PDA

View Full Version : Resource Allocation

pheffernan
Jan-02-2014, 1:39pm
I've been thinking about this topic for some time, but it kind of crystallized around something that dslaboone wrote, or rather his wife said, in a recent thread found here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?101890-Flatiron-vs-Girouard-opinions

PS-for what it's worth, my wife questions my desire for a "slightly-better" instrument. She suggests that I trade in both the Flatiron and the Collings and get a "greatly superior" one. Maybe she's right??

While I don't think there's a universal answer to that question, it does make me think about my inventory and the way in which I've allocated my mandolin dollars. I spent much of 2013 developing an interest in the instrument and wanting to play the various models I read about here on the Cafe. In the process, I amassed an arsenal of flattops, with perhaps a bit of redundancy, and set out to find one quality carved instrument with an oval hole (a Gibson snakehead) and an equivalent with f-holes (a Collings MT). Still, I wonder sometimes, like dslaboone's wife, whether I'd be better off converting the whole budget into a single "greatly superior" one. So, I figured I'd frame the issue as a hypothetical: if your collection of mandolins vaporized and you got a replacement value check from your insurer, how would you spend it? Would you pour it into the best single instrument you could afford? Or would you diversify your portfolio? Knowing what you know now, how would you allocate your mandolin resources?

OldSausage
Jan-02-2014, 1:41pm
I'd just waste it all on hooch and crazy women.

JeffD
Jan-02-2014, 1:50pm

No, you spend it on hooch and crazy women, and waste the rest.

JeffD
Jan-02-2014, 1:52pm
So, I figured, I'd frame the issue as a hypothetical: if your collection of mandolins vaporized and you got a replacement value check from your insurer, how would you spend it? Would you pour it into the best single instrument you could afford? Or would you diversify your portfolio? Knowing what you know now, how would you allocate your mandolin resources?

I would try and replace the types I have, an arch top (vintage if I could), a flat top, a resonator, a bowlback. I like the diversity of sounds and responses.

Shelagh Moore
Jan-02-2014, 1:57pm
Looking at your inventory...

1998 Mid-Missouri M-0
1984 Flatiron 1N
2009 Redline Traveler
2007 Gypsy Vagabond
1924 Gibson A Snakehead
2005 Collings MT

you already have some nice instruments with a range of voices there...

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jan-02-2014, 2:02pm
As you already pointed out, the answer to your question is highly subjective and depends on each person's preferences (obviously). To me, each instrument has its own sound and feel, and it's especially true when you take into account F hole vs Oval Hole, A style vs F style, carved top vs flap top etc. I happen to have a fairly single track mind when it comes to sound (F hole), so for me, I would prefer to get the best instrument I can for all the money I can afford, rather than a collection of different but lesser instruments. That way, I won't have to feel guilty about not playing them enough to justify keeping them.

jaycat
Jan-02-2014, 2:03pm
. . . if your collection of mandolins vaporized and you got a replacement value check from your insurer, how would you spend it? . . .

I would put it into savings in anticipation of the impending increase in premiums.

Tobin
Jan-02-2014, 2:04pm
Still, I wonder sometimes, like dslaboone's wife, whether I'd be better off converting the whole budget into a single "greatly superior" one.
The question behind the question, IMHO, is this: do you consider yourself a collector or a serious player? Obviously, it doesn't mean that a serious player cannot have more than one mandolin, especially if playing different styles of music that call for different styles of instrument. But I think in general, you'll probably find that you gravitate towards one mandolin as your "go-to" favorite over time. It's human nature. And the others end up being neglected or simply not used.

And of course, your skill level will really take off when you spend enough hours on "the one" mandolin you choose. When you know its every secret spot, and how to squeeze tone/volume out of it, it becomes a special relationship. It takes many, many hours (over months/years) with that one mandolin. Obviously, trying to spread your time between different mandolins can detract from this.

So for me it was simple. All I want or need is one mandolin, if I intend to master it. And if I'm going to put all my effort into that one mandolin, it had better be a good 'un.

pheffernan
Jan-02-2014, 2:52pm
So for me it was simple. All I want or need is one mandolin, if I intend to master it. And if I'm going to put all my effort into that one mandolin, it had better be a good 'un.

I was thinking of you and your Ellis when I read about the one "greatly superior" theory. Of course, I don't have a wife with a Pava. :))

David Rambo
Jan-02-2014, 5:20pm
I would try to replace what I have now-a nice arched top,oval hole, a matching oval hole octave mandolin, and an F hole for a more bluegrass sound. I would probably turn to the same person that made 2 of mine for the replacement(s).

