PDA

View Full Version : Gibson A Style What Strings Are Best?

lflngpicker
Jan-12-2014, 8:11pm
Hi, I have a wonderful, old Gibson A Style from about 1909, in 7.5/10 very playable condition. It has the loop end strings. I have been using it, along with my guitar, in church each week. What is a good brand string with loop ends that will fit this type and will not break (as I have read reviews at string sellers online that say folks break the high strings during installation)? I do play it into a mic and through an acoustic amp. Thanks! :mandosmiley:

Dave Hanson
Jan-13-2014, 3:47am
D.Addario J74s

Dave H

pfox14
Jan-13-2014, 7:51am
Can we see pix of the mandolin?

JeffD
Jan-13-2014, 9:38am
If the mandolin is in good shape I don't see any reason J74 wouldn't be a great choice.

fatt-dad
Jan-13-2014, 9:47am
I'd agree that J-74/EXP-74s are a reasonable default. I think the light-gauge strings are just too puny. I've tried silk & ___ strings on my 1920 A3 (which I've owned for almost 30 years), but they didn't last long. I am now stuck on the T-I heavies (154ST) and love them. They're expensive though and you may not like them. FW-74s will give you some idea of flatwound strings though and they are reasonably priced.

f-d

lflngpicker
Jan-13-2014, 7:40pm
Wow, I sure appreciate the help with this. I think the strings I am playing are original! Hard to believe, but the instrument wasn't played much until around 1982 when we were given it by my wife's grandfather. Since, I and my three sons have all played some on it. Now, I am getting back at it and using it, as I said, for some of our acoustic songs during church where I typically play guitar. I think your suggestion of the D'addario J74 will brighten up the sound, which is already wonderful! The scratches and all, here is the mando:112537

112539 112540

Ian Rossiter
Jan-13-2014, 7:48pm
Beautiful!! Enjoy making music with that.

lflngpicker
Jan-13-2014, 8:11pm
I ordered my strings and I look forward to putting them on. Let me know if I should watch for any signs of this old instrument not handling the stress. It does have a hairline crack in the headstock, but it isn't going anywhere. I thought I would replace a string at a time and therefore maintain the tension on the neck at somewhat a constant, if that makes sense. It does to me as a guitar player, but you guys play more mandolin than I. The original tuners are not slipping much during performance. I true it up a bit every third song or so with a clip-on headstock tuner.

brunello97
Jan-13-2014, 10:01pm
I was talking to John Bernunzio the other day and he said he was using the Dogal Calace RW92 Medio on his '20s Gibson A and that they rocked. I've been using the lighter Dogal Dolce strings on my bowlbacks and canted top mandolins and love them. Never thought about using them on a Gibson. The aren't cheap but I love the sound (and they last forever.) Going to try them next change out on the A.

Mick

EdHanrahan
Jan-14-2014, 12:56am
... replace a string at a time and therefore maintain the tension on the neck ...

Yeah but... More importantly at this point, it also maintains tension on the floating bridge, keeping it in place. We should all know how to set the bridge for proper intonation, but you'll ease into that eventually.

Frets.com has lots of info on maintaining instruments. Do note that the logic of archtop guitars is the same as for most mandolins - they both have bridges held in place by string tension only.

Nice mandolin! And yes, most of us started on guitar.