolin?

It seems that his reference point for a "middle of the road F style mandolin" is what he listed (Ratliff, Bovier, Breedlove). If that is the case, then I believe that a JBovier could be as "good" as a Collings MT depending on the mandos involved and your tonal palate. I believe my JBovier is as good (tonal quality wise) as the Collings MTs that I have played, just different.

dang
Jan-13-2014, 3:18am
So I've been looking at A styles and found a Collings MT gloss top for under 2k. I'm actually familiar with Collings as I've got a D2H. I guess my question is will I find anything even remotely close to the quality of the Collings MT in a middle of the road F style mandolin?

Any specific experiences with the MT's would be nice to hear as well!

I have a Collings MT GT (gloss top) that is simply an amazing sounding instrument. It has what many describe as a more modern sound, not as "woody" as an A9 mentioned in your other thread (which I have also owned and thought it had amazing tone - but had a very narrow fretboard for me). Generally neither of these instruments should leave you disappointed.

Personally I would hesitate to spend under $2k on an F-style unless I have played it and was impressed with that particular instrument. I would have much more confidence in either of the aforementioned Collings MT GT or Gibson A9 if I had to order it over the internet with a short trial window. All builders have some variability in the sound of a particular model, but these 2 lines are very consistent in my experience.

So you MIGHT be content with a Kentucky or Eastman or Breedlove or _____ F-style if you happen to live in a location where you can try one out in a store and you find a "good one." If you expand your budget to $2k-3k I would be more confident you could find an F-style you would be content with... BUT if you are new to mandolin playing (even with lots of guitar experience) I would never recommend spending that much on a first instrument.

Stamper
Jan-13-2014, 5:50am
I think if you're playing a D2H then you know precisely what the Collings is and represents -- a certain kind of artful solidity, tonal signature, and commitment to the given instrument per se. I've noticed this, however varyingly, in my Collings guitar, mandolin, and ukes. I love my Collings MT20, especially as its seasoned and opened up, and while they're all a bit not the same, I dig every mandolin of theirs I've played, and I just don't see how you can go wrong with one. Also, there is the resale factor (a used MT is a prized thing) so the financial risk if you decide the mandolin is not for you seems fairly slight. I don't have an f model mandolin, not that I'm against them, and I certainly think they're pretty, but for me I've felt during the various opportunities I've encountered that that plainer fashioned A suits my mandolin resource dollars best. I mean this only to be helpful and wish you good luck as you narrow your search --

AZStu
Jan-13-2014, 12:22pm
Choosing to upgrade from my starter mandolin, I went to a store that had new Webers, Breedloves and Loars, in addition to Collins. I played about 6 new ones in my price range and ended up buying a used Collins MT that had just been traded in the day before. It just sounded better than the new ones. I hadn't expected that. (By the way, all the new instruments were set up well too.) I have been very satisfied with mine.

Shanachie
Jan-13-2014, 12:37pm
I have a Lafferty F style. It was about as much as a MT but I preferred it in sound and looks. Can't go wring with a Collins though.

bayAreaDude
Jan-13-2014, 12:59pm
Of course it's subjective, but I don't think you'd find any F style comparable in price to an MT that sounds as good for the price. In fact, I'd be surprised if you could find any mandolin not custom built that sounds as good.

SincereCorgi
Jan-13-2014, 1:36pm
I've had my MT for three or four years and I'm still really happy with it. You'd probably have to step up to the $6000 range to get a noticeably better mandolin. Viva the boys of Austin.

DataNick
Jan-13-2014, 2:00pm
Of course it's subjective, but I don't think you'd find any F style comparable in price to an MT that sounds as good for the price. In fact, I'd be surprised if you could find any mandolin not custom built that sounds as good.

You're right, your observation is subjective. You would be amazed at what you can find out there in terms of the mandolin and the circumstances involved in it being sold.

I played an F model Kentucky at the Great 48 Jam this past weekend that was not the high end model, but one that could be had used for less than $1k. It was simply amazing in its tone, projection, bark, etc.
It sounded almost as good as some high end Gibson MMs that were being played in the same jam. I gave it a test drive myself, and it was simply the best Kentucky I've played.

You just have to be patient and continually look.

JeffD
Jan-13-2014, 2:10pm

This is my albeit limited experience. every single MT I have played, at a store or borrowed, has been consistently wonderful. To point to a brand or model F style I haven't tried and say its going to be comparable - well there might be individual exceptions, but as a general statement I think the above is correct.

The quest for the individual amazing exception is not at all a futile one. They are out there. And many of us live to find them. But one cannot use the hit or miss exception to answer your question in a helpful way.