Randi Gormley
Jan-03-2014, 11:54am
I think I'd split it up into two or three instruments, a good f-hole A instrument for playing around, possibly a backup (cheaper) probably with an oval hole (much like my rescue bandolim, which has a nice ringing tone going on) and a bowlback for classical.

Bob Clark
Jan-03-2014, 12:13pm
I would try and replace the types I have, an arch top (vintage if I could), a flat top, a resonator, a bowlback. I like the diversity of sounds and responses.

I agree with Jeff. I would add one more instrument though; an OM. I think that gives a good range of voices to select from when playing different types of music. Thus far, I have the arch top, flat top and OM (also an arch) that meet my requirements. I am currently doing a slow, deliberate search for the right bowlback. At this point, each time I add an instrument, I try to make it one that will be a keeper. No need to hurry in any search.

Best wishes,

Bob

Ryk Loske
Jan-03-2014, 12:20pm
If Hans wouldn't make one … i'ld go see Jim Garber and see if i could make him an offer he couldn't refuse for his Brentrup A4C.

Ryk

Timbofood
Jan-03-2014, 12:33pm
I have stayed with one main mandolin for almost all my playing life, sold all the rest. Never figured out how to play more than one at a time and, the "odd tuning" thing has not seemed as essential as it once did. Sold my first Harmony to buy a Kalamazoo KM11, sold that for my Alvarez, bought a fifties A-50, sold that for an A style Stiver, sold that for Christmas money one year.
If I had them all right now, I'd still keep the Alvarez, sell all the rest and know just exactly who I would go share a glass with and discuss what I wanted in my Mandolin of choice, wouldn't even have to go very far....ahh pipe dreams.

AlanN
Jan-03-2014, 12:39pm
C'mon now, fellers. Y'all just blowin' smoke. You know what you'd want - it starts with a G, has a signed label inside with the same first and last name letter, and was made in the Year Of Our Lord 1922-24.

Bob Clark
Jan-03-2014, 12:48pm
C'mon now, fellers. Y'all just blowin' smoke. You know what you'd want - it starts with a G, has a signed label inside with the same first and last name letter, and was made in the Year Of Our Lord 1922-24.

Nope, not me. I'd like to have what that is worth, but for my style of picking, I prefer oval holes to f-holes. Also, the F-style doesn't really do it for me; I prefer high-end 'A's. But that's just me. Different mandolins for different players. Isn't it great we have so many to choose from?!

lorrainehornig
Jan-03-2014, 12:52pm
It would be nice to have the funds for a diverse inventory of mandolins and I envy anyone who has such an arsenal...and it appears you do. As for me, I have two mandolins: I fell head-over-heels in love with my Weber as soon as I heard it. Even though I loved my Colllings and wanted to keep it in the worst way, it just wasn't practical for me to do so, so I sold it. I did invest in an electric mandolin to play around with, but my Weber is my one true love. I don't know that I will ever have another mandolin...maybe if I hit the lottery. I am very happy owning one very good mandolin.

lorrainehornig
Jan-03-2014, 12:53pm
I'd just waste it all on hooch and crazy women.OldSausage, you are one crazy fellow. I can't stop laughing!

fatt-dad
Jan-03-2014, 2:33pm
I think there's a sweet spot at about $3K (unless you need and f-model). I just can't imagine selling all my mandolins just to get a $12 or $15,000.00 mandolin.

So, I wouldn't sell the basic profile that represents my "collection." That means, I'm keeping my redwood/walnut Cohen, my 1920 A3 and my Flatiron pancake ('84 1N). I really want to change out a few of my mandolins though. I want a red spruce/maple A5, which I have. I just want to go with a Virginia builder, so I'll be selling a couple (Muth and Phoenix) to fund another mandolin.

Now if Wayne Henderson actually builds me a snakehead A4, that'd be a keeper for sure!

So, I guess I like having an instrument profile. It's sort of like having your own music shop that only has the stuff you like to play!

f-d

allenhopkins
Jan-03-2014, 2:39pm
What would I do if my "collection of mandolins vaporized"? Well, I'd mourn the loss of so many old friends. And I'd use that insurance check to acquire a somewhat-equivalent collection: good bluegrass F-model, resonator(s), carved-top and flat-top oval-holes, mandola, octave, mandocello, bowl-back(s) for historical programs, Strad-O-Lin "beater," mandolin-banjo, and some oddballs just for fun. Maybe a Turturro "turn-over" ukulele/mandolin, just 'cause I don't have one now. Or a Waldo bowl-back with f-holes.

What I'd never do, is put all the money into one instrument. My whole collection wouldn't fund a Lloyd Loar Gibson F-5, and that's the only kind of mandolin that I'd consider as a one-and-only. Even then, I'd miss the different voices; it couldn't chirp like the Howe-Orme mandolinetto, boom like the Gibson K-1 mandocello, or snarl like the National Triolian. "All God's critters got a place in the choir," as Bill Staines wrote. "Some sing low, and some sing higher."

