PDA

View Full Version : Poss Fraud F4 on Ebay

Keith Miller
Feb-24-2005, 6:22pm
Have a look at item 7303732781 on ebay. I've seen that carpet somewhere before http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Have asked for more pics so we'll see what happens,
Keith.

Links
Feb-24-2005, 6:53pm
Looks fishy to me!

These crooks need to come up with more ingenious ways to scam folks. Thses are getting boring!

Gibsonman
Feb-24-2005, 7:55pm
With only those 2 pictures, something is wrong.

Juice6120
Feb-24-2005, 8:43pm
I just got another auction F4 , has to be fraud Gibson F4 Mandolin Item number: 5367027335 #I sent an email to them asking for more info. I get an AOL IM within literally minutes. They want 2600 and 300 shipping and its mine, after 12 pictures wow what an awesome F4 , I asked about shipping its in romania. But yet auction has NC item location. They wanted to money sent Western Union immediately. To Romania. I got all his info. If its legit its way too far out there , If its not which i doubt it is. I have the emails and all saved so maybe someone wont get taken . # # Mike

Keith Miller
Feb-24-2005, 8:54pm
Juice,
I just emailed that guy for pictures let's see how much he offers it to me for with postage to UK http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Keith

rattler
Feb-24-2005, 9:00pm
Juice,

Run, do not walk, away from this "deal". The classic mode is they have some US address, but the instrument is overseas. They'll require you use Western Union (which has no trace ability) or some "other" financial institution. When I was looking for my F4, I found "the deal" mint, great price, you name it. They wanted me to open an Austion account with their bank in London. The "bank" was the address of the Highstreet Hotel...which I had stayed at before. Their scam was to 1. get your money AND get your banking info. As a general rule I will never deal with 1. Foreigners, 2. Anyone that won't trade phone and street address, 3. Anyone that won't use paypal or an escrow service. It's just not worth the risk.

As a matter of fact, any reputable instrument dealer will usually work as a consignment agent for the transfer of an instrument. Usually for $50 to $100 they'll handle the swap and everyone comes out good. For a 4-6,000 instrument, another 100 bucks is chickenfeed.

There was a time when a man could transfer 10 grand and know he was ok, but no there are so many scammers out there that you can't trust anyone. The sad thing is there's too little law enforcement to go after them and when dealing with foreigners, you're totally out of luck.

Caveat Emptor my friend.

Keith Miller
Feb-24-2005, 9:59pm
Just got a reply for Juice's F4. Nice pictures, no price mentioned but the postage is included, seller says he's located in Europe. Must say he's picked a stunning F4 to scam
Keith.

Juice6120
Feb-24-2005, 10:21pm
I have all his info hmm, wonder if its bogus lol , I knew better when i heard romania. Just have to be carefull
There are so many of these folks making selling and buying a chore.

Mike

atetone
Feb-24-2005, 11:25pm
Yeah, I got the pictures too. It's a beauty.
He didn't reply to my questions. I guess they were too tough and he figured it wasn't worth the effort.
What a shame,,, I really wanted to "steal" that baby too!

bluesmandolinman
Feb-25-2005, 5:13am
Yes 5367027335 is definitly a fraud because that description is a 1 : 1 copy from a F-4 I bought from ebay 2 month ago. #

Great instrument but NOT for sale.

Take care !

neal
Feb-25-2005, 6:47am
it's here. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5367027335) No photos on the auction, seller looks legit, but I'd be wary. It's also located in the catagory "men's shoes".

neal
Feb-25-2005, 6:51am
The first auction at top of this page is here. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7303732781)

Mike Handley
Feb-25-2005, 9:41pm
ebay pulled the item.

evanreilly
Feb-25-2005, 10:57pm
This listing (5367027335) has been removed by eBay or is no longer available. Please make sure that you've entered the item number correctly.

evanreilly
Feb-25-2005, 11:01pm
The other one has a well written & researched description.
Unfortunately, i'd be the picture,a s well as the info, was boosted from the Archives site. One picture of an instrument like that?? I don't think so!!!!
At least it isn't my F-4..... which does have the same brown tuner buttons and a Virzi number real close to that one.

Keith Miller
Feb-28-2005, 2:26am
Well I finally got a reply for the original auction I posted about (after the thing closed) I'm offered it for 3500 incl postage and the "Unit" has now moved to Spain !! lots more photos as well.
Keith

Keith Miller
Feb-28-2005, 2:29am
here a pic of the front he sent me