PDA

View Full Version : My First Inlay

Jim Hilburn
Jan-12-2014, 9:50am
I ran into Dave Pines at an Ophelia Swing Band show at the Gold Hill Inn a couple of years ago. I hadn't seen him in 35 years and he looked exactly the same.
I had sold him my old Gibson A which I had bought from an old man in Boulder. It was a plain A, not an A jr but had no inlay on the peghead. (Jim Garber, help me out.) I know now it was a travesty but I knew then I wanted to get into luthiery and decided to inlay it.
I borrowed the saw and got the pearl from my friend Bill McVey. I don't remember how I routed it, probably also borrowed the Dremel.
So this is the very first attempt at inlay I ever did and I think it would have been in about 1974. It's right off the saw. I didn't have any needle files.
I thought at the time the back and neck had been refinished. It was an awful olive drag green. So I also stripped it and bought a bottle of violin varnish from Vitali's called "brown" but it was orange. Dave got the case elsewhere. I had made a monkey coffin case for it.

trevor
Jan-13-2014, 4:11am
Hi Jim, plain As don't have any headstock inlay. That's a great job for your first inlay, I recently considered taking up inlaying but decided I didn't have the patience after talking to Larry Robinson and Grit Laskin.

Jim Garber
Jan-13-2014, 10:35am
Trevor beat me to it...

Jim Hilburn
Jan-13-2014, 10:53am
Any way to date it based on the tuners? I'll see if I can get Dave to get the serial #. By the way, he kept this in pretty much the exact condition as when I sold it to him 37 years ago.