DataNick
Jan-03-2014, 3:10pm
The question behind the question, IMHO, is this: do you consider yourself a collector or a serious player?...

Not being difficult here but what if you consider yourself both?

Tobin
Jan-03-2014, 4:22pm
Not being difficult here but what if you consider yourself both?
I suppose if money is no object, you can be both. They needn't be mutually exclusive. But within the context of the OP's thought process, it sounded like he was trying to choose between multiple medium-quality instruments or one single "greatly superior" one. So I was merely trying to boil it down to what was more important with the dollar investment he currently has: owning lots of instruments to look at (only being able to play one at a time), or having one instrument to devote all his attention to.

I concede that I'm viewing this through the lens of a recovering collector of firearms. I have an entire gun room full of firearms, which is satisfying in its own way. But I have realized that there's a lot of money sitting there doing nothing but looking pretty. I can only shoot one at a time, and proficiency in shooting (like mandolin playing) suffers when you spread out your efforts on a bunch of different ones. And it's a shame to neglect the others. I'm about to the point where I'm ready to rid myself of the ones I never use, and pare it down to one or two (OK, maybe five) serious shooters that I can dedicate my time to master. Ridding myself of the others would free up the funds for a select few that are "greatly superior". I decided not to make that same mistake with mandolins. Being a collector is great, but until I win the lottery, I'd rather dedicate the funds to a serious player's instrument.

So that's where I was going with it, if it's helpful at all.

Marty Jacobson
Jan-03-2014, 4:54pm
How about this, as one approach you could take:
Nj7GSrry3KA

DataNick
Jan-03-2014, 5:06pm
I suppose if money is no object, you can be both. They needn't be mutually exclusive.... I decided not to make that same mistake with mandolins. Being a collector is great, but until I win the lottery, I'd rather dedicate the funds to a serious player's instrument.

So that's where I was going with it, if it's helpful at all.

I agree with you; unfortunately I'm dead set on a one-way course to go broke but live happily ever after with the mando stable of my choosing...LOL!

J Mangio
Jan-03-2014, 5:30pm
Marty, your new axe is sweet...Thanks for sharing.

mandroid
Jan-03-2014, 5:48pm
1998 Mid-Missouri M-0
1984 Flatiron 1N
2009 Redline Traveler
2007 Gypsy Vagabond
1924 Gibson A Snakehead
2005 Collings MT

cull the flat tops to 1 , and add another voice

mandola , Tenor Guitar , mandocello, or maybe an electric .

pheffernan
Jan-03-2014, 9:28pm
But within the context of the OP's thought process, it sounded like he was trying to choose between multiple medium-quality instruments or one single "greatly superior" one. So I was merely trying to boil it down to what was more important with the dollar investment he currently has: owning lots of instruments to look at (only being able to play one at a time), or having one instrument to devote all his attention to...So that's where I was going with it, if it's helpful at all.

It was very helpful, as I believe you articulated the dilemma better than I did in the original post. So for the dollar investment I currently have, would you like to see me behind the Ellis A5 Deluxe?

http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/mandolins/ellis.html#sthash.Pgl8Ekoe.dpbs

pheffernan
Jan-03-2014, 9:59pm
cull the flat tops to 1 , and add another voice

mandola , Tenor Guitar , mandocello, or maybe an electric .

While I wasn't necessarily fishing for advice, I will confess that I have had similar thoughts. But which flattop? :)

DataNick
Jan-03-2014, 10:51pm
It was very helpful, as I believe you articulated the dilemma better than I did in the original post. So for the dollar investment I currently have, would you like to see me behind the Ellis A5 Deluxe?

http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/mandolins/ellis.html#sthash.Pgl8Ekoe.dpbs

No,

I'd like to me myself behind the Ellis A5 Deluxe...LOL!

pheffernan
Jan-03-2014, 11:27pm
No, I'd like to me myself behind the Ellis A5 Deluxe...LOL!

