PDA

View Full Version : Bouzouki Strings

Sweetpea44
Jan-12-2014, 9:52am
I purchased a used Petersen bouzouki (25.4" scale) from a fellow cafe member a little bit ago. It was strung up in union pairs. It's time to change the strings, and was curious about trying octave pairs (G/D strings). I saw that GHS sells prepackaged sets for Irish Bouzouki .... medium and light. Has anyone used these? I switch between the GDAD/GDAE tunings.

Also, has anyone used the D'Addario J81 Irish Bouzouki strings in union pairs? Thanks!

zoukboy
Jan-12-2014, 7:21pm
That GHS set has these gauges:

.011/.011
.016/.016
.011/.026
.016/.038

The D'Addario J81 set is:

.011/.011
.016/.016
.028/.028
.040/.040

Just my 2 cents worth, but those .011s are too light for bouzouki tuning (if you are tuning to GDAE then they are fine). If you are tuning GDAD (and you really, really should be ;) ), then I would trade the .011s out for .012s.

If the Petersen is not set up for octave bass pairs you will almost certainly have intonation problems on those pairs as you go up the neck.

Also, it's worth using one of the online string tension calculators when trying out new string gauges.

http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/

(I prefer the second one because it allows you to choose between phosphor bronze or nickel wound strings).

For instance, what are the gauges that were on the instrument when you got it? You can enter those gauges into one of those calculators and see what tension you are starting with and then make better informed choices. Because Irish bouzoukis vary so widely in scale length and construction it sometimes takes a little tweaking of string gauges to maximize the instrument's potential. I buy single strings and make up my own sets for all my bouzoukis and mandoid instruments.

Sweetpea44
Jan-17-2014, 5:00pm
Thanks (sorry for the late reply). Is there a way I can tell if my instrument is set up to handle octave pairs? Right now, the intonation is great. Also, if the G/D strings were to be changed to octave sets, which string goes 'on top' (from a right handed perspective). For example, is the higher 'first' like a 12 string guitar?

Tom Haywood
Jan-17-2014, 5:56pm
I have the J81 strings on my Irish bouzouki and like them a lot. Haven't tried anything else on it yet. It is a "flat top", not carved. I use a number of different tunings. The .011 strings feel good and sound good in all the tunings, but one did break at the tuner post after about 4 months. I haven't replaced it yet, and the single string actually works great in solo breaks. I designed this bouzouki for this set and a little heavier gauge. I have a J97 set for my Greek bouzoukis and may try them on the Irish. They are a lot lighter. If the bouzouki is set up for unison strings, then you will have slots for each of those courses in the nut and saddle that are of equal width and compensation. You may get some buzzing or rattling from putting an .011 and a .016 in those slots, in addition to the intonation issues. Try the octaves and if you like them get the slots worked on.

zoukboy
Jan-22-2014, 1:39pm
Thanks (sorry for the late reply). Is there a way I can tell if my instrument is set up to handle octave pairs? Right now, the intonation is great. Also, if the G/D strings were to be changed to octave sets, which string goes 'on top' (from a right handed perspective). For example, is the higher 'first' like a 12 string guitar?

If it is set up for octave pairs (it probably isn't) then the bridge will be compensated differently, that is, the low octave string in a pair have its portion of the saddle cut back further than the higher octave string in that same pair. Like this:

If it is set up for unisons then each pair will have the same amount of compensation.

As far as which string to have "on top" - that is a matter of some debate. I prefer the lowest pitch string "on top" (so that it is the first string contacted by the pick on a downstroke). Other people prefer the higher string on top, like most 12 string guitars. With the lower one on top you hear a little more of the fundamental on accented notes. With the higher on top you get less. Horses for courses!