PDA

View Full Version : Monteleone Radio Style B

flatwound
Dec-13-2013, 10:36pm
How many of the A style radio Monteleones exist? Any for sale?

Anyone make a Radio A copy?

I think they are real cool.

SternART
Dec-13-2013, 10:48pm
Probably not very many........I used to have one & have only seen one other Radio Flyer A model Monteleone.

flatwound
Dec-13-2013, 10:52pm
Why would you sell such a mandolin?

RichM
Dec-13-2013, 11:11pm

I used to have a Kentucky KM-DAWG, the authorized Monteleone copy built by Sumi, and the only version of a Monteleone I'm likely to ever own. Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and I sold it.

I wish I hadn't.

SternART
Dec-14-2013, 8:13pm

To pay the rent on my studio, the wolf was at the door.....the recession has been tough times for everyone especially artists. I was offered a Gil A model & a pile of cash.........too hard to turn down, the Gil was killer but I had to find a home for that one too.

The good news is I'm working again, just finishing a major Public Art project with another about to start and I'm pleased to say that John Monteleone is currently working on a 2 point for me. I actually ordered it and made a deposit prior to the economy taking a downturn, and he was kind enough to put me on the back burner.....for several years.... until I was gainfully employed again. How exciting is that !!! :grin:

flatwound
Dec-14-2013, 8:20pm
That is awesome. Let us see the 2 point when it is birthed.

testore
Dec-14-2013, 9:24pm
Great to hear Art.

Gary Hedrick
Dec-15-2013, 11:36am
To pay the rent on my studio, the wolf was at the door.....the recession has been tough times for everyone especially artists. I was offered a Gil A model & a pile of cash.........too hard to turn down, the Gil was killer but I had to find a home for that one too.

The good news is I'm working again, just finishing a major Public Art project with another about to start and I'm pleased to say that John Monteleone is currently working on a 2 point for me. I actually ordered it and made a deposit prior to the economy taking a downturn, and he was kind enough to put me on the back burner.....for several years.... until I was gainfully employed again. How exciting is that !!! :grin:

Good for you Arthur!! You have owned some of the best mandolins over the years and with the ups and downs of the market for your remarkable work, you have been forced to sell. A true artist with the glass and with some of the designs of mandolins you have commissioned....those Smart mandolins you commissioned were truly works of art in their design and in his execution.

Mark Seale
Dec-15-2013, 12:17pm

Arthur, how would you compare the tone and playability of the Monteleone to the Gil?

SternART
Dec-16-2013, 8:19pm
All mandolins sound different, and both of these were REALLY great .......but different.......like chocolate & vanilla ice cream are both great, but some might like one more than the other. The Monty Radio Flyer A model has dolphin holes, a very open clear sound with great sustain, rang like a bell all over the neck.........Gil a more focused sound, a bit deeper bass & more of a traditional BG midrange sound. I hope you can play them side by side someday, hard to put into words..........but both were stellar instruments, easy to play, with their own unique voice.