While I appreciate the humor, I'm curious if you ever think about a significant merger where you fold your four mandolins into one. You've moved out of your Country Boy recently, and while you've been effusive in your praise of the Flatiron Pertormer, you've made no secret of your desire to acquire something with Gibson on the headstock. Do you ever think about going all in on something like this one? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72313

fatt-dad
Jan-03-2014, 11:54pm
While I wasn't necessarily fishing for advice, I will confess that I have had similar thoughts. But which flattop? :)

I can't imagine trumping the 1N. Have you tried it with T-I Mittels? I think with the oval hole snakehead and the f-hole MT the 1N would round out your collection completely. That said, don't seek my advice. I like having a few extra for fun!

f-d

DataNick
Jan-04-2014, 2:49am
While I appreciate the humor, I'm curious if you ever think about a significant merger where you fold your four mandolins into one. You've moved out of your Country Boy recently, and while you've been effusive in your praise of the Flatiron Pertormer, you've made no secret of your desire to acquire something with Gibson on the headstock. Do you ever think about going all in on something like this one? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72313

Good question and I'll try to be as brief as possible. I'm definitely a serious player who also is a collector. Every mando in my stable currently has a place/purpose:

1. The 96 Flatiron Festival A is my "beater". I take it to work every day to play on my lunch hour; it has a pickup, and it's set-up makes it real easy to play. Tone is pretty good, volume is fair; to me it's a perfect "take wherever" mando that wouldn't kill me if I lost it, etc.

2. The 99 "Derrington" Flatiron Performer A has the best tone in my stable, has good volume, is a really good "bluegrass" voiced mando. As I've noted before, Shaun Garrity said he'd buy it in a heartbeat; and it has those real "classic Gibsonesque" bluegrass qualities. Even if I had Shaun's Heiden, my "Derrington" Flat is going nowhere.

3. The 2010 Eastman MD515 has the typical "Eastman" voicing in spades, and is very loud. It makes for a perfect "jam" mando where tone is not really important. It has real nice playability, good bark, nice "pop" on chopping chords. Again, if I had a Heiden or Ellis, I'm not so sure I'd want to cart it to the weekly Bluegrass jam where it's crowded, it could get something spilled on it, get whacked, etc., all of which has happened to my Eastman at one time or another.

4. Then the 2012 J Bovier F5 Studio: It's my stage axe because it's got the tone, bark, pop, etc. and it is extremely loud, playability is great, etc. It's tone is a shade below the 99 Flat, not as "refined" as Steve Sorensen put it, and the highs don't "cut through" like the 99 Flat per Shaun, but it's good enough; I get compliments on it's sound at gigs all the time.

I also play/practice all my mandos faithfully: the 96 Flat every weekday at work, the 99 Flat weekly at band rehearsals and a few other times weekly, the Eastman at the weekly jam and other times like in the mornings, and the JBovier a couple of times a week. I'd play it more, but I'm trying to stave off as much as possible the re-fret it's gonna need soon.

So let's suppose I have the Gibson F9 added to my stable. I would incorporate it into my daily 2-3 hours of practice/play, and it would be my stage axe.

When I go to the "Great 48" Jam next week, I'm taking the JBovier and the 96 Flatiron Festival A; 2 with me, 2 left at home, and if something happened I'd still have an axe I could use on stage waiting for me at home.

The Ratliff Country Boy F5 I had did not have the type of "bluegrass" voicing I prefer, but it is a real nice mando. The cafe member who bought it from me plays a more folk and Irish Trad style and it is perfect for his needs.

Sorry for the long answer, but I hope you now understand my thinking more; and btw: I plan on 3 mando acquisitions this year: Gibson F9, Derrington Flatiron Festival F, and a Bozeman (pre-Gibson) Flatiron Festival/Performer F. I guess going all in on an F5 for example that you asked about would be equivalent to me acquiring the F9. The finish and appointments of an F5 vs F9 aren't important to me, and those "Florida" fingerboard extensions drive me crazy!...LOL!

UsuallyPickin
Jan-04-2014, 7:43am
I will only know the answer to this question when I am faced with that situation.....and I hope I never am .. of course.... as a supposition over a beer .... it could go either way........ The only thing I can say for sure is that I couldn't order a new instrument from a prominent builder.... the waiting period would drive me to distraction.... R/

pheffernan
Jan-04-2014, 9:52am
Have you tried it with T-I Mittels?

I have not, although I was looking at a set and considering that possibility just yesterday. I decided to hold off, though, as I'm awaiting the delivery of some GHS A-250's that a poster who will remain nameless has shilled for mercilessly in the past. ;) I do have my first set of TI's on the Gypsy, however, and I'm a believer.

I can't imagine trumping the 1N.

I don't imagine "trumping," though I have convinced myself that they are somewhat differently voiced despite all being modern domestic flattops. The 1N is certainly the most dynamic and well suited for the Old Time jams that I don't attend. Conversely, the Gypsy is the most resonant and therefore a better fit for the Irish sessions that I don't frequent. The Mid-Missouri is the warmest and thus the best choice for the vocal accompaniments that I don't perform. Finally, the Redline is the bassiest making it the perfect compromise for the bluegrasser on frequent business trips that I don't take. There is a tool for every non-job.

