PDA

View Full Version : Feedback wanted

David Miller
Feb-23-2005, 9:35pm
I just posted a recording I made of Chick Corea's "Open Your Eyes, You Can Fly" to the mandolin project at the following...
Open Your Eyes (http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com/misc05/eyes.mp3)
I would love to get feedback... I had a great deal of fun making this recording (Mando and Flugelhorn actually make a pretty good combo) but I am definitely just starting to scratch the surface of the jazz voice of the mando. I tried to use Pat Metheny's great sense of the "crescendo solo" in this piece as well. If you couldnt tell, Chick and Pat are two of my all time idols!

I appologise for the size of the file - I did try to compress it as much as I could.

The mando is a Collings MT....

James
Feb-23-2005, 10:43pm
Hey Collings470 (David), really nice work. #You're right, the mandolin and Flugelhorn do work really well together. #By way of constructive criticism I would say that that the mandolin could be a more forceful presence in the piece. #At times it was difficult to hear the mandolin, especially during the tremolos, but this may have been an audio- limitation in my end. #Overall, I enjoyed the piece very much. #Thanks for posting it.

James

mandolooter
Feb-23-2005, 11:29pm
I havent listened to it yet but its one of my all time favorite songs and the one that opened the whole world of jazz and Brazillion music to my ears and in the process introduced me to one of my heroes, Pat Methany! Now for the soundclip>>>http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandolooter
Feb-23-2005, 11:37pm
Very very nice work! Im leaning more and more towards jazz as a release of my inner-music since it seems to flow from me easier if that makes any sense. Up till now i've concentrated on bluegrass which I love but at times find hard to deal with since it seems I feel constrained at times by tradition, etc. That may well be all in my head but either way the freedom of jazz seems to call me harder and harder as I slowly learn my way around the mandolin. I tryed to do Spain from the CoMando tab when i first found it it but it was outta my skill level at the time...Im gonna dig it out and give it another go, along with The girl from Ipanema...thanks for the inspiration!
Jeff

hotclub
Feb-24-2005, 12:24am
Very Very Cool!

Milan Christi
Feb-24-2005, 1:16am
Very Nice!! Being a bluegrass-folk-oriented player it's cool to let my ears stroll "out of the box" for a while. Nice musicianship and recording. Great tone on the mando, too.

David Miller
Feb-24-2005, 9:28am
Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Mandolooter (Jeff)

Interestingly enough - Spain was going to be my next project. I have the Dave Grisman recording of it - along with about 6 other more traditional recordings (especially the original Return to Forever one) It has long been a favorite of mine. I have been working out the voicings for the chords....

Let me know how it turns out for you!

Keep those Mandos Picking!

SternART
Feb-24-2005, 9:50am
jazzzzzzzzzzzz..........yeaaaaaah!
zeit buba!

BlueMt.
Feb-24-2005, 11:39am
I just listened ........very nice!

michaell
Feb-24-2005, 12:00pm
Lovely! I always loved this tune.