DataNick
Jan-13-2014, 2:18pm
This is my albeit limited experience. every single MT I have played, at a store or borrowed, has been consistently wonderful. To point to a brand or model F style I haven't tried and say its going to be comparable - well there might be individual exceptions, but as a general statement I think the above is correct.

The quest for the individual amazing exception is not at all a futile one. They are out there. And many of us live to find them. But one cannot use the hit or miss exception to answer your question in a helpful way.

As J Walter Weatherman pointed out his F9 was less expensive than his Collings, and F9s can be consistently had for <$2k.

I think in terms of quality(sound) it's a wash between them. If the OP defined whether or not "quality" means fit/finish, voicing or both, it would help in clarifying our responses. For me I would take an F9 in a heartbeat over a Collings MT solely on the voicing properties difference (at least in the ones I've played). So yes, a hit and miss exception could be tiresome, but if we're talking strictly sound quality, then I believe a Gibson F9 is a perfect example of an F model that meets his parameters.

jasona
Jan-13-2014, 2:52pm
They not only sound great but they play great too! They seem a perfect fit for my hand's anatomy at least.

pheffernan
Jan-14-2014, 9:34pm
I started a thread this past summer that might prove useful to you: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?96690-Collings-MT-Alternatives. I remember site owner Scott Tichenor at the time linking it on the main page and advocating the MT as the best option at its price point. My experience has been that it is the most precisely built instrument I have ever owned (despite the fact that I'm its third owner). We all have our preferences in terms of tone, but it strikes me as having a very crisp and modern voice. And regardless of tonal preferences, it would be hard to argue that the MT is not ergonomically well designed and eminently playable (only a Rigel I tried has rivaled it). It is the benchmark against which I will measure all other A5 mandolins.

JeffD
Jan-15-2014, 10:12am
As J Walter Weatherman pointed out his F9 was less expensive than his Collings, and F9s can be consistently had for <$2k.

I think in terms of quality(sound) it's a wash between them. .

Hmmm. Really? I like the F9s, but I wouldn't say that.

Well at some point it is a taste thing probably.

Relio
Jan-16-2014, 9:29am
I purchased my first ever mandolin two weeks ago, an MT. In the price range, I don't think you can do much better. I tried a good number of Weber, Ratliff, Eastman, Kentucky, Rigel, and a few others in the price rance. Nothing was better. I did find a nice sounding Weber Yellowstone A, but I still preferred the MT. I haven't found a Eastman or Kentucky that I liked as much as any good American made A. If I were you, I'd either get an MT or a Gibson A9. However, if you go with an A9 I'd want to play it first or if purchased online make sure the seller offers a trial period. I've heard the A9s can be inconsistent. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about an MT. I also own a Collings D1A guitar and the MT is built with the same level of quality. It's truly a wonderful instrument.

DataNick
Jan-16-2014, 2:34pm
The Collings MT as I've noted is a well made, nice instrument, and I wouldn't mind having one of my own. The OP however wants an F model in the "MT range" of quality/price...which I believe the consensus is can be had, but will take some patient digging...

Jerry Hutchison
Jan-16-2014, 3:18pm
I was at Elderly in August looking at their selection. The guy helping me had a MT, but he was wanting to change to a Northfield. He said he liked the tone and playability better. I did end up getting a Northfield and I love it.

Relio
Jan-16-2014, 4:06pm
Some I know was recently in your position. They wanted an F model, but only had a budget for a mid-range brand F. After playing a few quality brand A models they've changed their mind and realized they'd prefer tone, volume, and playability over looks.

jasona
Jan-16-2014, 11:48pm
I was at Elderly in August looking at their selection. The guy helping me had a MT, but he was wanting to change to a Northfield. He said he liked the tone and playability better. I did end up getting a Northfield and I love it.
Welcome to the Cafe Jerry!

Josh Levine
Jan-19-2014, 3:09pm
Hmmm. Really? I like the F9s, but I wouldn't say that.

Well at some point it is a taste thing probably.

I was actually thinking of selling my MT and keeping my F9. They definitely have different sounds. The F9 has the throaty Gibson bluegrass tone. I figure it is the cheapest I will ever get an opportunity to own a Gibson Master Model. The fit and finish are definitely better on the Collings, but I am not sure I like the Collings tone quite as much. Regardless, I took out my Collings to play a little before I committed to sell it... playing it did not encourage me to put it up for sale.

tburcham
Jan-19-2014, 3:48pm
I presently play a Gibson F-9 Custom that I truly love, but I was blessed to be caretaker of a wonderful MT2v during the height of my MAS. They do have a more modern tone, but it is a great tone! That particular MT2v would stand toe to toe with the most obnoxious banjo! I agree there are F-9s that can be had for that price range, but I believe there is more variability in those than the Collings product. I've played good Gibsons and great Gibsons. Every Harvey built Gibson and Collings MT I've played have been exceptional.