Minorkey
Jan-04-2014, 9:56am
I'd pop the money on a whole raft of different instruments, mandolin, mandocello, lute, harp, chittaron etc. I just love acoustic instruments. They have a life of their own.

pheffernan
Jan-04-2014, 10:27am
Sorry for the long answer, but I hope you now understand my thinking more

I think I do. You have a mandolin for work (Festival), home (Performer), jams (Eastman), and stage (Bovier).

and btw: I plan on 3 mando acquisitions this year: Gibson F9, Derrington Flatiron Festival F, and a Bozeman (pre-Gibson) Flatiron Festival/Performer F.

Will these acquisitions fill three new roles or replace three departures (i.e. the Bozeman F replaces the Festival A at work, the Derrington F takes the place of the Eastman at jams, and the F9 assumes the role of stage axe from the Bovier)?

I guess going all in on an F5 for example that you asked about would be equivalent to me acquiring the F9.

While a fine instrument, the F9 isn't quite what I would consider one "greatly superior" instrument commensurate with your budget of past and planned expenditures. What if you could convert all of them into one Stanley V5? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72302

The finish and appointments of an F5 vs F9 aren't important to me, and those "Florida" fingerboard extensions drive me crazy!...LOL!

While the instruments that we pursue diverge, you and I are in complete agreement here. If you'll notice, every instrument in my inventory is basically the plain Jane stripped down model. I just want to hear how they sound.

DataNick
Jan-04-2014, 11:42am
I think I do. You have a mandolin for work (Festival), home (Performer), jams (Eastman), and stage (Bovier).

Not quite, the Festival is a "beater" that I always take with me everywhere, ready to have a mando to play. Often I take 2 mandos. And I'm taking the JBovier to the "Great 48 Jam", but you're assumption is close.

Will these acquisitions fill three new roles or replace three departures (i.e. the Bozeman F replaces the Festival A at work, the Derrington F takes the place of the Eastman at jams, and the F9 assumes the role of stage axe from the Bovier)?

Not really, F9 and Derrington Flatiron Festival F both for stage axes, the Bozeman Flatiron F for collectible purposes.

While a fine instrument, the F9 isn't quite what I would consider one "greatly superior" instrument commensurate with your budget of past and planned expenditures. What if you could convert all of them into one Stanley V5? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72302

For me the difference between the "IT" sound (Shaun's Heiden) and a real good bluegrass axe sound (my Derrington Flatiron Performer A) is such that I'm not in all that big of a hurry to mortage everything to get it. Once my stable is 3 more deep, I may consider at some point a combo of mandos to acquire such a mando if the timing is right. The problem with combining the Eastman, Festival A and JBovier is that they're really worth more to me in terms of sound/function than they are in ROI $$.

Hope that helps!

Oh & yeeah for those wondering why not the Derrington Flat Perf A for stage; Come On Man, I gotta have that scroll, LOL!

Also wanted to add this equation Derrington Flatiron Festival F = Gibson F5G of the same era.

Steve Zawacki
Jan-04-2014, 4:14pm
Just a thought - can you look at your inventory and say, "no matter what, these two stay?" If you can, then most of your decision has been made, since you really have only semi-interest in the non-selectees. If you can't make that decision, then accept the fact that half the fun is in the collecting and not the playing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as we all have been there with something.

Have never met a woman who said she had too many diamonds and was willing to liquidate them all to get a different one - mandolins are no different if you enjoy collecting and they all bring a smile.

pheffernan
Jan-04-2014, 8:20pm
I really want to change out a few of my mandolins though. I want a red spruce/maple A5, which I have. I just want to go with a Virginia builder, so I'll be selling a couple (Muth and Phoenix) to fund another mandolin.

I know you're an A kind of guy, but how about this Gerald Anderson F5? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72351

fatt-dad
Jan-04-2014, 8:38pm
Yes, I saw that! Look forward to see if the ad includes a photo. That said, I'd not likely pursue its purchase.

I'll wait for my Henderson A4. . .

f-d

JeffD
Jan-05-2014, 1:16am
Still, I wonder sometimes, like dslaboone's wife, whether I'd be better off converting the whole budget into a single "greatly superior" one. So, I figured I'd frame the issue as a hypothetical: if your collection of mandolins vaporized and you got a replacement value check from your insurer, how would you spend it? Would you pour it into the best single instrument you could afford? Or would you diversify your portfolio? Knowing what you know now, how would you allocate your mandolin resources?

