PDA

View Full Version : When did The Loar upgrade their 600 and 700 series?

KirkDC
Jan-11-2014, 9:47am
I'm considering buying a used The Loar 600 or 700 series as a second mandolin. I've read in the forum that there was a period where the finishing details were not as good as they are now. What build dates are more likely to result in a better instrument? Many thanks for your advice.

Folkmusician.com
Jan-11-2014, 12:45pm
I wouldn't worry too much about the year, but in general these are getting progressively better. The necks have slimmed down over the last couple of years as well.

Paul Hird
Jan-12-2014, 10:24am
Hey KirkDC,

FWIW, when I called the support number on thier web-site regarding a serial number, I asked them when they started manufacturing with solid, hand carved wood, he said that happened in 2009. I have the LM 500 VS and really like it so far.

KirkDC
Jan-12-2014, 2:20pm
Thanks Paul!

Paul Hostetter
Jan-12-2014, 9:40pm
Robert gave the best and most appropriate advice. Ironically, the 500 series really did go though a major change. The model was originally made in a contract factory in Guangzhou or Shenzen—pressed top, poly finish, mild to muffled sound—before Music Link opened up their own shop in Shanghai. They reintroduced the model made in Shanghai still as a 500, and those are really decent instruments, but there was still a lot of unsold stock from the earlier run on the market, so things got confused. The label should sort it out: it should say Shanghai, and it should have the suffix -VS after the model number.

DataNick
Jan-12-2014, 10:02pm
I wouldn't worry too much about the year, but in general these are getting progressively better. The necks have slimmed down over the last couple of years as well.

Robert,

Do the necks have a V-profile to them now?

I have played some older ones that had that "baseball bat" look/feel.

Paul Hostetter
Jan-12-2014, 10:25pm
Latest ones I've played (two weeks ago) were not a V, but just more slim from front to back. There are many players, myself included, who believe bigger necks actually sound a bit better. Plus they're more stable.