PDA

View Full Version : Now, ain't this the cat's meow...

AlanN
Dec-11-2013, 2:25pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/71791

JAK
Dec-11-2013, 2:46pm
Seems only right to have a mandolin go into this case that is at least equal to the price of the case?

Jim Garber
Dec-11-2013, 2:53pm
I was trying to figure out the price ratio of Loar mandolin (say $180K) to this case ($12K) in human scale. Say I had an upper end mandolin that cost $18K then I would need a case that cost $1200. Factoring in the rarity of such an original case in amazing condition I guess that is sort of reasonable. I wonder what happened to the mandolin that was in that case originally. Were the F4 cases the same as those for F5s?

Hendrik Ahrend
Dec-11-2013, 2:58pm
Were the F4 cases the same as those for F5s?

F4 cases were shaped.

Jim Garber
Dec-11-2013, 3:12pm
F4 cases were shaped.

Are you sure there were no rectangular cases for F4's? I know that they may be rarer even than the F5 ones.

1914 Gibson F4 Mandolin with Case (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/201205A18.html)

Quote from Richard Johnston who appraised it:

It comes in an unusual case. We don't usually see the rectangular cases for the mandolins until, you know, several years later. So this is actually the first time I've seen this particular case. Usually they're a shaped case that's much smaller.

And then there is this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?31905-Loar-%27style%27-mandolin-cases) in which Dan Beimborn our Archive-meister shows us a few of these cases. A few other cases pictured on Steve Kirtley's vintage case site (http://www.stevekirtley.org/bullshead.htm) (scroll down).

I think I answered my own question. These rectangular no n-F5 cases have to be shorter since the necks were shorter and they look like the mandolins fit nice and snug in the cases.

Hendrik Ahrend
Dec-11-2013, 4:33pm
:) Thanks, Jim, I stand corrected. Looks like there were some custom made cases. Remember the double case for two Fern F5s?

Shelagh Moore
Dec-11-2013, 4:51pm
I refrain.....

HoGo
Dec-11-2013, 5:07pm
I think this particular case came with F-5 mandolin. See the position of bridge wear pattern on the lid, looks too far from tail to be F-4 (or F-2).
Catalogs from the era show pricing of mandolin without cases and you could order any case you wanted with F-4.

Jim Garber
Dec-11-2013, 5:31pm
Adrian: I assume you are referring to the 2nd photo not the Roadshow one. But if that was for an F5 wouldn't there be more room above the peghead of the oval F?

pfox14
Dec-11-2013, 5:49pm
Who would have a Loar-era F-5 without a case? Seems rather unlikely.

peterk
Dec-11-2013, 6:19pm
I guess when it comes to collectibles, one can not rationalize their price thru their function, utility and quality.
These days $1000 can buy a top notch, brand new case, hand made using best materials and workmanship.

barney 59
Dec-11-2013, 9:12pm
Who would have a Loar-era F-5 without a case? Seems rather unlikely.

Someone with a Loar and no intentions to sell it, a top of the line modern flight case and a desire to have $12000 for their old vintage case!

f5loar
Dec-11-2013, 10:02pm
It's not the first empty F5 Loar case that has gone up for sale, nor will it be the last. How do they separate? One can only surmise such parting. A greedy collector from the 60's puts the F5Loar he bought for $400 in another case when he sells it for $2000 and keeps the original case hidden in a secret concrete vault only to bring it out a half century later for sale at an unbelievable price.
I recall Gruhn's had one for sale for $10,000 and not in this good of shape so $12,000 is not out of line.

AlanN
Dec-12-2013, 7:39am
Sometimes, these cases go round and round. I remember buying one from a Fla. guy, he bought it back. Back in the day, a case was a case, nothing more.

oldwave
Dec-12-2013, 11:15am
A fool and his money are soon parted. Are you kidding me ? O

JeffD
Dec-12-2013, 2:25pm
Way cool.

BBarton
Dec-25-2013, 4:53pm
Jim - I had a 1914 F-4 (red) that had a rectangular case with red lining just like the one in the Roadshow photo, so some do exist. I'd post a photo if I knew how. The mandolin originally belonged to a traveling Gibson salesman from OK and I obtained it from a dealer/collector in MN. When I got it I had no idea that the case was rare. Both the mandolin and case were in pristeen condition and now are now owned and housed at the National Music Museum in Vermillion, SD. The mandolin is archived online; the case is not mentioned, but I did advise them it was very uncommon.

mandroid
Dec-27-2013, 6:37pm
Cheshire Cat.. since not even the grin remains .. "No Matches Found" for 71791

Gary Hedrick
Dec-28-2013, 11:19am
F4 cases were shaped.

I too owned a 1927 F4 with a rectangular case....

Gary Hedrick
Dec-28-2013, 11:21am
Sold the case for $2.5k about 12 years ago

Hendrik Ahrend
Dec-28-2013, 12:52pm
I too owned a 1927 F4 with a rectangular case....
Thanks, Gary, rub it in! As I acknowledged in post #6, there where, indeed, rectangular ones.:redface: There's one pictured in Walter Carter's Gibson book, page 101.
Could it be that #438 ("discontinued") in the 1923 Gibson Hand Book was that rectangular F4 case? Does anybody know? #440 was for F5s BTW.

Gary Hedrick
Dec-28-2013, 5:12pm
Oh sorry Henry not trying to be a smart ass just hit the reply before I got the the further posts....

A number of these "Loar" cases are ones that come from the F2 and F4's that had the case upgrade....

Hendrik Ahrend
Dec-28-2013, 5:25pm
Oh sorry Henry not trying to be a smart ass just hit the reply before I got the the further posts....

A number of these "Loar" cases are ones that come from the F2 and F4's that had the case upgrade....

:)

BBarton
Jan-03-2014, 5:16pm
111961Steve - Here is 1914 F-4 in its rectangular case (the one now in the National Music Museum), which appears exactly like the one on Antiques Road Show above. I only have one other pic, similar but it clearly shows the square corners.

Loudloar
Jan-04-2014, 6:54am
Thanks for the picture Bruce. You can see the double diamond on the pocket lid which identifies it as an M&W case (Maulbretsch & Whittemore). The lining is corduroy rather than plush, which I've only seen on Teen's cases. This case and the Antiques Roadshow case are the only two square-cornered M&W cases I've seen. Most have rounded corners like this one. It came with a 1913-15 F-4, so it's roughly the same age.

Steve

BBarton
Jan-04-2014, 1:15pm
The interior is laid out a little differently too with two open pockets instead of one. 'Not sure, but the longer pocket on mine might have been suitable for a music stand.

Loudloar
Jan-04-2014, 7:52pm
The interior is laid out a little differently too with two open pockets instead of one. 'Not sure, but the longer pocket on mine might have been suitable for a music stand.

Absolutely correct. Also, the purple-lined case posted earlier and all the subsequent G&S Loar-era cases have open side pockets that are specifically sized for a music stand. My 1924 F-5 case has wear marks in that pocket as evidence that a music stand was once stored there.

Steve