I have always bought the best mandolin I could reasonably afford at the time. So the more realistic outcome of your hypothetical is as follows: Spend all the money on the best single mandolin I can find at that price. Start saving up for the next mandolin.

pheffernan
Jan-05-2014, 8:43am
For me the difference between the "IT" sound (Shaun's Heiden) and a real good bluegrass axe sound (my Derrington Flatiron Performer A) is such that I'm not in all that big of a hurry to mortage everything to get it.

This is your most succinct response to the hypothetical yet. The difference between the Performer (which you've graded as an 8.5 to an 8.8 recently) and the "greatly superior" instrument (like the Heiden you reference) is not sufficient at this point to motivate you to go all in on one mandolin.

Once my stable is 3 more deep, I may consider at some point a combo of mandos to acquire such a mando if the timing is right. The problem with combining the Eastman, Festival A and JBovier is that they're really worth more to me in terms of sound/function than they are in ROI $$.

I understand, which is why liquidating any single one of them doesn't do much for you. But move all three, sprinkle in the savings from the Country Boy, top it off with your anticipated 2014 budget, and all of a sudden you're swinging in a different weight class.

Hope that helps!

It helped a lot, Nick. Good luck in your quest.

pheffernan
Jan-05-2014, 8:59am
Just a thought - can you look at your inventory and say, "no matter what, these two stay?" If you can, then most of your decision has been made, since you really have only semi-interest in the non-selectees. If you can't make that decision, then accept the fact that half the fun is in the collecting and not the playing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as we all have been there with something.

I know that I have collecting tendencies extending back to the baseball cards and comic books of my youth. I also know that those tendencies have followed me into adulthood and the world of musical instruments, including the guitars I bought when I was a younger man. In terms of my mandolin inventory, I have not reached the "no matter what" stage, the lifetime achievement award, with any of them. I do have, however, a pair of reigning world champions, and in order to become the champ, you need to beat the champ. Several have tried; none has succeeded. And yes, by touting two champs, I well know the identities of the "non-selectees," fallen heroes of an earlier day.

fatt-dad
Jan-05-2014, 10:36am
re: The selloff.

For me it's not "just" about the sound. There's an element of "story" involved. Some of my instruments have been with me long enough, that there are stories connected to my time with them. I realize that they are "just" possessions, but why cast off those possessions that reflect on your history?

On that basis, I'm keeping my 1920 A3, my 1930 L-1 (guitar), my Flatiron 1N (may give it to my son) and my Cohen. I mean I've only had my Cohen for a year and a-half, but I've known the wacky doctor for 10 years and he built me a favor - I mean it's more than what I paid in value returned. (And where else will I get a redwood/walnut mandolin?).

I'm less "connected" to my Muth and Phoenix, both great mandolins. So, they are the ones that I'll ultimately sell - all in good time. . .

f-d

Ryk Loske
Jan-05-2014, 10:52am
What Fatt-Dad said. It's not just the instruments but the stories. The Rigel I-110 and the whole story with Pete on that and my Moll non-cut 18" 7-string guitar and all the stories involved with that. I think a lot of sellers remorse comes with the loss of the stories.

Ryk

pheffernan
Jan-08-2014, 6:14am
btw: I plan on 3 mando acquisitions this year: Gibson F9, Derrington Flatiron Festival F, and a Bozeman (pre-Gibson) Flatiron Festival/Performer F.

This year has arrived: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72430

DataNick
Jan-08-2014, 11:57am
This year has arrived: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72430

Yeah I talked to Kevin bout that one.

I've got a couple on my radar but my finances won't be ready till May...Thanks!

Eddie Sheehy
Jan-08-2014, 3:29pm
Nick, the MT is gone. Forget an F9 or F5G, you know you want the Sam Bush... j/k

sgarrity
Jan-08-2014, 3:43pm
You've got to find the instrument that speaks to you, that makes you want to pick it up and play. I've been through periods where I had a lot of different instruments and I just didn't play them all. There's nothing wrong with what you currently have if you enjoy them.

DataNick
Jan-08-2014, 4:54pm
You've got to find the instrument that speaks to you, that makes you want to pick it up and play. I've been through periods where I had a lot of different instruments and I just didn't play them all. There's nothing wrong with what you currently have if you enjoy them.

Shaun,

If you're talkin to me, you're right, especially the "Derriington" Flatiron Perf A...but I gots to have at least that sound or greater in an F5 made by Gibson Brotha!.....LOL!

Petrus
Jan-08-2014, 5:05pm
One thought I've had is to arrange one's various instruments around a large empty room on the basis of their voicing and other qualities that one considers important. For instance, arrange them clockwise around the perimeter in order of most bass to most treble, and maybe add an extra dimension for loudness -- say, towards the center of the room for the least loud and around the edge for the most loud. Then look for clusters where you have multiple instruments occupying the same space, versus large gaps. That will show you if you have redundancies in your sound where you might possibly eliminate an instrument or two.

