PDA

View Full Version : Banjolins

avabeah
Dec-13-2013, 6:13am
Looking for information on this banjolin,I have two of themThis one in great condition with case to match.
The other one the same make but different at the top where the machine heads are,and when I bought it someone had already attacked it with sand paper,and the skin was torn,so have pulled it apart and going to sand back and re-stain and replace the skin.

allenhopkins
Dec-13-2013, 3:55pm
Looks English made. Can't read the headstock decal; what does it say? Any other labels or identifying markings?

By the way, it's technically not a banjolin, which was a specific instrument with four strings (if Wikipedia is to be believed). It's a mandolin banjo (or banjo-mandolin, word order being interchangeable).

avabeah
Dec-14-2013, 12:59am
The headstock has got a gold lion stamped British Made.same on my other one,but the headstock has straight edges not curved like this one111039 I think they we're made around 1920???111040 Got the same ID.markings on the hard case.

8ch(pl)
Dec-14-2013, 6:32am
I believe that the Recumbant Lion was a trademark of John Grey & Sons Ltd. ( JG&Sor JG &S Ltd may appear on the instrument.) They often had "British Made" as well. They were one of the better makers.

avabeah
Dec-14-2013, 5:32pm
G'day

Has anyone got any idea of the value??? & what year they were actually made?? Is round about the 1920' correct??

avabeah
Dec-14-2013, 5:36pm
Also which one would be the oldest, the one with the curve on the side of the headstock (pictured) or one that is straight on the sides of the headstock.

allenhopkins
Dec-15-2013, 3:31pm
Here's (http://www.whitetreeaz.com/vintage/brit2.htm) some history on John Grey & Sons, a firm that goes back to the 1830's, apparently.

You're going to need to go to a site that specializes in British banjo history, I believe, to get answers to your questions. Possibly someone on the Cafe is familiar enough with British banjo-family instruments, but not me!

Phil1580
Dec-19-2013, 10:56pm
I feel like I stole your thread with the one I just posted :grin: I posted about the same instrument. Maybe we can join forces to figure this thing out.

avabeah
Dec-20-2013, 1:00am
Yeppa Phil
Can't find anywhere that has a pic or something to show what I am looking at,I think they were made about the 1920's??

Ray(T)
Dec-21-2013, 9:47am
! Another one with a replacement [banjo] tailpiece !

Samjessin
Dec-21-2013, 10:26am
I have one of these. it says "Reliance" next to the lion.

avabeah
Dec-22-2013, 6:29pm
Hey RayT
I think that Phil the other person with this Banjo is in the UK.I'm in Australia Bit of a funny coincidence that we both have got the same tailpiece Replacement.