PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good next step?

Ulysees
Dec-09-2013, 3:09am
So I have an Indiana B-M1, had it since this April. I like it, tried it in the store when I got it next to some $1,400+ models and it sounded almost as good if you can believe it. (Although I hadn't started playing yet, this is my first mandolin, so I could only do some basic strumming and just messing around at the time) I got it from Buffalo Bros. Guitars in Carlsbad CA, and they recommended it as one of the best "starter" mandolins they've seen, and it was the only starter they kept in stock ($99 btw).
What I want to know is what would be a good next step for me in terms of upgrading? I have made a ton of progress over the last 8 months and I feel like I am ready to take another step in terms of the instrument, but I'm not going to be investing anything over maybe $400 into another mandolin (working student). Would it be worth it to try and upgrade my current model at all, or just look at better brands? Like I said it sounds and feels like at least a $2-300 model but cost less than half that, if I bought an actual $2-300 model would it be worth it? Anyone familiar with Indiana? I couldn't find may reviews on them and all I know is they're made in China (not necessarily a horrible thing, but still). I appreciate any input, thanks guys

Ulysees
Dec-09-2013, 3:14am
I should also mention that in terms of construction, as far as I can tell it is a quality piece and a huge deal for the price, seems to be solid wood construction all around, tuners are alright but could probably be improved. The bridge, tail, and nut all seem to be good quality as well. Even people who aren't very experienced with mandolins were impressed with the sound quality from it too.

pheffernan
Dec-09-2013, 4:35am
What kind of music do you play? At that price point, you're most likely choosing between a domestic flattop (Mid-Missouri, Gypsy, Redline), a carved import (Kentucky, The Loar), or a vintage piece (Stradolin).

Astro
Dec-09-2013, 8:06am
Since you like your mandolin; think it sounds as good as some 1400 dollar ones; and you are not willing to spend more than 400 dollars on a new one;- then just keep what you have and play the heck out of it.

No its not worth spending money to upgrade your current instrument.(tuners,tailpieces, even bridges probably wont add the value they cost).

It is absolutely worth spending money to have it set up as best as possible.

If your 400 dollars is burning a MAS hole in your pocket, and you want to try another instrument, I would look at a used Eastman MD 305 and/or a new Kentucky KM150 thats in your price range.

For any instrument at this level, the quality varies from instrument to instrument and the set up is more important than any other factor.

multidon
Dec-09-2013, 9:38am
The Indiana mandolin has been discussed here before. Use the search function to find the previous threads and what was said about them. If you like it that's fine. But you are fooling yourself if at that price point you think they are solid wood. Amazon sells them for about the same price you paid. The specs say "top, back, and sides made of linden wood". This is the same thing as basswood, and if solid is not specified you can bet your bottom dollar its not. Everyone is looking for the 100 dollar solid wood carved mandolin. It does not exist. Yours is laminated. I guarantee it. And basswood is not a usual choice of tonewood for a mandolin. I have never heard of any other brand that uses it. Spruce over maple is the standard choice (though not the only choice).

If you have 400 dollars to spend I would advise you try a Kentucky KM 150 or 160 series. An Eastman 300 series will be a little over that but also a good choice. These are all solid carved wood spruce over maple instruments. Get it from someplace that sets them up right. You will feel and hear the difference.

allenhopkins
Dec-09-2013, 11:51am
I should also mention that in terms of construction, as far as I can tell it is a quality piece and a huge deal for the price, seems to be solid wood construction all around, tuners are alright but could probably be improved. The bridge, tail, and nut all seem to be good quality as well. Even people who aren't very experienced with mandolins were impressed with the sound quality from it too.

It's plywood. If the specs don't say "solid wood" -- and they don't -- it's plywood. Doesn't mean it's not a decent starter instrument, but don't kid yourself.

Your next step up should be at least a solid top, preferably all solid wood. The Kentucky KM-160 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/kentucky-km-160-series-standard-a-model-mandolin) is spec-ed at all solid woods, hand-carved top, and you can get it (out of the box, not set up) for $300. You'll need to get a set-up (or figure out how to do it yourself -- Cafe member Rob Meldrum offers an e-book on mandolin set-up, free to Cafe-ers), which is crucial.