Eddie Sheehy
Jan-08-2014, 5:16pm
Shaun,

If you're talkin to me, you're right, especially the "Derriington" Flatiron Perf A...but I gots to have at least that sound or greater in an F5 made by Gibson Brotha!.....LOL!

How about a nice R.L. Givens F5?

DataNick
Jan-08-2014, 5:22pm
How about a nice R.L. Givens F5?

Naah, but thanks for the thought!

It's a Bluegrass thang! (Gibson F)...you bringin the Sam Bush to The Great 48?

No promises but I wouldn't mind seeing it again...

Eddie Sheehy
Jan-08-2014, 5:36pm
For you, Nick, abbalutely...

sgarrity
Jan-08-2014, 5:44pm
I hear ya Nick. When you find it, it's hard to beat a good Gibson F5. You just gotta dig through them until you find a good one.
If I were you I'd be playing that Flartiron Performer everywhere you went.

The OP has a nice collection of mandolins. There's nothing wrong with a nice Collings and a snakehead. But I do understand the lure of the scroll! ;-)

DataNick
Jan-08-2014, 5:46pm
For you, Nick, abbalutely...

Thanks!

It's gonna be epic! Shaun, Eddie, and The Barrangatan!

bluemoonofky
Jan-08-2014, 7:06pm

"Crazy Women" – by Brandy Clark

Who’d-a guessed that Aquanette
Could start a fire with a single cigarette
She wasn’t drunk, she wasn’t stoned
Just sick and tired of wonderin’ when he was coming home
So she drove around
She found his car
They heard a boom from in the bar
He called the cops
She called his bluff
They hauled her off in high heels and handcuffs

Crazy women, ex-wives and old girlfriends
Keep their crazy hidden till they’re pushed off the deep end
Oh yea, God forgive them, they weren’t born like this
Oh no, crazy women are made by crazy men

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTUQOyiD0KM

pheffernan
Jan-20-2014, 5:36pm
The OP has a nice collection of mandolins. There's nothing wrong with a nice Collings and a snakehead. But I do understand the lure of the scroll! ;-)

It's not so much the lure of the scroll as it is the lure of the Classifieds. My investment to date exceeds the cost of this Ellis A5: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72663. And with a little additional capital I'd be in range of this Gilchrist: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72713.

DataNick
Jan-20-2014, 7:51pm
I think you'd probably be happier with your 24 Snakehead, Collings MT and Redline than having the Ellis A5 instead of everything...
The Mid-Missouri and Flatiron are tres similar, oui?

pheffernan
Jan-20-2014, 8:55pm
The Mid-Missouri and Flatiron are tres similar, oui?

While all of the flattops are similar, the Redline and Flatiron are the most akin as true pancakes. The Mid-Missouri has a slightly different body shape and, with mahogany back and sides, sounds warmer. The Gypsy, with an induced arch and deeper body, is more resonant.

belbein
Jan-21-2014, 10:45am
How about this, as one approach you could take:
Nj7GSrry3KA

I just love the duct tape.

DataNick
Jan-26-2014, 7:40pm
Thread bump:

FYI Pat,

I closed the deal with a friend of mine Thursday night to buy his 2001 "Derrington" Flatiron Festival F. As every other "Derrington" Flat I've played, including my Performer A, it's got the goods...a period equivalent F5G in Flatiron label "clothing".

What's nice is that he's "holding" it for me, as it will take me about 3 months to put together the dough to cash it out.

So I'm definately in acquisition mode with no plans to sell any of my herd; and I do consistently play them all over the course of a week, except for the JBovier. The JBovier is gonna need a re-fret within probably 30 hours or so of playing time, so I'm limiting it's usage till I get the new Flat; just in time for our first festival gig this year in May...

Late Bro!

roysboy
Jan-26-2014, 8:57pm
Thread bump:

FYI Pat,

I closed the deal with a friend of mine Thursday night to buy his 2001 "Derrington" Flatiron Festival F. As every other "Derrington" Flat I've played, including my Performer A, it's got the goods...a period equivalent F5G in Flatiron label "clothing".

What's nice is that he's "holding" it for me, as it will take me about 3 months to put together the dough to cash it out.

So I'm definately in acquisition mode with no plans to sell any of my herd; and I do consistently play them all over the course of a week, except for the JBovier. The JBovier is gonna need a re-fret within probably 30 hours or so of playing time, so I'm limiting it's usage till I get the new Flat; just in time for our first festival gig this year in May...

Late Bro!

