PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Carver Mandolin hand made

Charles E.
Dec-10-2013, 8:39pm
It is hand made..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-CARVER-A-MANDOLIN-HAND-CARVED-USA-LUTHIER-BUILT-VINTAGE-GIBSON-LOAR-COPY-/231109092570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cf2ce4da#ht_367wt_880

He says in the ad "The fact that a machine did not make it means there are going to be some imperfections"

Wow, :disbelief:

Canoedad
Dec-10-2013, 8:53pm
I came close to buying one of Chris' 2 points that came up in the classifieds as my first upgrade. The clips the seller had sounded pretty good.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Dec-10-2013, 9:21pm
I've been watching that one. It was previously listed with a BIN price of $1500, which wasn't unreasonable. Then the price was rasied and that's that. I let the buyer know that Chris himself is selling an F style for less than his BIN price, and wish him best of luck. I've always been interested in trying one of Chris' mandolins as I like his work and all the sound clips I've heard before I liked.

Canoedad
Dec-10-2013, 9:30pm
See http://carvermandolins.com/avail.html

It's #53

Clement Barrera-Ng
Dec-10-2013, 9:47pm
See http://carvermandolins.com/avail.html

It's #53

Thanks for the link. However #53 appears to be a different mandolin: It has a bound fingerboard while the one on eBay doesn't. Its possible that binding had been removed, but then the seller should have disclosed that (not to mention the year would also be incorrect if thats the case).

Canoedad
Dec-10-2013, 10:00pm
Look at the missing piece of triple binding on the lower left of the headstock. Match up the flame on the back of both and on the back of the headstocks, and the coloring of the flower pots. It's the same mando. But like you said, the binding is missing on the fingerboard. Good catch.

Eddie Sheehy
Dec-10-2013, 11:37pm
I like Chris' work. And he's a great guy to do business with. If I was in the market for a Carver, I'd go straight to Chris.

Astro
Dec-11-2013, 8:39am
Yeah, I'd stay away from those builders that make them with their feet.

ides1056
Dec-11-2013, 9:50am
caveat emptor

JFDilmando
Dec-11-2013, 11:39am
Chris makes great sounding instruments. I have owned one of his two points and thought it held up beautifully with some high end mandolins I had at the time..... Gilchrist, Monteleone, Altman..... Not saying it was really in quite the same category, but just the thought of comparing his sound with that company is really awesome.... Note that I didn't say workmanship.... This is the place that Chris just....well it just seems like he doesn't really care about the fit, finish....he's ok with tear out, drips, spaces, and such... I asked him about it once and he replied that he concentrates on voice, and needs to sell what he makes to keep learning....fair enough.
It is tough making a living doing this wonderful creation kinda thing....and Chris is giving a lot of folks wonderful sounds in their lives.

Charles E.
Dec-11-2013, 6:38pm
Fair enough, I am sure Chris is a great guy and his instruments are at the low end, cost wise. I was just a bit shocked to see that first picture. I wish him all the best in the future.

John Hill
Dec-11-2013, 7:15pm
I've played a two point Carver while back. Great sounding mandolin but as JFDillon said, the fit & finish was a bit rough.

John Hill
Dec-11-2013, 7:16pm
I've played a two point Carver while back. Great sounding mandolin but as JFDilmando said, the fit & finish was a bit rough.