PDA

View Full Version : One tough mandolinist!

swampstomper
Jan-08-2014, 1:30am
From an article in today's New York Times on the cold weather:

“You’ve got to be careful when you move a mandolin outside into the freezing air, because it’s a shock and can crack the wood,” said Mike Slusser, known as Mandolin Mike, standing on a frigid Nashville sidewalk and playing Bill Monroe and Jimmie Rodgers tunes for an audience consisting largely of a barely disturbed tip box. “This is the coldest I’ve ever played in"

At least the reporter can spell Mon's name and knows a mandolin is not a uke!

Here's (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/us/extreme-weather-gets-frosty-reception-in-much-of-nation.html?hp) the article.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-08-2014, 2:33am
From Swampy - "At least the reporter can spell Mon's name and knows a mandolin is not a uke!". That's a headliner in itself !.:grin:
To be playing outside in the temps.that the US is having at the moment,the guy must have boiling lead for blood !!! :disbelief:,
Ivan

Bertram Henze
Jan-08-2014, 4:36am
the guy must have boiling lead for blood

H.C. Andersen would have his own explanation

http://laponaenergetiks.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/schwefelhc3b6lzer-024.jpg

avaldes
Jan-08-2014, 8:09am
I recall seeing Yoyo Ma play Cello (with Willy Nelson on guitar) at the Salt Lake Winter Olympics, and again at the 2009 presidential inauguration. Both cases of extreme cold, although the inauguration was in the teens, and we have just had two days where we did not even get into positive temps, so low teens sounds nice right now.

Me, I have battled hand issues for years, and playing in cold is not good.

BTW, in an interview with Yoyo he says he has cheaper cellos for use in the elements. I imagine his beater instrument still costs as much as a Lexus.

AlanN
Jan-08-2014, 8:27am
Wasn't there a story that Yo Yo's performance was lip-synched (cello sinked) at the inaug?

swampstomper
Jan-08-2014, 10:04am
I believe YoYo really played but for sound reasons they used a pre-recording. And I am fairly sure he had his carbon fibre 'cello. If "Mandolin Mike" had a CF instrument he wouldn't need to worry... but then again he needs a good amount of tips to buy one!

albeham
Jan-08-2014, 11:17am
Cool..I mean very cold player.... :)

AL

AlanN
Jan-08-2014, 11:21am
I think I saw that guy one time, in front of the old Gruhn's store. He was playing and singing a Tony Rice number.

mrmando
Jan-08-2014, 11:27am
At least the reporter can spell Mon's name and knows a mandolin is not a uke!

Even Jimmie Rodgers' name was spelled correctly. However, the copy editor deserves some of the credit.

sgarrity
Jan-08-2014, 12:26pm
I've seen him before too. Usually in front of the old Gruhn's store. The dude can play.

allenhopkins
Jan-08-2014, 9:08pm
...The dude can play.

B1V7X-W5ahY]Here he is:

albeham
Jan-09-2014, 8:15am
That was very true song..
AL