PDA

View Full Version : Jazz mando question

Kirby161
Feb-26-2005, 11:37am
Ive been into jazz for a little while and i think i want to buy a mandolin purely for jazz/blues purposes. I dont want to blow such a huge wad on a rigel so I was wondering if electrics were any good for the job.
If so, what kind?

johnwalser
Feb-26-2005, 4:27pm
Michael Lampert seems to think so. You can hear his music on the mp3 page. I have a Schwab (same manufacture as Michael owns) and just love playing it.
John

glauber
Feb-26-2005, 5:29pm
[insert my usual plug for Ovation here] http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

johnwalser
Feb-26-2005, 6:50pm
I owned Ted's old Ovation MM68 a few years ago and while it was very nice, it is not even close to the sound I can get out of my 4 string Schwab. It really is like apples and oranges. e-mail me and I'll send you a sound clip I made yesterday playing the Schwab. johnw@inreach.com
John

glauber
Feb-27-2005, 2:32pm
It depends on what you want. The Ovation is good for a more acoustic sound, but going electric all the way is good for other things.

Joel Glassman
Mar-08-2005, 2:23pm
Yes, electrics are good :^)

Lee
Mar-08-2005, 3:54pm
Hey John,
Is that a Lampert model with the shorter scale? Sure is perty.

nobleheart
Mar-09-2005, 4:06am
I just put in my custom order for a solidbody MANNdolin. Great price and Hopefully a great instrument. Either way it is sure to be quite an upgrade from my korean fender.

Ted Eschliman
Mar-09-2005, 6:45am
Bill, we seem to have similar tastes in axes. (Check out Bill's new Blue Q-95 (http://www.rigelmandolin.com/This%20week.html) on the Rigel website!) I just got my 5-string "Manndolin" yesterday from Jonathon Mann.
I'm still getting familiar with it, but I'll have to say my initial impression is quite favorable.
This is in an entirely different league than any import could provide. (I have a Mandobird, which is a toy in comparison.) I was holding out for a 5-string Fender Custom Mandocaster, but Jon sells his craft at about a third of what I could get one of those.
Look for a review on this on the new Jazzmando site soon...
A good review.