Let me lapse a bit into criticism: it's natural to like instruments with which we're familiar, and to feel that we are real smart shoppers who've gotten an amazing deal on a great mandolin. Your Indiana may well be just what you needed to get started, but I'll guarantee that a more experienced mandolinist would not rate it comparable to a "$1400+ model." Even the $300 Kentucky, which I would rate as a just-above-entry instrument, and would recommend to someone starting out, has major construction advantages over the Indiana.

And upgrading the Indiana wouldn't make much sense. It's still plywood, and putting a new bridge, tailpiece, tuner set etc. on it won't change that. You're surely getting your money's worth out of it, and you can't do better than that.

Jim Garber
Dec-09-2013, 12:13pm
What kind of music do you play? At that price point, you're most likely choosing between a domestic flattop (Mid-Missouri, Gypsy, Redline), a carved import (Kentucky, The Loar), or a vintage piece (Stradolin).

AFAIK those domestic flattops mentioned are more than $400 -- used perhaps...

BlueMt.
Dec-09-2013, 1:29pm
I've routinely seen used The Loar's, Eastman's and Kentucky's on the Cafe classifieds for under $400. I bought my son a used LM-400 from the classifieds and it was really nice. Unless your Indiana is an anomoly, all those mentioned will be superior. YMMV

f5loar
Dec-09-2013, 2:45pm
Yeah it's time to move from that model of plywood. I favor the high end Kentucky 900,950,1000,1050 and if you can go bit more the 1500. Eastman high ends are good too.

DataNick
Dec-09-2013, 3:46pm
Ulysees,

Where are you at? I'm in Fallbrook and have purchased several mandos at Buffalo Bros. We should connect and play a few instruments together to help give you a sense of what you're looking for. You could play all mine in my stable for example and get a real good sampling of mine & others at a local bluegrass jam in Encinitas also. PM me if interested...

Nick

pheffernan
Dec-09-2013, 5:13pm
AFAIK those domestic flattops mentioned are more than $400 -- used perhaps...

You are correct. I should have clarified that domestic flattops often show up in the Classifieds used in the $400 range. Not too long ago there was a Mid-Missouri listed at around $350. It didn't hang around for long.

Ulysees
Dec-11-2013, 11:43pm
DataNick I'm down in El Cajon, not that close to Buffalo Bros actually but I was up there with family and my dad and uncle stopped in and I ended up walking out with a mandolin. Not too bad haha
I'm thinking the sound quality is mainly due to the setup, which I'm sure I can attest to the guys at Buffalo Bros, it certainly seems as well setup as the higher end ones I've seen there and at a couple other places.
I play a little of everything, pop songs if I feel like it, little rock song covers, little country. I'm also considering the Fender Mando-Strat as well and just have the Indiana as my acoustic for fun but still have the Fender to rock out on. If Santa is nice this year maybe he can toss me one and I'll be able to buy the other... but I might be getting a little old for Santa hehe...
I might check out a Kentucky, they're definitely the one I hear mentioned the most by far so it seems like a good option to try out.

bmac
Dec-13-2013, 7:46pm
I think the advice above is good... Keep this one as a spare and move into the $500 to $700 new range. Spend a few more bucks on a settup if it doesn't already have one and you will have a really nice sounding mandolin which, if you care for it, will be worth a considerable amount when resold for the next step up (or if you lose interest). I think once you have one of these you will begin to hear the difference. Don't rule out a well cared for used mandolin. because you can get a good used mando for considerably less than a new mando of the same brand and quality.

As suggested above, a Mid-Missouri (AKA Big Muddy) is a wonderful instrument which will often fall into the $350+ range used and you will hear some real qualiy sound, in my experience.

If your top price is around $400 I would consider used because with used you may be able to move into the next level of quality and get an instrument worth roughly $550 but used will sell for roughly $400 - $450. Anyway, something to think about.

bmac
Dec-13-2013, 8:00pm
message deleted