I'd buy a Kentucky Km-150 and send my boy to college .

pheffernan
Jan-26-2014, 9:51pm
So I'm definately in acquisition mode with no plans to sell any of my herd; and I do consistently play them all over the course of a week, except for the JBovier. The JBovier is gonna need a re-fret within probably 30 hours or so of playing time, so I'm limiting it's usage till I get the new Flat

Thanks for the update, Nick, and congratulations on the new acquisition. As a fellow Flatiron owner, I admire your devotion to the brand. And as someone who shares your interest in new instruments, I envy your discretionary income. :))

DataNick
Jan-27-2014, 12:24am

No wife, no kids, no dog, no cat, no car payment...

DataNick
Jan-27-2014, 12:26am
Thanks for the update, Nick, and congratulations on the new acquisition. As a fellow Flatiron owner, I admire your devotion to the brand. And as someone who shares your interest in new instruments, I envy your discretionary income. :))

Thanks Pat!

In this case it's more about an economical way to get into a Gibson F5 model vs. devotion to the Flatiron brand however...

roysboy
Jan-27-2014, 2:50am
No wife, no kids, no dog, no cat, no car payment...

oh hell ....go nuts then !

delsbrother
Jan-27-2014, 5:05am
Right now, I have way more instruments than I know what to do with. As I get older and my health gets worse I would love to cull the herd down to two or three. My problem is my "collection" is either fair-to-middlin' in quality or it's really oddball stuff that is basically unsellable.. IOW I'm pretty much stuck with them all unless I want to take a massive loss. As I was amassing the collection I stoked the MAS fires by saying I'd want one of this and one of that for the different things I could play/different tones, etc. Now up to my ears in cases and with less and less time or ability to play, I think I would've been better off just saving the $ and buying one Gilchrist. So I guess what I'm saying is your answer now may not be the same as your answer a few years from now.

Another thing I think about (now): had I saved the money and bought the Gil, it would've increased in value (or at least kept its value). I bought cheaper instruments (by cheap I mean less than $2K) and they have all decreased in value - some to the point where they actually would cost more to ship than they are worth to sell. If I add up all of those... YIKES.

One good thing to come out of this is my MAS is completely cured. :)

pheffernan
Jan-27-2014, 5:50am
In this case it's more about an economical way to get into a Gibson F5 model vs. devotion to the Flatiron brand however...

From your descriptions of production during the Derrington era, I inferred such was your motivation. You still need one with Gibson on the headstock, however...;)

Petrus
Jan-27-2014, 7:52am
My MAS is levelling off a bit (as is my bank account!) I'm a neophyte of a couple of years on the mando, but I am more of a multi-instrumentalist and trying to maintain that puts a ceiling to my mando acquisition. I avoid anything that too closely duplicates anything I already own in terms of timbre or style. The point is, if its sound is not substantially different from what I already have, there is little point in having it. My mind is also turning to ethnic and folk instruments like the cumbus, dulcimer, psaltery, rebab, oud, Irish wooden flute; and modern experimental things like electric violins, eigenharp, etc.

Prospective instruments also have to be unique or unusual in some fashion that can be heard. I try to avoid the collector's mentality of just wanting something because of a serial number or minor variation (I went through that with other things years ago.)

Also, as others have pointed out here, even if I were rich and could buy anything I wanted, I can't buy more hours in the day. An instrument that just sits around gathering dust is a waste. Right now I'm refocusing on what I already have, and discovering that a good instrument can take a long time to explore all its possibilities and potentials, like my Trinity College OM. (Which I just ordered a custom soundhole cover for!)

JeffD
Jan-27-2014, 10:43am

As long as your fortune is tied up in mandolins, you are eligible for financial aid. Cashing out the herd will screw up your FAFSA forms real bad. Just sayin... :)

DataNick
May-27-2014, 2:26pm
From your descriptions of production during the Derrington era, I inferred such was your motivation. You still need one with Gibson on the headstock, however...;)

Thread Bump:

OK Jedi Master LOL! You were right and you're original premise is where I'm ending up, from a combination of wanting to get into a much better instrument, jumping when the chance came, and $$ (can't afford to keep them all!)

In fact I'm down to 2: one A, and one F.

pheffernan
May-27-2014, 4:52pm
Thread Bump:

OK Jedi Master LOL! You were right and you're original premise is where I'm ending up, from a combination of wanting to get into a much better instrument, jumping when the chance came, and $$ (can't afford to keep them all!)

In fact I'm down to 2: one A, and one F.

Since starting this thread, of course, I've added the Pava and the National while you continue to do this thing I don't understand called subtracting. I saw your JBovier in the classifieds and wish you good luck on the sale. I'll leave you with the following quotation from upthread that we are both pursuing in our own ways:

I'm dead set on a one-way course to go broke but live happily ever after with the mando stable of my choosing...LOL!