PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky logo WITH IMAGE!

RickPick
Jan-07-2014, 6:02pm
Sincere apologies! I see hundreds of folks have gone to my original posting, and now that I have figured out how to load the image (thank you again, Ivan), regular users are deservedly gun-shy! So I'm reposting WITH THE IMAGE so that I can benefit from your good advice (that is, if you are still speaking to me....)

Does this Kentucky logo from a KM250 headstock reveal anything about whether it is a Japanese, Korean, or Chinese instrument? From other information, I'm guessing the mandolin is from between 1995 and 2000, but perhaps someone who recognizes the logo (which is unfamiliar to me) knows better? Thanks

JEStanek
Jan-07-2014, 6:06pm
That doesn't look like any Kentucky logo I've ever seen. To my eye it looks after market. Does it appear to be a decal over the finish or is it in the finish? I do wish you had a larger full headstock photo. Does the mandolin have a label in the body visible throught the ff hole?

Jamie

RickPick
Jan-07-2014, 7:00pm
Sorry, Jamie. The image is all I have -- I don't have the mandolin. There must be a label, as the fella who has it gave me a serial number -- 97900029 -- which is part of why I figure it's about 1995-2000 vintage. But that logo sure looks strange to me, too.

Willie Poole
Jan-07-2014, 7:07pm
Was Kentucky still making mandolins in Japan in 1995? I don`t know for sure but I believe they had moved to China by then...I have never seen a Ky with that logo in the headstock either but like most of us I am sure I haven`t seen every model that they made...

RickPick
Jan-08-2014, 4:22pm
Could have been late Japanese, possibly Korean, and -- if Chinese -- very early. No one seems to have seen this logo, although I'm assured it is a true inlay of the same material as the word "Kentucky" -- not an after-market decal. Odd one....

bluemoonofky
Jan-08-2014, 4:44pm
It's a Japanese knockoff of a Chinese import made in Korea!!!!

Just having fun boys, just having fun!

Good luck on figuring this one out. Quite the mystery!