PDA

View Full Version : Good case ,good protection reasonsbe price?

Markelberry
Dec-22-2013, 7:45pm
I am needing a archtop case plywood core fine ,are the standard tkl cases good bang for the buck still ,don't want fiberglass something a little more traditional lookin.
would like some suggestions.

Tim2723
Dec-22-2013, 7:49pm
I have several TKL cases and they work very well for me. I think they're still worth their price.

Jim Garber
Dec-22-2013, 10:06pm
+1 on TKL and I believe the Superior are the same cases. I think Elderly carries them as Canadian cases (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/MCEV.htm).

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-23-2013, 3:56am
I don't know if First Quality are still up & running,but i bought one of their TKL 'American Vintage' cases from them. It's a standard rectangular TKL case,but with extra top plies & with concealed metal corner reinforcements. It's about as tough as a 'wooden' case could be,
Ivan
PS - These pics.show a case with 'combination' style catches on it,mine has the usual 'key' style.

UsuallyPickin
Dec-23-2013, 9:58am
TKL makes a good quality case ..... the handle is not padded is my only complaint against it..... The Silver Creek Vintage F style case has the type handle I prefer, but is 20% more expensive. The TKL which will protect your mandolin just fine. The handle comfort factor come in when you carry it around a festival all day long......backpack style straps are even better for that scenario ........ the American Vintage case above looks similar to the Silver Creek ........ Check out a mega store site like Musicians Friend for a look at more cases than you ever knew were out there..... R/

Markelberry
Dec-25-2013, 1:05pm
thanks I do lean towards the tkl cases ,I wanna replace my Northfield case never have been a big fan of the non arched top or storage area ,love the mando though,does anyone know what price range a cedar creek case might be with custom opt on colors and hardware?? Wondering if my big mon will fit the tkl .Guess Ill get out the tape!

mandroid
Dec-25-2013, 3:07pm
Just happen to like a shoulder carry , rather than a handle carry.. most wooden cases only have the handle.

Have a tweed wooden A Case I got my Mix in , then got a FG Eastman will sell the wooden one..

almeriastrings
Dec-25-2013, 3:29pm
Wondering if my big mon will fit the tkl

Mine does. No problem.

UsuallyPickin
Dec-25-2013, 3:30pm
Give Cedar Creek a call... I checked their site and prices weren't posted ........ R/

Markelberry
Dec-25-2013, 6:04pm
thanks but have an Fstyle mandolin.
Just happen to like a shoulder carry , rather than a handle carry.. most wooden cases only have the handle.

Have a tweed wooden A Case I got my Mix in , then got a FG Eastman will sell the wooden one..

Markelberry
Dec-25-2013, 6:11pm
It looks like plenty storage , does it fit snug and support the neck well?
Mine does. No problem.

almeriastrings
Dec-26-2013, 1:36am
Here you are... just took these.

Overall fit is not too tight. Neck support... there is more contact towards the body than towards the 1st fret. This may vary from case to case, though, as I have found they are not 100% consistent with alignments.

Good solid case. This one has a 'Gibson' pull tag.. but the Big Mon did not object too much. As long as it could go back to its Calton after the photo :))

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-26-2013, 7:55am
Usuallypickin' - Is your TKL an old one or pretty new ?. I bought mine about 9 years back & the handle is really well padded. If the case in Almeria's pics.above is a TKL (which i think it is), then the handle seems to be a moulded plastic type without padding. I just had a quick look at the TKL website & the handles of their 'oblong' cases seem to be plastic,but with a padded area for the fingers.It could be that the padded handle with the 'D' ring attachments was for the 'American Vintage' cases only. I suppose if asked,TKL would fit a case with a padded handle for you,
Ivan

UsuallyPickin
Dec-26-2013, 8:26am
Ivan I hate to say how old it is ...I associate case purchases with Mandolin purchases. I bought an F4 with original case and didn't really trust it so I put that case on the shelf and bought a TLK.... somewhere around ten maybe twelve years ago..... it has a solid "nylon" / "plastic" of some variety handle W/O any over padding...... I do have an American Vintage case that came with a different mandolin and the handle is padded .... R/

multidon
Dec-26-2013, 9:23am
TKL cases are marketed under several different names. For example Elderly calls them "Canadian" cases. Superior cases are not the same. They are made in China and TKL are made in Canada. That being said Superior cases are quite nice at their price point. Silver Creek cases are just Superior cases rebranded for Musicians Friend/Guitar Center companies. The only problem with Superior cases that I have noticed is the make them a bit large in the interior. I guess that makes these generic cases fit a larger number of models.

almeriastrings
Dec-26-2013, 12:21pm
The Guardian are another oblong case... but, the alignment on these can be all over the place. Fine if you get good one. These are also made in China.

stevedenver
Dec-27-2013, 11:25am
I like my guardian too
Tight fit,sturdy,more compact than the tkl
I Have a tkl, very nice and spacious, i use baby diapers for additional support
I have also a travelite and it's superb,light,tight, and the best of all for insulation,hygrometer is worthless,little room for other stuff
Best for hands free,ie shoulder straps,very very light,good for festivals,

None are suitable for air baggage imho

I like them all, tkl is best for being able to put in sheet music,otherwise,each has it's own pros and cons

Guardian case lid top pads need surgery if you have a pick guard,IMHO,as they sit too tightly on the guard

I have too, a big, a or f style candian for my Rigel, and other than sloppy loose fit, it's good too, just needs baby diapers or was clothes to pad snugly, fine for around town, bit thick and the largest