PDA

View Full Version : Just A Thougth

JimKo
Dec-17-2013, 4:19pm
Friends, Seems that most times you look in the classifieds there is a listing that contains the phrase "selling for medical reasons" or "helping a deceased friend's family sell instruments". Nobody plans on it but we all get there. Some sooner than others. So today, when I get my mando out of the case I am going hit a few chords, play fiddle tune slowly, and enjoy each note. And when I go pick with some friends tomorrow night I will try and not be wondering what the name is on the head stock, but will just be very grateful to be apart of this wonderful thing called music. Jim Koweek

dhbailey
Dec-17-2013, 6:42pm
Very nicely put, Jim! Long ago I learned to try to live every day as if it were my last and to always leave my friends and family with kind and loving words in case they're the last I get to say to them. Music is wonderful to help us realize that there really is joy to be found in this world amid the sadness, and for those of us who get the privilege of making music instead of just listening to us, the joy is compounded. Especially at this time of year when all the memories of holidays past and family and friends who are no longer with us are strong, let's all raise a glass of whatever we happen to be drinking and play or sing a song in toast to those who are gone, those who are here and those who are yet to come along. And keep that music alive!

roysboy
Dec-17-2013, 7:04pm
Friends, Seems that most times you look in the classifieds there is a listing that contains the phrase "selling for medical reasons" or "helping a deceased friend's family sell instruments". Nobody plans on it but we all get there. Some sooner than others. So today, when I get my mando out of the case I am going hit a few chords, play fiddle tune slowly, and enjoy each note. And when I go pick with some friends tomorrow night I will try and not be wondering what the name is on the head stock, but will just be very grateful to be apart of this wonderful thing called music. Jim Koweek

Well stated , Jim . Thanks for that heartfelt reminder of how blessed we are to be able to pick and sing and share the joy of it with others . Best of the season to you and yours .

verbs4us
Dec-18-2013, 8:02am
Jim--had a similar experience in an unrelated way. Years ago my dad bought a Gibson H2 mandola (1914) used, and it was a mess when he got it. The top had sunk (and continued to sink), the binding was peeling off, there were cracks in the sides and back. The machines were stiff and unforgiving. When he died, I ended up with the Gibson. It had been a beautiful instrument in its day and now it was almost unplayable. I brought it to a few luthiers and they all shook their heads and said it would cost more to repair then it was worth. Then, I found a colleague at work who builds instruments on the side. He had never worked on a mandola and was eager to give it a try. I basically had a pile of kindling, so we both had nothing to lose. Long story short, he worked on it for a year (!) and brought it back from the brink. It is so rich and warm, I almost never touch my mandolin anymore. When I first started playing it, I had shivers and a funny feeling that it was haunted (in a good way). It is 100 years old and is just reday to go wherever you want to go. There are joyful spirits in it that are happy to come out whenever I sit down. I hope somewhere there are now nameless players who gave this instrument its mojo and are in the heavenly choir enjoying its rebirth--depsite how badly I butcher the Rakes of Mallow.

lorrainehornig
Dec-18-2013, 10:43am
Jim, that was very eloquently stated. We take so much for granted and often fail to pursue our dreams because we think we have all the time in the world. Then one day we wake up and much to our despair, we realize that time is running out. Thanks for your thoughts...they serve as a reminder to live everyday to its fullest...AND to get out that mandolin, play every single day and soak up the joy it brings. The happiest and merriest of holidays to you and yours!

Tom Cherubini
Dec-18-2013, 10:46am
"Tomorrow is promised to no one."

fatt-dad
Dec-18-2013, 10:52am
poingent. . . Richmond, Virginia just lost a great banjo picker, bike mechanic, luthier, theologian (Anglican ministry) and all-around great woman, Ms. Becky Taylor. A drunk ran a red light and she died on the scene. Just a blink of an eye and she's gone.

The music scene is stunned. . .

f-d

montana
Dec-18-2013, 11:12am
Merry Christmas Happy Holidays to all. Let's spend a minute being thankful.

TheBlindBard
Dec-19-2013, 11:26am
Very well stated. I certainly am thankful for alot this year, one of them being the fact that I have picked up an instrument and started learning at a (relatively young) age. All of us sometimes forget and get caught up in one thing or another. Music really helps remind me of how beautiful life is and how we shouldn't take it for granted. Happy holidays to everybody here and hope you all have a great one, playing and spending time with loved ones :)

6guns
Dec-19-2013, 11:30am
What a nice thought and how important it is to keep things in perspective. Thank you. Merry Christmas.

Randi Gormley
Dec-19-2013, 11:41am
Lovely thought. We've lost some great musicians this year and this is a perfect time to remember them and remember that music has given us great memories and lives on past its originators.

Gene Summers
Dec-19-2013, 12:01pm
Wonderful heartfelt posts, I enjoyed reading them. Life is very temporary, more so for some than others. Life IS a GIFT, and I thank the Lord for each day. The love of music and the Lord, is something that my late Dad instilled in me. Just to be here today is a miracle, as I have fought death once, a little over two years ago. Music is something that takes me to a higher plane and allows me to express myself and to relax. Yesterday my Mother and her twin sister, celebrated their 82nd birthday. What a joy to see how blessed we are as a family. Not perfect, by any means, but blessed. Merry Christmas to all, and to all, enjoy the music!