PDA

View Full Version : Plug for Kowalek

Brent
Feb-26-2005, 11:27am
I just want to put in a recommendation for Don Kowalek and his Mill Creek mandolin kits. About a year ago, I bought one of the very first octave mandolin kits that Don started making. I had a good time putting it together, and Don was always there and very helpful in the process. I finished it and hung it on the wall until I took it to my local luthier for some profesional adjustments (fret level, etc) to get it into top shape so that I could get serious about playing it. As it turned out, the truss rod didn't work due to a design flaw in those first couple of OM kits. I emailed Don about it, and he completely stood behind his product. He said he'd give me a new neck blank etc to replace the one that I built, but I said that I didn't really have time to start over right now, and just wanted my mandolin to be playable. I shipped the OM to him and he built a whole new neck (which is a lot better than the one that I built), installed it, did set up, and got everything perfect. Don is gem. Great kits, great support, great guy, and honest as the day is long. Couldn't give anyone a stronger recommendation.
Brent Graves
Negaunee, MI

Steph
Feb-26-2005, 1:42pm
Brent, I think everybody who has met Don or dealt with him in any way would agree he's a great guy. He's good company well into the night with a bottle of single malt - an experience I'd recommend. With Lance Johnson leaving his North Virgina 4-H job it looks like the upcoming building camps may be the last for a while at least - anyone who is remotely interested in building their first mandolin (or OM)should sign up quickly.
The only thing to be wary of with Don - he tried to sell me some hair restorer once ..... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandocrucian
Feb-26-2005, 2:19pm
Lance Johnson, the program director at the Front Royal, VA 4-H facility has recently relocated to Alaska because his wife landed a "Northern Exposure" type human services job. I wish him well and told him to say hello to Ed Chigliak or Marilyn if he should run into either of them up in Nome (population 2,500 sal-ute!)

It is unlikely that mandolin playing and building workshops will continue at this facility after the ones in April and May are completed, as these were #Lance's programs and there had been less-than-enthusiam expressed by the camp financial administrator who is precoccupied with maximum cashflow. #It's too bad, because it was a great site to have these workshop, and so close geographically to both Don and myself. (Don lives about 5 or 6 miles from me on the other side of the WV/VA state line.)

Don and I will be jointly investigating some possibilities about moving our workshops to another facility or venue, possibly farther south in Virginia.

Whether we will be successful is hard to say, and it wouldn't be until summer that we actually know something. #So, these may be the LAST CHANCE to take these courses at a public facility, and if you've been considering it before, I wouldn't count on doing something in the fall 05 or next year. ESPECIALLY if you've been thinking about doing the RHYTHM MANDO camp, because it may be a year or two or more until I do this one again.

To clarify again, the April 05 and May 05 dates are still ON. Lance's assistant is filling in for the next few months as acting program director. #It's not new to him since he's been working for Lance during previous workshops.

Here's a list of the scheduled #Workshops at the Northern VA 4-H Center, Front Royal, VA: (http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/4h/northern/)

April 3-6, 2005: Beginning Bluegrass/Old-Time Mandolin w/Niles Hokkanen(must have at least 6 months playing exp. )
April 3-6, 2005: Octave Mandolin Making Workshop w/Don Kawalek
May. 8-11, 2005: RHYTHM Mandolin w/Niles Hokkanen (Intermediate level and up)
May. 8-11, 2005: Standard (A-style) Mandolin Making Workshop w/Don Kawalek

Niles Hokkanen

Dave Voyles
Feb-26-2005, 9:30pm
I've done both Don and Niles's workshops in VA. Both were well done and Lance provided outstanding facilities and service. Don is one of the nicest and most talented people I've ever dealt with. Get in on his last workshop if you can. It is too bad the powers that be at the 4H facility can't see the value of these workshops. I hope Don and Niles can find another place to have them.

Luthier
Feb-27-2005, 4:58am
I always have tried to give the folks on Interstate ramps a couple of bucks to help them out. Now its our turn.
Yep....gonna be left out on the ramp holding a sign saying "Looking for a home for workshops"
I am sure something will come up.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Don

otterly2k
Feb-27-2005, 12:24pm
So glad I signed up for the OM building... only sorry that I will miss Niles' mando playing workshops...can't afford to do both April and May! But I AM hoping that there will be some cross-pollenation between the workshops in April...around the edges, jam time, etc.

I'm really glad you guys seem to be dedicated to continuing in some form or another, and hope you are able to find a place to do it. Given the rave reviews you both get, I bet some of your alumni would be interested in helping you make it happen.

KE